***Ahmad Jamal Corner***

Hardbopjazz

For me there is no Ahmad Jamal like the 50's trio with Israel Crosby and Vernell Fournier. I think I have everything they did as a trio. I only heard Jamal live once, probably in the late 70's here in Dayton, Ohio. While I enjoyed it, it was not the same as that incredible trio from the late 50's to early 60's.

Back then, it was not just Jamal's piano, but Crosby's beautiful bass playing. On their recording of Second Time Around, I just love to listen exclusively to Crosby.

Sometimes he was dismissed as a cocktail pianist, but the whole trio could really swing, like on The Party's Over from the album Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra.

They recorded Autumn Leaves at least twice. The one I like best is the long version on Portfolio of Ahmad Jamal recorded at the Spotlight in Washington, D.C.

I sold all of my Jamal vinyl to Dusty Groove last year.

My first exposure to Jamal was a trio here in Dayton in the very early 60's that had a pianist who copied his style and even looked like him. They played what they called Poincianna, Parts 1, 2, and 3 because of how long it was. The pianist, George McPherson, told me I could get it on a record by Ahmad Jamal. I kept saying, "By who?" I was a teenage kid then who knew nothing about jazz, let alone being able to understand a name as exotic as that. I finally had to get George to write it down for me. When I got Jamal at the Pershing, I played it over and over. I still do on CD.

Tom

Great story, Tom! (BTW, welcome to the board... :) )

Those early trio sides are great for sure. I really like "Ahmad's Blues" issued on Chess (cause I play chess! ;) ) No, because it's a great cd.

However, I think the three Essence cds in the 80s (90s?) are terrific as well. There's one tune on Essence 1 called "Catalina," I think.

It pretty much encapsulates the philosophy of my life in a single tune.

For me there is no Ahmad Jamal like the 50's trio with Israel Crosby and Vernell Fournier. I think I have everything they did as a trio. I only heard Jamal live once, probably in the late 70's here in Dayton, Ohio. While I enjoyed it, it was not the same as that incredible trio from the late 50's to early 60's.

Back then, it was not just Jamal's piano, but Crosby's beautiful bass playing. On their recording of Second Time Around, I just love to listen exclusively to Crosby.

Sometimes he was dismissed as a cocktail pianist, but the whole trio could really swing, like on The Party's Over from the album Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra.

They recorded Autumn Leaves at least twice. The one I like best is the long version on Portfolio of Ahmad Jamal recorded at the Spotlight in Washington, D.C.

My first exposure to Jamal was a trio here in Dayton in the very early 60's that had a pianist who copied his style and even looked like him. They played what they called Poincianna, Parts 1, 2, and 3 because of how long it was. The pianist, George McPherson, told me I could get it on a record by Ahmad Jamal. I kept saying, "By who?" I was a teenage kid then who knew nothing about jazz, let alone being able to understand a name as exotic as that. I finally had to get George to write it down for me. When I got Jamal at the Pershing, I played it over and over. I still do on CD.

Tom

You should take a fresh listen, as the group concept you describe is still present. When I saw him, he had the same kind of telepathic rapport with James Cammack on bass guitar (he's superb).

I was late to the Jamal party. Didn't get there until "Digital Works" and "Rossiter Road." But oh, how I love those records!

Here's one that few people seem to know about: Ahmad Jamal with the Assai Quartet, on the Roesch label, RR0042. The string-quartet arrangements work surprisingly well, and there's some revealing solo-piano material here too.

KH1958 is right: Jamal has a telepathic relationship with James Cammack.

last time I checked Vinyl Resting Place here in Portland still had a bunch of SEALED Cadet/Argo LPs by Ahmad Jamal, among others. Lots of the classic trio, but other stuffs as well, like one with a fiddle player and guitarist added. Don't forget, before the trio with Isreal and Vernal he had a Nat Cole-style trio with Barry Gailbraith & _____(?). equally good, but the reissue I heard on CD had mediocre sound...

BTW - I urge anybody who likes the trio with Crosby and Fournier to get a copy of the video Jazz from Studio 61 - where the trio's interaction can be watched closely; they alternate with an all-star band with Ben Webster, Buck Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Hank Jones, George Duvivier and Jo Jones - watch Jo Jones rise his eyebrows as he watches Founier's brush playing!

BTW - I urge anybody who likes the trio with Crosby and Fournier to get a copy of the video Jazz from Studio 61 - where the trio's interaction can be watched closely; they alternate with an all-star band with Ben Webster, Buck Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Hank Jones, George Duvivier and Jo Jones - watch Jo Jones rise his eyebrows as he watches Founier's brush playing!

You are right about that video. It is great. I was surprised at how short Israel Crosby appears to be, not that that matters.

Most of what is available on CD of the Jamal-Crosby-Fournier trio is in the form of compilations that often do not include all of the cuts from the LPs involved. I believe I have noticed some few comnplete records being produced as CDs in Japan. I picked up one cd call Ahmad Jamal at His Very Best that had all of Jamal at the Pershing (which is avialable otherwise) and all of Ahmad Jamal at the Black Hawk which I believe is the last record this trio made.

Tom

You are right about that video. It is great. I was surprised at how short Israel Crosby appears to be, not that that matters.

Most of what is available on CD of the Jamal-Crosby-Fournier trio is in the form of compilations that often do not include all of the cuts from the LPs involved. I believe I have noticed some few comnplete records being produced as CDs in Japan. I picked up one cd call Ahmad Jamal at His Very Best that had all of Jamal at the Pershing (which is avialable otherwise) and all of Ahmad Jamal at the Black Hawk which I believe is the last record this trio made.

Tom

You should watch his fingers - he had what German physicians call (literally translated) "drum-mallet fingers" - all fingertips look like they were caught in a press. I know someone who has this - looks strange, but is absolutely harmless. Not a disadvantage for a double bass player.

Crosby was one of the greatest - period. He belongs up there with Blanton and Pettiford, IMHO.

Mosaic would have done the Jamal trios long ago, but the recordings were tied up in "legal tangles", they answered my request some years ago. "Ahmad's Blues" and "Cross Country Tour" give much of the live stuff without doublings, at least.

"Chamber Music of the New Jazz" is announced for the Verve LPR series later this year - I hope they use the original Parrott master tape without the reverb added. Sounds much better than the Chess LP. If they were clever they would include the four sides issued on Parrott 78's, but ... :rolleyes:

I did not get to hear Jamal until quite recently. I think the 50s trio stuff with guitar (Columbia and Parrot/Argo) is superb. Very rich in content. It was a shock to hear how much of "Miles Ahead" (not to mention Miles' quintet stuff) had been directly lifted from Jamal's recordings. The recording quality on those records is as lousy as the music is good, sadly. With you, Mike, I hope that un-reverbed tapes still exist. (Even worse than reverb is reverb plus fake stereo, which I came up against in my first attempt to get the "Chamber Music" LP.)

The famous album with "Poinciana" also gets the Shrdlu seal of approval!

Caution: watch out for "sealed" Argo LPs. I got a "sealed" copy of "Chamber Music" and it was unplayable. It had a kind of film all over the grooves. I paid a lot for it, too! :angry: I don't think I will ever buy another sealed LP; I want it to be opened so that the seller can check the state of the vinyl before I buy.

Tom

First of all welcome to the board.

At the show I saw, the band just finished their set and were coming back out to play an encore, a man around Jamal's age was right up at the stage and started yelling at Jamal, "why don't you play like you use to in the 50s? Everyone was yelling site down. " Jamal replied, "I'm playing better today. You have to keep exploring"

• 14 years later...

I just got to say hello to Ahmad Jamal on the telephone!  (I was calling him to set up a recorded interview for a scholar friend.)  I told him how much I and many others appreciate his music... he sounded quite gracious and affable, and younger than 88.  Anyway, that's my jazz fanboy moment for the day.