Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spinning Dizzy Gillespie "Verve Philips" (that guy again :lol: ) CD 6. Some great arrangements from Tom McIntosh on the earlier tracks (with fine quintet performances from Msrs Gillespie, Barron and Moody in particular). The Double Six of Paris tracks take a bit more getting into for me but starting to dig it. :)

Many of the arrangements are quite predictable and unimaginative...

I listen to this and all I can hear in my head is ... "this is NOT Oliver Nelson." <_< <_<

Quincy Jones set... Disc 3..

I know some on this board warned me... I'm finding it is a bit of a disappointment.... :(

Oh dear - what don't you specifically like about this one? (which is on my long-range list). :unsure:

I listen to this and all I can hear in my head is ... "this is NOT Oliver Nelson." <_< <_<

I know some on this board warned me... I'm finding it is a bit of a disappointment.... :(

Oh dear - what don't you specifically like about this one? (which is on my long-range list). :unsure:

Not sure if this is a positive or negative. :ph34r:

negative...

Guess you're not a big Nelson fan, Chuck?

Not sure if this is a positive or negative. :ph34r:

Edited by tranemonk

negative...

Guess you're not a big Nelson fan, Chuck?

I was a fan of the early Prestige and Impulse recordings. Later he seemed to find some sort of "Oliver Nelson cut and paste book". The Verve date called Full Nelson was my first alert to this.

Quincy had earlier followed a similar path to greater financial rewards.

Woody Herman Philips Recordings (Mosaic, MS-031)

MS031.jpg

I just rec'd this one last week and this is probably my favorite edition of the Herman Herds. Nistico, Hanna, Nat Pierce and some great arranging/writing. A gem!

Marla

Totally agree. I already had about half of this material; I'm happy to have everything in one very nice package. Mosaic comes through again!