• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

next

Dexter Gordon - Piss off - BN DMM

Don't remember the French releasing that one.. :unsure:

Shouldn't it be Pissin' Off?

Surely not! The LP would have had to have been called "Goin'" - as in Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis' "Pissin' off to the meetin'", to which (coincidentally) I've just been listening (on CD).

MG

George Lewis - Oh, Didn't He Ramble (Verve mono) One way to "read" the George Lewis story is through the many trumpet players who worked with him. Kid Howard played with him off and on from the 40s to the 60s, sometimes brilliantly, sometimes less so. Kid Shots Madison made his best records with Lewis. I really like the recordings from the 1960s with Jack Willis, who was practically a bebopper when compared to Lewis. George's favorite trumpeter was the rough-and-ready Elmer Talbert, who died young in the early 1950s. I think my favorite George Lewis trumpeter is Percy Humphrey, who replaced Talbert, but was unable to tour extensively due to his insurance business in New Orleans. Humphrey played a driving, exciting lead style which was almost totally pre-Armstrong in conception.

This 1958 album has Alvin Alcorn, who sounds great here. He has a beautiful sound, and kind of floats over the beat rather than swinging hard. George Lewis was one of those musicians who probably made too many records; this couldn't be called his best, but it's still beautiful.

next

Surely not! The LP would have had to have been called "Goin'" - as in Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis' "Pissin' off to the meetin'", to which (coincidentally) I've just been listening (on CD).

MG

Ah, just got it! :blush:

next

MG

Oh, you thought I meant this one

GordonBike.gif

MG

next

MG

Oh, you thought I meant this one

GordonBike.gif

MG

I now realise you meant Go! My original comment just referred to the fact that it almost seemed obligatory for jazz album titles in those days to include - - - in' :)

Kenny Graham & His Satellites 'Moondog & Suncat Suite' (Trunk Records). Dennis Preston/Joe Meek production - Trunk have done a very good job indeed with this one.

I remember seeing that; nice quaint sleeve. But Dennis Preston & Joe Meek?!?!?!? When was this? Before "Johnny remember me" and "Telstar"?

Was it a Lansdowne production issued on Columbia UK?

MG

Kenny Graham & His Satellites 'Moondog & Suncat Suite' (Trunk Records). Dennis Preston/Joe Meek production - Trunk have done a very good job indeed with this one.

I remember seeing that; nice quaint sleeve. But Dennis Preston & Joe Meek?!?!?!? When was this? Before "Johnny remember me" and "Telstar"?

MG

It was a Dennis Preston production recorded by Joe Meek. Issued in UK and US on MGM - before Dennis's UK Columbia days (recorded in 1956). So a few years before Telstar etc. - probably when Meek was first starting out.

And yes - the Joe Meek effects are there in abbundance. Weird sound effects, spooky echos, B-movie horror filmish wordless female vocals. Stan Tracey on accordion, even duck quacking noises on side 2 ! On the whole, not disimilar in sound to those Gil Melle Blue Note 10"s and even hints of 50s Sun Ra exotica.

I remember seeing that; nice quaint sleeve.

Artwork by Jean Miro ! Unfortunately, they couldn't use it on the reissue due to copyright/costs.

Edited by sidewinder

MG

It was a Dennis Preston production recorded by Joe Meek. Issued in UK and US on MGM - before Dennis's UK Columbia days (recorded in 1956). So a few years before Telstar etc. - probably when Meek was first starting out.

And yes - the Joe Meek effects are there in abbundance. Weird sound effects, spooky echos, B-movie horror filmish wordless female vocals. Stan Tracey on accordion, even duck quacking noises on side 2 ! On the whole, not disimilar in sound to those Gil Melle Blue Note 10"s and even hints of 50s Sun Ra exotica.

I remember seeing that; nice quaint sleeve.

Artwork by Jean Miro ! Unfortunately, they couldn't use it on the reissue due to copyright/costs.

Jean Miro! Wow!

Just finished

2763327805_9ffa1debaf.jpg

King Curtis plays the great Memphis hits - Atco

now

B B King - King of the blues guitar: Guitar instrumentals - Modern material first issued by Ace. Personnel unknown, except for the lead guitarist :) But it's BEAUTIFUL.

Astoundingly, NO image of this LP on the web.

MG

More R&B instrumentals - going north to Detroit

Todd Rhodes - Dance music that hits the spot - King (Swingtime, Denmark)

For those interested in such matters, Todd Rhodes was a founder member of McKinney's Cotton Pickers in 1923 (and the reason I got interested in that band a couple of years ago). He stayed with the band until 1934. Formed an R&B band in the late forties and had a #1 R&B hit with "Blues for the red boy". Great little band. Halley Dismukes on alto was a great fan of Jeep and "Red boy is based on "Jeep's blues".

MG