Joe Henderson's composition 'Soulin'

bertrand

Joe Henderson has a composition entitled 'Soulin' that he published in Horace Silver's publishing company. The only recording I know is on Duke Pearson's Prairie Dog (1966), on which Joe does not appear. But Joe copyrighted this piece in 1960, before he even started recording (which was May 1963, despite what AMG says).

Was this recorded elsewhere, possibly with Joe on board?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

A correction:

1960 is the date written by hand on the copyright deposit for 'Soulin'' (which I was looking at at lunch today while gathering some Horace Silver stuff for a friend who's doing a concert in October). I assume this is Joe's handwriting. However, according to www.loc.gov, the copyright date is from 1964.

1960 must be the date of composition (although I could have sworn it said 'copyright 1960').

Bertrand.

Very interesting!

As I was looking up 'Soulin' (before I saw your posting), this is what I found:

1. Registration Number: RE-601-483

Title: Soulin'. m acJoe Henderson.

Claimant: Joe Henderson [Author]

Effective Registration Date: 16Dec92

Original Registration Date: 15Apr64;

Original Registration Number: EU821331.

Original Class: E

2. Registration Number: RE-601-609

Title: Soulin'; instrumental. m acRoy Brooks.

Claimant: Roy Brooks [Author]

Effective Registration Date: 16Dec92

Original Registration Date: 20Mar64;

Original Registration Number: EU818027.

Original Class: E

Note that they were renewed ON THE SAME DAY, and the original copyrights are only a month apart.

So I need some more information:

1. Are the two compositions (the one from Beat and the one from Prairie Dog) really the same?

2. Who gets composer credit on the Brooks album?

3. Does Joe play on the Brooks album?

Note: I just checked allmusic.com; Joe gets credit for 'Soulin'', and they also do 'Homestretch', so I guess Joe is on this record. When was it recorded?

This leads to a very thorny issue: in case of dispute over authorship of this piece, Brooks has the edge due to the earlier copyright date. HOWEVER, Joe's lead sheet alludes to a 1960 date of composition. Hmmm...

Bertrand.

Henderson has credit on the Brooks album for Soulin' (he also has credit for "Homestretch".)

According to this discography the album was recorded (or maybe its released, its not clear) in August of '64.

The band is

Blue Mitchell

Gene Taylor

Hugh Lawson

George Bohannon

Junior Cook

Roy Brooks

I don't have the Pearson album so I can't compare tunes.

Edited by Dan Gould

Thanks, Dan.

So, this is essentially the Horace Silver quintet with Hugh Lawson and Bohannon in addition (what does he play?).

The two 'Soulin' tunes must be the same since Joe is credited in both cases (I don't have Prairie Dog either). The only remaining mystery is why Roy copyrighted it as his own tune, even though Joe was given credit on the LP.

Bertrand.

Bohannon is a trombonist who started in Detroit, led a couple of dates himself on Workshop Jazz, moved to L.A. and did the studio thing along with the jazz thing. I'm pretty sure he's still active.

The cover was in one of those Album cover books that came out after the first BN album cover book, and when I saw, as you say, that it was practically a Horace Silver Quintet without Horace, I immediately wanted it. Took a while but Bill Fenohr tracked down a copy, and now I believe its available from one of those Fresh Sound associated companies, isn't it?

Jack Wilson recorded a tune called Soulin' for Blue Note in 1969. It remains unissued so we may never know whether it's the same (although I suppose MC has heard it).

Wilson also recorded it in July of 1970 in several unissued performances from "Memory Lane" in L.A. Looks like he was using it as a closing theme.