• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

c44098wrs05.jpg

legacy4.jpg

I've these two sessions which are pretty good. For a blues beginner ( ie. me) Is the series as a whole worth looking out for. Any standouts ?

I have the Big Joe Williams, Robert Pete Williams, Juke Boy Bonner, and J.D. Short from this series. All of those are very good records. There might be other recordings by those artists that I or others might prefer, but that takes nothing away from their Legacy records.

I avoided the Lightnin' Hopkins, Champion Jack Dupree, Memphis Slim, Sunnyland Slim, & Eddie Boyd recordings in this series because the reviews didn't speak well of them and the artists tended to be overrecorded, even back then.

c44098wrs05.jpg

legacy4.jpg

I've these two sessions which are pretty good. For a blues beginner ( ie. me) Is the series as a whole worth looking out for. Any standouts ?

I have a few also, and they good. I should point out that the Snooks Eaglin LP I mentioned a few posts ago, although billed as a blues album, really isn't Blues with a capital B. It's more like New Orleans R & B, albeit played on solo guitar with no rhythm section.

Jeremy Steig - Flute Fever (Columbia 2-eye mono promo). I hadn't heard this one in awhile, and I wanted to refresh my memory and see if it is really as good as JLH has been saying. Yep.

Gil Evans Plus Ten, from the '70's twofer Gil Evans/Tadd Dameron - The Arrangers' Touch (Prestige). My amazement is split between the incredible charts and young Steve Lacy's solos. And the record sounds pretty good, too, even if it's far from an original pressing.

Gil Evans Plus Ten, from the '70's twofer Gil Evans/Tadd Dameron - The Arrangers' Touch (Prestige). My amazement is split between the incredible charts and young Steve Lacy's solos. And the record sounds pretty good, too, even if it's far from an original pressing.

All wonderful stuff, which I have on various vinyl. You've got three historic sessions there, with the omission of "Bulla-Babe" from the Dameronia album.

All wonderful stuff, which I have on various vinyl. You've got three historic sessions there, with the omission of "Bulla-Babe" from the Dameronia album.

I bought that one new in the late 70's - I think it was one of my first 20 jazz LPs.

Just finished playing: Willie Bryant and Jimmie Lunceford and Their Orchestras (RCA Bluebird), disc two. All of the Bryant & Lunceford Victor sides. Bryant's wasn't the best big band of the time, but Teddy Wilson, Ben Webster, Benny Carter, Cozy Cole and Taft Jordan show up on various sessions.

Edited by jeffcrom