Misplacing CDs

ejp626

I have a bad habit of shuttling music around from work and home -- not that this in itself is bad but I don't always end up with the case and the CD in the same location. Sometimes I have a clear case to bring it home in, but sometimes the CD is doubled up in a different CD case. Well, I have a pretty good memory, but if I don't get to this within the week, the other CD is hopelessly misplaced. I have about 3 right now I can't locate (ironically two are duplicates).

I just located the new Andrew Hill (Day the World Stood Still), which had gotten stuck in the Beastie Boys Sounds of Science. You know how it goes. I have probably 1000 Cds to listen to, but I really wanted to listen to the Hill again, since it is so complex. I was getting a little bit of a complex over it, and opened around 100 CD cases before tracking it down.

Anyway, just thought I would see if this is a frequent problem or if I am more disorganized than most.

Eric

Edited by ejp626

The only way to avoid it is to not put off putting in the right jewel case. What seems like a shortcut at the time turns into a major time consuming pain in the ass.

I have a related problem - I try to keep things in some kind of order, but I have run short of shelves and have been stacking cds on the floor and in shoeboxes. Sometimes I have a pretty hard time finding something I want.

I found two Braxton CDs (Willisau) under the passenger's seat in the car two years after I had taken them with me on a trip to Florida. Never knew they were missing. And they were covered in dried carpet shampoo from the time I'd had the car detailed the year before.

I lost Roy Harper's 'HQ' for a year. I was dying to play 'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease' but could I find it.

It should have been on the 'dodgy rock music' shelf. Eventually I found it on the shelf below in amongst Sibelius!!!

Roy Harper has now been upgraded to the 'marvellous rock music' shelf!

[i also do that trick in the car of coming to the end of a CD, opening another case, getting the next CD out, putting the played one back in the new one's case and then putting the new one back on top an hour later. This can leave things lost for a long time!]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Guilty as charged. I sold on ebay a duplicate copy of volume 1 of Elmo Hope's BN sessions and couldn't find it. Had to send him my own copy and then 3 weeks later I found it in a ledge in the garage where I sometimes put things when I take them out of the car. However, when it comes to Mosaic I am zealously careful.

Throw the book at me for this one. Lets see. I remember losing the case to the Verve Elite "Listen to Art Farmer and the Orchestra" (the cd was in a case logic holder) for about a year. It finally showed up again when I pulled a book out of a stack to be read, thus revealing the cd case. Also there have been many times when I haven't been able to find a disc for at least this long because I've doubled up in the car. This is always a good feeling, and I usually end up spinning the one that's been missing.

Since I'm *extremely* anal about the care of my discs, they always get back into their cases immediately upon coming out of the player.

What is making me goofy right now is that I seem to have misfiled or misplaced one of my John Stetch CD's, and it's not at a friend's house where I will occasionally bring my music. Guess I'll just have to stop websurfing and look through the "S" section of my collection.....................

I do have a lot of music cut to MP3 for the office (all my Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson and Greg Osby (ok maybe not quite in the same category)). But I don't have everything cut to MP3 yet (probably take me a year or so), and if I have just bought something, I really like to listen in the first day or two, which generally means it gets shuttled back and forth until I have the time to spin it. Generally, it hasn't been a fatal problem.

It used to be a problem.

No more, I very rarely take the original cd away from home.

My problem is loosing them at home. Monk Bluenote box disapeared for six months this year. :blink:

When you found it, was it surrounded by a bunch a stray socks? :P

No, it was in the bottom of a box of CDs that needed to be filled.

It now sits on a book shelf next to Beauty is a Rare Thing and Trillium R by Braxton (one I never made it all the way through).

I had this problem back when CDs first came out, but by the time I entered the jazz universe (back in issue #45 as we all know... :wacko: ), I'd learned my lesson. The worst thing I do now is have a stack of a day's worth of listening piled up (IN the jewel boxes, of course!) that need to be refiled in their proper place.

I never really misplace CDs, except for Moncur's "Some Other Stuff" (or what's it called again?) - I haven't found that in more than a year...

Things can get chaotic, but usually I know exactly where I have what discs. But they always got back into the jewel case right after listening.

ubu