Wendell Marshall

Morganized

I recently purchased an Ike Quebec, Soul Samba, mostly to fill some holes in my collection. Much to my surprise I have been enjoying this one more than I anticipated. I think Ike's playing is soulful as always, but I have really enjoyed the sidemen on this one. Kenny Burrell is outstanding but I have been fascinated with the bassist Wendell Marshall. The guy is very creative and has a really nice touch.

I am not familiar with him. Looked him up on AMG(yes the NEW version, only took a week!) and saw that he was in the Ellington band. Did he ever record with smaller groups? Are there any sessions that anyone would recommend?

Thanks for the help.

He's on a TON of Prestige and Swingville sessions around 1959-60. (Type his name into the towerrecords.com search engine!)

I was just last night listening to the compilation of Bill Jennings sessions, where Marshall's in the rhythm section with Jack McDuff. This is pretty light stuff, but so sweet and tasty. One false move and the cake would collapse. It never does. Marshall keeps it floating. (Mixed metaphor, but you know what I mean.)

Edited by Spontooneous

Wendell Marshall was Jimmie Blanton's cousin. Blanton gave him his first lessons on the bass. He was in Duke Ellington's orchestra from 1948 to 1955.

He was the house bassist for Savoy records in addition to the numerous sessions he took part in with Prestige and other labels.

A favorite Savoy session with Marshall is the Hank Jones trio date with Kenny Clarke that was reissued under Clarke's name. Marshall was also on the Milt Jackson-Lucky Thompson Savoy sessions that need to be properly reissued.

Wendell Marshall was Jimmie Blanton's cousin. Blanton gave him his first lessons on the bass. He was in Duke Ellington's orchestra from 1948 to 1955.

...., AFAIK he also played Jimmy Blanton's bass!

IMHO, one of the greatest bassists of his generation. I'd recommend any Savoy or Prestige session just for his playing.

Too bad he retired from playing in 1968, after spending almost 10 years in Broadway pit bands.

That Hank Jones Trio is a favorite, and recorded by RVG the afternoon I was born!

I've been a big fan of Marshall for some time. Such a wonderful tone, and swinging with great ideas too. . . he had all you need in a bass player. I kept discovering more and more great sessions with him as I collected all those Savoy/Denon cds starting about 12 years ago or so. . . !

Thanks guys. I knew I would get some good info. and recommendations from the group. I will have to check out that Hank Jones recommendation. Looks pretty tasty.

Brad, thanks for the tip. If you find out which Lee Morgan albums he was on let me know. I seem to be a fan of both..... :g:g:g

Thanks again.