Kenton Presents Set Going OOP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wesbed, it was not my intention to scare people off with the comment about Rossolinos quirky vocals, sorry if that is how the post read,Yes ,there are only 4 of  them, yes the set is exellent!

Oh, I didn't think 'you' were scaring anybody off. I was agreeing with your comment regarding Rosolino's quirky vocals. They are quirky but I do like them. I had my own thoughts, not because of what you wrote, that too much discussion (I've mentioned Rosolino's vocals in regard to the Kenton Presents set before) might cause somebody to believe the Kenton box contains lots of vocals. I remember another discussion where certain members of this board didn't like the Woody Herman Capitol box due to too many vocals.

Rosolino has his own vocal style. I don't know that I'd say that Rosolino is a 'good' jazz singer when compared to a 'good' jazz singer such as Ella Fitzgerald. However, Rosolino sounds like he's having such a damned good time when he's singing (and goofing around) that I enjoy hearing him. I've often thought jazz is an art form that's meant to be enjoyed and not fretted over so much (yes, I admit, I've done my fair share of fretting over the music ^_^). I enjoy Rosolino's approach to doing what feels is natural and what he enjoys. He makes it seem just fun as hell even if he's not the best jazz singer. Rosolino's singing gives me visions of some old-timey, west coast, carefree, driving along the coast, jazz dream.

Edited by wesbed

Can't wait to hear this set. I like all of the people on this set, especially Bill Holman (who is a real class act and a nice guy to boot). I went for the Teddy Wilson LP set also - I'd never forgive myself if I missed that one.

Those previously unissued Holman dates will be to your likings! What a great musician!

Can't wait to hear this set. I like all of the people on this set, especially Bill Holman (who is a real class act and a nice guy to boot). I went for the Teddy Wilson LP set also - I'd never forgive myself if I missed that one.

Those previously unissued Holman dates will be to your likings! What a great musician!

:tup:excited:

Just got my Kent Presents and J.J. sets. (Thought the J.J. set might soon go on the running low list as well). The Rosolino vocals are oddly affecting. They don't sound like things you should play in polite company though.

Edited by Bol

I've only listened to the first disc so far, but I'm ah...underwhelmed so far.  Naturally, I'm not going to make up my mind on just one listen to the first disc, but...

The set improves with the Holman and Rosolino material. I've grown to like the Holman/Rosolino tunes very much. I'd buy the set, again if necessary, to add the Holman/Rosolino sets to my jazz collection.

You're probably right. The last few tunes on the first disc were, I felt, the best on the disc. I see that that's where the Holman stuff started. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Cooper fan. The only thing I liked much on the Cooper stuff was the baritone work. Since I just checked and see this is Bud Shank, I'm not surprised!

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Cooper fan.  The only thing I liked much on the Cooper stuff was the baritone work.  Since I just checked and see this is Bud Shank, I'm not surprised!

I used to think I didn't like Bob Cooper. Then I caught myself listening, more and more, to the Shank/Cooper Mosaic Select. Cooper, to me, has a real easy-going and pleasant sound to his tenor. Cooper isn't full of lots of wild playing but he is full of lots of very nice playing, great tone, and smooth style.