hubbard-"blue spirits"

Guest donald petersen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Blue Note recording of his but even I have to admit it's an uneven date but the heights reached on this are unsurpassed (Outer Forces, Blue Spirits and Jodo), it's some of Hubbard's strongest playing. The bonus track of True Colors is also quite a curiousity.

I just got this one recently and have enjoyed it a lot--more than Hub-Tones or Hub Cap or even Open Sesame. My favorite stuff since the CTI dates Red Clay, Straight Life, and Sky Dive.

I plan on picking up Breaking Point and Ready For Freddie too.

I was initially lukewarm about this one. I already owned it and was determined NOT to buy the RVG. After reading comments here, though, I decided to pick up a copy and must say I was not disappointed. I like this session much more than the first time around. If you're a Freddie freak at all, you should get it! :tup

You guys are killin' me, by the way. B-)

Edited for spelling..........

Edited by Free For All

I was initially likewarm about this one. I already owned it and was determined NOT to buy the RVG. After reading comments here, though, I decided to pick up a copy and must say I was not disappointed. I like this session much more than the first time around.

FWIW, I have had the same experience with this disc. Still not so keen on the bonus tracks, but the material with Mobley especially is superb.

Edited by Joe

I was initially likewarm about this one. I already owned it and was determined NOT to buy the RVG. After reading comments here, though, I decided to pick up a copy and must say I was not disappointed. I like this session much more than the first time around. If you're a Freddie freak at all, you should get it! :tup

You guys are killin' me, by the way. B-)

This has been my feeling about Ready for Freddie. Have the Conn, but haven't upgraded just because I was never too impressed by this album.

Gonna get Blue Spirits ASAP, though!!!

Never warmed to Blue Spirits; I think I had it twice in the past, actually. I seem to remember a mix of edgier tunes with more standard hard bop (guess which I preferred).

Haven't missed it, and guess what? Neither a new RVG mastering nor the raves of this thread are giving me any urge to revisit it.

See? You can ignore the siren call of this board to spend, spend spend ...

:g

Of the Hubbard BN's I have on vinyl, this is how I rate them:

Open Sesame

Breaking Point

Blue Spirits

Ready for Freddie

Hub Tones

Hub Cap

Here to Stay

I like the first two all the way through. Starting with Blue Spirits, there are songs that do not get played. Most fall between outstanding and blah.

It's tough to say which of Hubbard's BN's is my favorite, but I've gotta throw a little love to Hub-Tones. James Spaulding really shines, and I love the tricky blues line of "For Spee's Sake". It's especially hip when Hubbard quotes it in his solo. And Herbie plays so purty on "You're My Everything"...

It's tough to say which of Hubbard's BN's is my favorite, but I've gotta throw a little love to Hub-Tones. James Spaulding really shines, and I love the tricky blues line of "For Spee's Sake". It's especially hip when Hubbard quotes it in his solo. And Herbie plays so purty on "You're My Everything"...

Yeah, especially that ending!!! :wub:

This is the first time I've had this cd and I think it's one of his better Blue Notes. I wasn't sure to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know about James Spaulding though. He sounds like what Bird would have sounded like if he had playing in the 60s. I don't think he's saying that much.

This is the first time I've had this cd and I think it's one of his better Blue Notes. I wasn't sure to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know about James Spaulding though. He sounds like what Bird would have sounded like if he had playing in the 60s. I don't think he's saying that much.

I too have never cared much for James Spaulding, but why put down Bird? Had Bird lived, he would have been only in his 40s during the 1960s and I'm sure he still would have sounded great.

Of the Hubbard BN's I have on vinyl, this is how I rate them:

Open Sesame

Breaking Point

Blue Spirits

Ready for Freddie

Hub Tones

Hub Cap

Here to Stay

I like the first two all the way through. Starting with Blue Spirits, there are songs that do not get played. Most fall between outstanding and blah.

That's interesting...."Here to Stay" is the one I typically reach for.....something about 'Nostrand & Fulton' & Walton's piano really hits the mark. That album and Morgan's 'Rajah' are floating around somewhere near the top of my RVG want list.

BLUE SPIRITS is far and away my least favorite Hubbard BN (favorite is by far and away READY FOR FREDDIE), but it's still a good record.

To me, it shakes out in retrospect as a transition towards the more arranged and "commercial" material on some of the forthcoming Atlantic sides.

But it's done better here, imo.

generally i have been sort of unimpressed with hubbard's blue notes.

In late '73 or early '74 Freddie was gigging at Paul's Mall in Boston. I was managing a chain of record stores in the Northeast. My office was in the back of a store on Washington St. I answered a knock on my door to find Freddie standing there. He said he wanted to thank me for stocking all of his BN lps. He said he knew it probably wasn't profitable, but the Blue Notes were the real shit.

On Washington Street? Combat Street area? On the left hand side of the street if you were headed in the direction of Govt. Center? Right off the street....not one of the shops with some big 'ol stairwell to hike up? If that's the place, I can remember this angry looking bull of a guy at the door who stepped right in to block my way in & said 'No Snows Allowed'. Pretty sure it was late '73...and I'm like 14....and didn't know what the hell he meant by that. I looked at him......he looked at me...I looked at him...he looked at me.....I figured it out in about 7 seconds. :lol: Never even got one foot in the place. Geez, least you coulda done was tell him to back off and have me come on in for a Pepsi. :g Must have been a different shop.

Guest akanalog

sounds like a pass to me. thanks for all the input.

90% of hubbard's output as a leader does nothing for me so unless it is something truly outstanding i think i can do without it. i don't know why i never warmed to him.

i don't like any of his CTI dates, i dislike "hub-tones" and i found "ready for freddie" to be disappointing. "open seasame" and "breaking point" were sort of blah.

i think i liked "here to stay" when i heard it years ago, but it is long gone. maybe it will be reissued soon.

"goin' up" seems like a nice date but i am sort of burnt on that style of music for the forseeable future.

sounds like a pass to me.  thanks for all the input.

90% of hubbard's output as a leader does nothing for me so unless it is something truly outstanding i think i can do without it.  i don't know why i never warmed to him.

i don't like any of his CTI dates, i dislike "hub-tones" and i found "ready for freddie" to be disappointing.  "open seasame" and "breaking point" were sort of blah.

i think i liked "here to stay" when i heard it years ago, but it is long gone.  maybe it will be reissued soon.

"goin' up" seems like a nice date but i am sort of burnt on that style of  music for the forseeable future.

I'm dumbfounded by the remarks but then again 'different strokes' as they say...

On his BN's Freddie is a very advanced technician on the trumpet. To many it may sound very mechanical but when I listen I can pick through the technical aspects and come to appreciate his tone, sense of melody, harmony and groove. There's no better example of this in my opinion than 'Ready for Freddie'. On early albums like 'Open Sesame' and sideman appearance on Kenny Drew's 'Undercurrent' he is a bit rough around the edges tone and idea wise but still very satisfying and powerful playing.

Incidentally I'm ecstatic over 'Blue Spirits'

'Goin' Up' doesn't strike the sweet spot but I haven't pulled it out in a while...*mental note*

Peace!!

Bill :blink::excited:

By the way I love his solo on 'Tomorrow's Destiny' w/ Woody Shaw. Check it out!

Edited by Templejazz

On Washington Street? Combat Street area? On the left hand side of the street if you were headed in the direction of Govt. Center? Right off the street....not one of the shops with some big 'ol stairwell to hike up

My office was further north - across from Jordan Marsh.

Looks like we traveled with different crowds. :)