Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

232.jpg

Buddy Rich along with Ron S. Disc 3 at the moment.

You mean that I'm on those recordings with Buddy??? :blink:

How could I have forgotten working with such a sweetheart? :ph34r:

How are you liking it?

I've only made it through the first 2 discs so far and, so far so good. I really liked the last session on Disc 2 with Barney Kessel.

Buddy Rich, discs 5-7

232.jpg

No Jim Nabors in this set . . . . . . yet.

After making my first pass through this set my initial general impressions:

-I was a bit disappointed with the lack of Jim Nabors on the set.

-I'm not a drum-centric person so I was a bit apprehensive picking this one up. I went into it with the mindset that since this was a drummer's set, the drums are probably going to have a greater prescence than what I usually listen to but there was not nearly the number of drawn out solos I thought there would be.

-I like Harry "Sweets" Edison but surprisingly, I grew much more weary of hearing his muted trumpet (open that horn up!) before I did any of Buddy's longer solos. I'll have to make a point of not listening to those CDs so close together.

-Buddy has a remarkable talent! Some of his cymbal/high-hat work was simply stunning and I loved what he did to comp behind the soloist and what he did with his fills.

-The sessions that stand out the most in my mind right now are those which featured Barney Kessel and Flip Phillips. The Sweets sessions are good as well but for me, need to be taken in in smaller doses. (see above)

-While some of the drum solos are definitely a bit long, I found most of them rewarding as a seperate entity from the song. For me, it's kind of like they were an interruption in the song where you had to change gears and give this seperate thing a listen before the song resumed. Given that mindset, shifting gears and listening to the lengthy solos like a separate entity made them much more tolerable to me. They're certainly a display of his incredible talent. Some of the things he does are just incredible. Wow!!

-I'm very happy with the set. It really swings and I'm looking forward to giving it a closer listen very soon.

Edited by mikelz777