Mosaic Select: Carmell Jones

The Carmell Jones Select is a wise investment. It brings attention to a very distinctive trumpet player whose albums were pretty hard to find. And those albums all contained outstanding music.

Was spinning disc 2 last night and enjoyed it immensely. The unreleased session with Frank Strazzeri and Hadley Caliman on disc 3 is a real discovery.

You'll enjoy this Select!

Delivery takes an average of 3 days, in my experiance. This is one of my favorite Selects. A talented musician who's been somewhat overlooked finally gets a showcase here. Great for either close listening or doing the dishes/driving background. Chances are high that you will like it. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

To my ears, the 'folk music' is quite good. Yeah, each song starts and ends with the familiar folk song melody (which is well-played in its own right). In between the beginning and the ending of each tune, however, is good old jazz, played in a grand style. I have no problems with the music. It makes the old folk tunes sound the way they should have always sounded.

Carmell takes the folk out of the folk, and replaces it with some swing and funk like that form of music ain't never seen. B)

Edited by wesbed

Perhaps I wasn't clear: it's not the folkness of the material that I have a prob with, it's Carmel et al's seeming need to make it 'hip'...I know this is not an attitude unique to this group or this material, but for some reason it bugs me more here. There are 'jazzed up' folk tunes that work perfectly well for me, e.g. Coltrane's "Greensleeves" or even Clifford Jordan's Leadbelly album, but this one doesn't. Carmel et al can certainly play, but I gotta wonder why they did this material. One of the things I like about guys like Ayler is that they (seemed to?) reject the whole notion of 'hipness'...but that's probably a rant for another thread.

• 2 years later...

I just pulled the trigger on this one. I look forward to receiving it hopefully by the end of the week and will post my impressions then. Sounds like I can't go wrong here.

I bought this just before the $39->$44 price increase. You won't go wrong. The Gerald Wilson and Frank Strazzeri sessions are real finds. I enjoy the folk music session (which is problematical for some), and Harold Land is in great form there. Lots of Land in the box, if you're a fan...

It's a great stealth Harold Land mini-Select and Gerald Wilson too.

My thoughts too. The "bigger band" dates that Wilson was involved in are really the highlight of the set for me.

Well, and all that Land too.

LOTS of reason to like the Carmell set, beyond just Carmell.

Edited by Rooster_Ties