Artists Who Should Have Had a Mosaic...

No love here for a Jimmy Lunceford set?

ubu

Oh yes, there is love for it! ^_^ That band just plain rocked!

Someone else from the same era that is taken for granted IMO is Benny Carter! How about a set of his late 20's thru Europe in the 30's??? Lets face it a fair number here don't dig into the early days of jazz, unless it is a mosaic....

The lamented Masters of Jazz label from France had both Benny Carter and Jimmie Lunceford series in their releases.

The Lunceford series went to volume 7 at least and reached the year 1940 to include all the pre-1940 Decca sides.

The Carters series reached vol. 9 up to 1939.

And their CDs were complete and pretty well remastered.

The Lunceford Masters of Jazz series did indeed end with volume 7. ;) The Lunceford big band seems to be highly underappreciated these days. IMO, they were (ok, almost) as swinging as the Basie or Ellington bands, although not having as many great musicians. One main grouse is they featured far too many trite Dan Grissom vocals. :blink: And yeh, I'll buy the Mosaic if only for the booklet and box. B)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbia released 2.5 live albums - TEARS OF JOY, AT FILMORE, and AUTUMN (the .5). The odds of there being more material from those dates is not too bad, I'd think.

Also, AUTUMN has only seen European(?) CD issue, and the other two have never made it to cd at all as far as I know. Just a live set would be nice, since the other Columbias not yet on cd (GOES UNDERGROUND & CONNECTION) might be too "over the top" for the Mosaic "concept", even though they both contain some really interesting moments ("Bulgarian bulge", anybody?).

The problem with a live-only set is that it leaves out ESSENCE, the PJ 4tet date w/Paul Bley & Gary Peacock, an item that I've never heard, but have long been curious about. With those people on board, I'm surprised that it's not seen at least one cd issue yet!

Mosaic did have a Lunceford Decca set on the drawing board, several years ago... shortly before Universal slammed the door on them for awhile. From what I've heard, it's very unlikely that it will ever be done, even though Universal has since given Mosaic the keys to the vaults on occasion. Isn't there some kind of licensing headache w/the Lunceford Deccas that goes beyond Universal? Maybe one of us should drop Stamford a line & find out for sure...

PFunkJazz, there actually is a Johnny Smith Mosaic--unless you're referring to recordings he did for other labels.

In addition to the many excellent suggestions already made, I've been lobbying for a Herb Pomeroy Big Band Select, covering the four EMI-owned albums that he did in the late 1950s:

1955 Jazz in a Stable Transition

1957 Life is a Many Splendered Gig Roulette

1958 Band in Boston United Artists

1958 Detour Ahead United Artists

E-mailed this suggestion to Mosaic, and got a reply from MC saying "Risky, but tempting." Hope they decide to take the risk!

Call me crazy, but how about Earl Bostic?

And how about a Clifford Scott Mosaic Select? He recorded 3 LPs for Pacific Jazz / World Pacific in the 60's, and appeared as a "star" soloist on a number of others including a Gil Fuller / James Moody date, NIGHT FLIGHT...).

Edited by Joe

Call me crazy, but how about Earl Bostic?

And how about a Clifford Scott Mosaic Select? He recorded 3 LPs for Pacific Jazz / World Pacific in the 60's, and appeared as a "star" soloist on a number of others including a Gil Fuller / James Moody date, NIGHT FLIGHT...).

Earl Bostic? The Classics label is in the middle of an Earl Bostic series in their Blues & Rhythm series. They have released the fourth CD. Everything Bostic recorded under his name until 1953 and more to come...

I'll second the Clifford Scott Select. Time to reevaluate (and reissue) his Pacific Jazz contributions

Don Ellis on Pacific Jazz and/or Columbia (kinda dicey on this one).

I was thinking about Don Ellis, but I'm wondering if it all (or just about all) hasn't already been released on CD.

How about a Select collecting some rarer sides? We wouldn't need the two Pacific albums again at the moment, I suppose, but the Koch reissues are badly distributed (or not distributed at all), and go OOP fast, too. I'm sure there would be some things to collect. Also, possibly some unreleased stuff? The Pacific CDs had plenty of!

ubu

In addition to the many excellent suggestions already made, I've been lobbying for a Herb Pomeroy Big Band Select, covering the four EMI-owned albums that he did in the late 1950s:

1955 Jazz in a Stable Transition

1957 Life is a Many Splendered Gig Roulette

1958 Band in Boston United Artists

1958 Detour Ahead United Artists

E-mailed this suggestion to Mosaic, and got a reply from MC saying "Risky, but tempting." Hope they decide to take the risk!

How about some of us dropping some mails re: Pomery? A nice idea! I have only got a crappy Freshsound reissue of "Live is a many splendored thing". Pomeroy sure deserves a bit of exposion! Glad to hear him on the BFT, by the way!

ubu

How about some of us dropping some mails re: Pomery? A nice idea! I have only got a crappy Freshsound reissue of "Live is a many splendored thing". Pomeroy sure deserves a bit of exposion! Glad to hear him on the BFT, by the way!

ubu

Though uncredited, Zoot Sims takes the tenor saxophone solos on that very nice 'Life Is A Many-Splendored Gig' album.

ubu

Though uncredited, Zoot Sims takes the tenor saxophone solos on that very nice 'Life Is A Many-Splendored Gig' album.

Nice to know! I always wonder who the soloist on that disc are when listening, as there's no identification at hand, I don't know most of the musicians involved.

Do you happen to know if Byard can be heard in solo? I don't have anything else where he's on saxophone.

ubu

Nice to know! I always wonder who the soloist on that disc are when listening, as there's no identification at hand, I don't know most of the musicians involved.

Do you happen to know if Byard can be heard in solo? I don't have anything else where he's on saxophone.

ubu

Don't have the Roulette album with me right now. But I seem to remember that Zoot Sims played all the tenor saxophone solos.

The Lunceford Masters of Jazz series did indeed end with volume 7. ;) The Lunceford big band seems to be highly underappreciated these days. IMO, they were (ok, almost) as swinging as the Basie or Ellington bands, although not having as many great musicians. One main grouse is they featured far too many trite Dan Grissom vocals. :blink: And yeh, I'll buy the Mosaic if only for the booklet and box. B)

Masters of Jazz published a volume 8 in their Lunceford series. It brought the Lunceford sides complete up to April 1941. Mastering on that one was done by John R.T. Davies.

ubu

ubu

Spinned this. Zoot Sims is easily recognisable as the tenorsax player taking all the solos. Wonder why his name was kept, out of the personnel listing?

Jaki Byard does not seem to play any solo even on 'Aluminium Baby' which he wrote.

Byard played altosax on a couple of sides of his Prestige albums. He is also listed as playing piano, alto and tenorsax on the Muse album 'Family Man' but never heard that one.

The problem with a live-only set is that it leaves out ESSENCE, the PJ 4tet date w/Paul Bley & Gary Peacock, an item that I've never heard, but have long been curious about. With those people on board, I'm surprised that it's not seen at least one cd issue yet!

Jim.. Some of these sides have made it to CD in Japan ( as usual) but I found some of them on one of those Giants of Jazz ( Italian) CDs simply called Don Ellis CD53262

The CD is mainly the Candid album " Out of Nowhere " A Bley / Swallow trio, all the master takes 5 with the trio, 1 each duet with Swallow and Bley separately and a solo effort by Ellis alone

According to the discographies , two alternate takes exist.

The rest of the CD has half of the Pacific Jazz date " Essence" .. 4 tracks

plus 3 of the 5 tracks that make up the Candid set, " How Time Passes" with Jaki Byard on piano.

The whole Byard Candid set was recently available as Don Ellis .. A Simplex One on the cheap Past Perfect label.. which I also have.

An "early" pre big band Ellis would be welcome though.

Edited by P.D.

bring in several tracks on the 'Blakey Featuring Art Blakey' disc that didn't make it to the 'Introducing Joe Gordon' re-issue

No tracks with Joe Gordon were omittted on the Verve Elite CD. The only material that could have been included was the rare Emarcy quartet session that Blakey did with Henry Durant. The Elite CD is complete as far as the "Gordon/Blakey on Emarcy" concept is concerned.

See my website for complete Joe Gordon discography. Not a logical Mosaic choice in my view.

Mike

Now, for Don Ellis, what about the mysterious Enrica album from February 1960 (with Ron Carter's recorded debut). Ellis, Byard, Carter, Persip. Throw that one into a Don Ellis pre-big band set - I'd buy it, even though I have just about everything else already. I've also heard some interesting 1963 Ellis rehearsal recordings. Don't know if something releasable could be culled from them.

Mike

i am not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but with the recent death of ray charles, i have been listening to alot of ray lately.

i was reading the liner notes to rhino's "blues + jazz" comp and billy vera claims that he is working on a complete tangerine set for mosaic. this set is a few years old, so i am assuming that nothing ever came of this.

does anyone know what happened?

The Lunceford Masters of Jazz series did indeed end with volume 7. ;)  The Lunceford big band seems to be highly underappreciated these days. IMO, they were (ok, almost) as swinging as the Basie or Ellington bands, although not having as many great musicians. One main grouse is they featured far too many trite Dan Grissom vocals. :blink:  And yeh, I'll buy the Mosaic if only for the booklet and box. B)

Masters of Jazz published a volume 8 in their Lunceford series. It brought the Lunceford sides complete up to April 1941. Mastering on that one was done by John R.T. Davies.

Thanks for the info Brownie. Gonna place an order for it at CDZone UK, about the only online store that offers to procure it. Will probably be backordered for ages, but no harm trying. ^_^

Hawk definitely should get a Mosaic set. Perhaps a re-reissue of the Keynotes?

How about the Mercury live sessions by Quincy Jones' big band of the late 50s/early 60s? There seems to be enough material to do a Select. I may be wrong, but so far, the music seems to have been released only in piecemeal fashion. AMG has quite good reviews of the band, which had a quite a few 'star' names in its lineup, the arrangements and the music.