Impulse! labelography.

Dmitry

From a 1992 edition of the Goldmine Price Guide to Jazz Albums 1949-1969:

''Original Impulse albums (1-100 and the first few titles on the 9000 series) through 1968 had an orange and brown label...

...From 1969 through 1972, the label was red and black; from 1973-74, black; and from 1974-78, purple and green.'

Couple of corrections to the Goldmine info (big friggin' suprise). The first Impulse! labels were printed in orange and black (like the jackets). What they see as brown is the result of overprinting orange with black ink. Later the purple and green label was also reproduced occasionally as yellow and orange.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a UK Impulse of an uncertain age, the sleeve is gatefold thick card type and says made in USA but the LP is from the UK

Clunky - I can tell you exectly when these came out. Summer of 1976. I remember picking up a bundle with some of my very hard earned Summer job cash. The jackets were from the US and a bit worn, even as new. The vinyl was pristine - in fact the version of 'Love Supreme' I have from this vintage is about the best I've ever heard. From that first batch I also picked up 'Blues and the Abstract Truth'. At the time they were a source of major excitement, as Impulses were pretty thin on the ground here in the UK (I believe that the originals were issued here in the UK on the HMV label with dog logo - I have an Archie Shepp LP with this).

The one Impulse pressing that I thoroughly hate are those mid-70s flimsy green pressings. Every time I look at them they just reek of 70s oil price escalation and third-hand inferior vinyl. And they are always invariably warped.. :rmad:

Edited by sidewinder

Here's a UK Impulse of an uncertain age, the sleeve is gatefold thick card type and says made in USA but the LP is from the UK

Clunky - I can tell you exectly when these came out. Summer of 1976. I remember picking up a bundle with some of my very hard earned Summer job cash. The jackets were from the US and a bit worn, even as new. The vinyl was pristine - in fact the version of 'Love Supreme' I have from this vintage is about the best I've ever heard. From that first batch I also picked up 'Blues and the Abstract Truth'. At the time they were a source of major excitement, as Impulses were pretty thin on the ground here in the UK (I believe that the originals were issued here in the UK on the HMV label with dog logo - I have an Archie Shepp LP with this).

The one Impulse pressing that I thoroughly hate are those mid-70s flimsy green pressings. Every time I look at them they just reek of 70s oil price escalation and third-hand inferior vinyl. And they are always invariably warped.. :rmad:

Thanks, sleeve is actually pretty crisp and vinyl is super quiet, I follow your advice and avoid any green Impulses !!

Just checking out my Impulses in the rack right now. The other one I have from that US/UK release batch is 'Africa Brass'. As you say, the vinyl is super quiet, hardly a crackle, just an awesome LP. The second batch of these I recall actually had UK sleeves (they were not so substantial ;) ) but the vinyl quality was again excellent. I have 'Coltrane', 'Out of the Cool' and 'Mingus Mingus Mingus..' from this batch.

The worst problem I've had has been with those double LP 'Dedication Series' sets. Some wonderful music on these but the vinyl sucks...

• 5 years later...

What is the last title to be originally issued with the orange and black label? The last that I have is Dizzy Gillespie, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, A-9149.

Similarly, what is the last title to be originally issued with the red and black label? My last one is John Coltrane, Sunship, A-9211.

Funny that this thread should reappear right now, since I have a question to ask:

What's the story with the Capitol-versions of the orange/black-issues?

I've lately received two of these from eBay, both of the time thinking I was getting the read deal. The main difference in these is the ugly non-laminated sleeves, which rob a lot of the appeal of the original Impulse-sleeves. They still have the original labels, but with SMAS prefix, instead of AS, and with manufactured by Capitol Records text.

The two I've seen are Spellbinder by Gabor Szabo and Live at the Village Vanguard, Again! by John Coltrane.

Why were these issued?

Edited by Gutrotfrenzy