Is it allowed to post from two locations

skeith

You can log into the board from every computer that is connected to the internet. You only need to know the user name and password of your account.

If you use a public computer or share a PC with co-workers or family members, be sure to log out at the end of the session (link on top left of the page next to your name), because somebody else could use your ID if the browser is still logged in.

Another recommendation for forum junkies: If you are registered on many forums, use a different password for everyone, because an admin of one forum with access to the database can find out your password and could use it on the other boards. I'm not thinking about the Organissimo admins of course.

Edited by Claude

I already mentioned I have posted from a number of different places.

Each time, I logged in. But I did not log out each time.

Could this pose a problem to the Organissimo software?

No, it's only a privacy issue for you (someone else posting with your account).

It depends if a permanent or temporary browser cookie has been set:

If you choose the "remember me" option when log in, a permanent cookie with your (encrypted) login details will be saved on the PC, and you will be logged in automatically when you return to the board, even if the PC has been switched off in between sessions.

If you don't use the "remember me" option, a temporary cookie will be set, that is valid for that browsing session only. When you close the browser, it is deleted.

Unfortunatley, the "remember me" option is ticked by default on the log in page, so if you are on a public computer and forget to change to "No" when you log in, a permanent cookie will be set, which will only be deleted when you click on log out, but not when you simply close the browser.

Edited by Claude

I already mentioned I have posted from a number of different places.

Each time, I logged in. But I did not log out each time.

Could this pose a problem to the Organissimo software?

No, it's only a privacy issue for you (someone else posting with your account).

It depends if a permanent or temporary browser cookie has been set:

If you choose the "remember me" option when log in, a permanent cookie with your (encrypted) login details will be saved on the PC, and you will be logged in automatically when you return to the board, even if the PC has been switched off in between sessions.

If you don't use the "remember me" option, a temporary cookie will be set, that is valid for that browsing session only. When you close the browser, it is deleted.

Unfortunatley, the "remember me" option is ticked by default on the log in page, so if you are on a public computer and forget to change to "No" when you log in, a permanent cookie will be set, which will only be deleted when you click on log out, but not when you simply close the browser.

But it's no problem using network-computers, right? I mean, I log in to the computers at the two places I work, and then only if someone logged in as me (my "name" and password), he would be able to access organissimo as me, right? If someone logs in with his own name/password on the same computer, and I forgot to log out the day before, he can't see a thing, right?

ubu

Yes, everything is correct, except for the last part:

If someone logs in with his own name/password on the same computer, and I forgot to log out the day before, he can't see a thing, right?

Suppose you had the permanent cookie set ("Remember me" option) and you forgot to log out. If somebody else uses the PC after you (even after it was shut down) and goes to organissimo.org/forum, he will be automatically logged in as "king ubu" and be able to post under that name. That's why the log in page warns that this option should not be used on shared PCs.

If the other user has his own organissimo account, he can log out as "king ubu" and log in again with his own user/pass.

As far as shared PCs at work and in the family are concerned, every regular user should have his own personal Windows account, with own desktop shortcuts, bookmarks, logins, internet history etc. A guest account can be set up for visitors. Multi-user capabilities are an essential feature of Windows NT4, 2000 and XP. With Windows 95/98/Me they are very limited.

Edit: Now I see you probably mean that the other user has his own *Windows* user account, right? Well in that case the last paragraph of my answer applies. Every Windows user has his own Internet Explorer cookies. Other browsers like Netscape or Opera can be configured for a multi-user environment too.

Edited by Claude

Edit: Now I see you probably mean that the other user has his own *Windows* user account, right? Well in that case the last paragraph of my answer applies. Every Windows user has his own Internet Explorer cookies. Other browsers like Netscape or Opera can be configured for a multi-user environment too.

Thanks. That was just what I tried to find words for...

ubu

In any case, if posting from a computer other than my own at home, I always delete all internet files after logging out. Depends on the browser how it works, what browser do you use? Some browsers save passwords and usernames you fill in etc. and they will pop up automatically when you type in the first letter when you try to log in.

In any case, if posting from a computer other than my own at home, I always delete all internet files after logging out. Depends on the browser how it works, what browser do you use? Some browsers save passwords and usernames you fill in etc. and they will pop up automatically when you type in the first letter when you try to log in.

Can't delete anything on MSIE, right? I do delete where I can, but on one computer I'm using while at work, I have no access to the "Internet Options", so no chance...

And no chance to download Opera, there, either.

ubu

Try Avant Browser, an add-on that enhances the options of MSIE, it's freeware and incorporates many of the nice features of OPERA. It's much easier to delete ALL internet files in MSIE through the Avant Browser features - and the program is only 1 MB! (which means you could download at home to a floppy disk and install it from there .... )

Edited by mikeweil

Try Avant Browser, an add-on that enhances the options of MSIE, it's freeware and incorporates many of the nice features of OPERA. It's much easier to delete ALL internet files in MSIE through the Avant Browser features - and the program is only 1 MB! (which means you could download at home to a floppy disk and install it from there .... )

Oh, well, I just downloaded this thing - hope the IT-guys won't come at me now ;)

Looks good. I'm already using it! Thanks, Mike.

ubu

Yes. I use it on four computers :)

The email address does not matter. You use the email address once to register in the forum, and then it is only needed for special optional notifications or when you forgot your password and want to retrieve it again.

BTW: An email address is not related to a specific PC. You can have many email accounts and use them on many PCs, you just need to configure the email program on the PCs to access the relevant email server.