Miles Box

BFS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to jazzmatazz, the Cellar Door recordings will be released as three 2CD sets, and not as a complete box set with expensive packaging and a thick booklet. Just like the Black Hawk reissues.

So they could release them in between the real box sets.

Upping my question about the presence or absence of the Miles boxes on itunes.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I don't know for certain, but I doubt they'll put up the non-album tracks.

At the moment they have what appears to be the original songs to Miles Ahead. The song titles are all called "Miles Ahead" (with different times) from the album titled Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (Box Set.) I just own the reissue of Miles Ahead which added 4 bonus songs. These don't appear to be on iTunes. Nor are there any other cuts from the Miles & Gil box available. Most of the cuts are from compilations, although Cookin' is available (but not the other "in'" titles.)

I've heard that with some albums that sometimes 1 or 2 songs aren't available for downloading. I believe this is the case with The Who's Quadrophenia. While this practice probably varies by label, I would be surprised if Columbia would allow a rare "goody" to be available for 99 cents when they know that many fans will sell their old discs and buy the big pricey set just for a few new songs etc.

Well, I just made it through the new order of The Complete Concert on the box. My word, I never had a problem with the sound quality before, but this does sound better. And I handled the new ordering just fine! :)

I just thought of something.

Are these Miles boxes on itunes? This way, I could buy the individual CDs and just buy the extra tracks from itunes (for the 60s quintet box, for example).

Bertrand.

All of them are on itunes except the latest. they're all listed as "Partial Albums" and you can only download them by song.The 60's box has 24 tracks including many of the alternates. It costs 99cents per track whether it's a bit of studio chatter or a 12 minute complete track! I can check what's missing if you like.

Thanks! Eventually, I'm going to visit the site but I'm still just getting my feet wet ipod-wise.

The tunes I would buy (for $.99 each - bargain!) would be 'Fun', 'Water On The Pond', 'Teo's Bag' (alt.) and the unedited 'Circle In The Round', as well as 'Falling Water' from the Miles/Gil box.

Bertrand.

Fun, Water on the Pond and Circle in the Round (all 33 minutes of it are there for 99 cents each but not Teo's Bag. Nor is Falling Water. BTW after the boxes come out they usually reissue the original cds with added cuts from the box set. But I just checked and Teo's Bag and Falling Water seem to only be on the box sets.

Have they fixed the glue in the cardboard sleeves the discs are in? Disc 1 of my Bitches Brew set needed to be replaced because the glue got all over it, and last night my Miles/Coltrane box discs seemed to be a little sticky on the edges. :rmad:

Arghhh... I've just found that to be true of my disc 5. How/where did you get it replaced?