We're on iTunes

That's great, it will make the band better known.

Would it be possible to offer the two tunes that you have recorded more recently and offered for download here as a "free single" in iTunes, or doesn't that fit into their scheme because those are not album tracks?

I just bought it on i-Tunes. Grooving to it right now. Good stuff. But if you hadn't posted I never would have found it. Was it ever in the "just added" list? If so, when? I usually check that every week but I might have missed your listing.

Edited by medjuck

Would it be possible to offer the two tunes that you have recorded more recently and offered for download here as a "free single" in iTunes, or doesn't that fit into their scheme because those are not album tracks?

I have no idea. Worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Maybe not a "free" single, but I know that iTunes carries exclusive "bonus tracks" all the time. I've downloaded bonus cuts from The Bad Plus, Elvis Costello, Brad Mehldau, Joss Stone, and some of the artists on the Marsalis Music label (Doug Wamble, Miguel Zenon, and Joey Calderazzo). I, for one, would love to pick up a few new Organissimo tunes!

Also, not to hijack your thread Jim, but while you're on iTunes check out "Variations" and "Distance" by The Brian Patneaude Quartet. Brian is a good friend of mine and a great saxophonist. His quartet plays advanced post-bop and is quite big in the Capital District (ever since the passing of Nick Brignola, Brian has won all of the local jazz polls). Good stuff! I even named their first album!

Guest DizzySpells

Congrats!  Any other services as well?

Yes, supposedly we are on "Sony Connect, EMEPE3, QTRnote, CatchMusic, RuleRadio, Napster, BuyMusic, MusicMatch, Apple iTunes, MusicNet, Emusic, and AudioLunchbox", although I haven't checked all those sites. But that's what CDBaby tells me.

I hate to break it to you guys, but you've also made the illegal circuits. Try to see the silver lining - it's also a sign that people are taking note. If it helps, I can state for myself that I resisted the temptation of downloading your CD lossless for free.

I want the CD.

Autographed.

:tup Well done fellas. Having your music exposed to non - board members will undoubtedly increase sales. Having it legally available too gives you the peace of mind that the freeloaders are less likely to get their way. I hope.

:tup:tup:tup

Congrats!  Any other services as well?

Yes, supposedly we are on "Sony Connect, EMEPE3, QTRnote, CatchMusic, RuleRadio, Napster, BuyMusic, MusicMatch, Apple iTunes, MusicNet, Emusic, and AudioLunchbox", although I haven't checked all those sites. But that's what CDBaby tells me.

I hate to break it to you guys, but you've also made the illegal circuits. Try to see the silver lining - it's also a sign that people are taking note. If it helps, I can state for myself that I resisted the temptation of downloading your CD lossless for free.

I want the CD.

Autographed.

Oh, it doesn't surprise me. We've almost got this second run of CDs paid off, so we're about to break even. That's all I can ask for.

Dizzy, PM me about where... I'm just curious! :)

JazzKat, you don't have to download the record. You can buy a "hardcopy" at CDBaby. We get mo' money that way! :) But either/or is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, supposedly we are on "Sony Connect, EMEPE3, QTRnote, CatchMusic, RuleRadio, Napster, BuyMusic, MusicMatch, Apple iTunes, MusicNet, Emusic, and AudioLunchbox", although I haven't checked all those sites. But that's what CDBaby tells me

A question out of idle curiosity... If you are on Napster, how do you get paid with their subscription business model? If the info is sharable, of course. Not the actual amount but the model. Do you get a share of the subscription amount for as long as the person who downloaded your tracks keeps paying the monthly subscription fee?

Edited by chandra

Do you get a share of the subscription amount for as long as the person who downloaded your tracks keeps paying the monthly subscription fee?

Any service that uses the Windows Janus DRM, tracks usage of all tracks (streams, downloads, transfers). This usage is then passed back to the record labels, distributors, ASCAP, BMI, etc. Not sure where it goes from there, but I do know that it's tracked on usage per track.

Do you get a share of the subscription amount for as long as the person who downloaded your tracks keeps paying the monthly subscription fee?

Any service that uses the Windows Janus DRM, tracks usage of all tracks (streams, downloads, transfers). This usage is then passed back to the record labels, distributors, ASCAP, BMI, etc. Not sure where it goes from there, but I do know that it's tracked on usage per track.

Does DRM allow tracking usage at the 'consumer' level both at the downloading device like the computer as well as portable devices where the songs are moved to? For a subscription based service like Napster, usage tracking needs to be at that level. ( assuming payments to the artists is based on end user usage ).

Does DRM allow tracking usage at the 'consumer' level both at the downloading device like the computer as well as portable devices where the songs are moved to? For a subscription based service like Napster, usage tracking needs to be at that level. ( assuming payments to the artists is based on end user usage ).

Yes, it tracks at the consumer level at least for the initial transfer...not sure if it keeps tabs on usage rights once the songs are on the portable device. Tracks exported to portable devices have specific Janus licenses tied to them, if you don't sync your MP3 player regularly, the subscription (rental) license for the tracks expire at your montly billing cycle date.