What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Charlie Parker on Dial, volume 4 (Spotlite)

All that wonderful stuff! The October 28 1947 session. :tup

Yes, I'm very happy to have the Spotlight box set of the Complete Dial studio recordings.

Is this the best reissue on LP of this material? Or were there other earlier issues of this material with better sound?

Wouldn't know about that. Just bought the albums when they came out in the 70s. :)

Anyone know how does the sound quality of the 1970s Spotlite LPs compare with their 4CD reissue? I'm tempted to get the CDs..

Spinning - 'Bite Hard - De Wolfe Sessions' (Barely Breaking Even Records)

I have a four CD Japanese issue of the Dial recordings, and it sounds like it is a copy of the Spotlite box. I haven't heard the current combined Savoy/Dial CD box.

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't heard the Spotlites on CD, but I can say this. I first bought some Parker Dial tracks in 1959 on a French Guilde du Jazz 10" LP and, as I recall, the sound was so dire that when the Spotlites emerged, they sounded like a revelation.

Thanks Bill and kh1958 - sounds like I either need to get all of the LPs or a CD set. I've got a couple of the Lps.

The Individualism of Gil Evans - (Verve, stereo)

Whoops, sounds incredibly crime-jazzy on 45.

Ha !

For some reason my turntable 45rpm has been misbehaving of late and playing at 33rpm, which has really peeved me off with Music Matters and the Tubby EP. Back to dealer !

Charlie Parker on Dial, volume 4 (Spotlite)

All that wonderful stuff! The October 28 1947 session. :tup

Yes, I'm very happy to have the Spotlight box set of the Complete Dial studio recordings.

Is this the best reissue on LP of this material? Or were there other earlier issues of this material with better sound?

Wouldn't know about that. Just bought the albums when they came out in the 70s. :)

Anyone know how does the sound quality of the 1970s Spotlite LPs compare with their 4CD reissue? I'm tempted to get the CDs..

Spinning - 'Bite Hard - De Wolfe Sessions' (Barely Breaking Even Records)

I have a four CD Japanese issue of the Dial recordings, and it sounds like it is a copy of the Spotlite box. I haven't heard the current combined Savoy/Dial CD box.

The Stash 4CD set sounds good. Pretty comparable to Dial/Parlophone (ie UK pressings) 78s of the same material. 78s have slightly more vibrancy but also more surface noise (but that may be my set-up)

Haven't heard the Spotlites on CD, but I can say this. I first bought some Parker Dial tracks in 1959 on a French Guilde du Jazz 10" LP and, as I recall, the sound was so dire that when the Spotlites emerged, they sounded like a revelation.

Thanks Bill and kh1958 - sounds like I either need to get all of the LPs or a CD set. I've got a couple of the Lps.

I seem to remember hearing that the dreadful quality of the Parker Dials on early vinyl was due to his widow's unpreparedness to release the masters, but that Tony Williams got access for his Spotlites. (This needs confirmation, though.)

Sidewinder, having visited Ray's yesterday, I wanted to follow up your report on it, but can't locate the thread. Can you direct me to it? Thanks.

Edited by BillF

Sidewinder, having visited Ray's yesterday, I wanted to follow up your report on it, but can't locate the thread. Can you direct me to it? Thanks.

I've brought it back up in today's posts Bill. It's the 'Last Record Store standing' thread (or something like that).

Edited by sidewinder

Michael Brecker - Pilgrimage- Mobile Fidelity- :tdown nice session but avearge sound and pressing quality - good music, unimpressive product from Mob Fi - avoid it I would suggest and get the CD. Background noise, groove rubbing , mutliple crackles- nothing really bad , just not what you expect from an audiophile release. More like an average 80s pressing in mint condition if you know what I mean.

Pity as the other two Mob Fids I have ( Art Pepper The Way it Was and Milt Jackson Invitation) are really excellent

Edited by Clunky