Could this be the fate of the new BNBB?

Ed S

I don't know. I posted early in the thread, missed about 20 pages, then read through the mess. I was hoping Music Boy would ban me from the music business. Then I could have a normal life, and afford the new roof my house needs. But then, I'm a "vague" Christian and am getting what I deserve.

It is a little late, but I want to say Dan/MusicGoy:-) is an ASSHOLE!

Talk about selective censorship. Any post that suggests the opinion Michelle deserved the award, even in a polite fashion is quickly deleted.

To the best of my knowledge: not true. We have some posts along the lines of "tHaT fUcKiN SkRiEkIn BiTcH StOlE A***ls GrAmMy". We have deleted posts like that. I cannot recall a single post saying Michelle Branch should have won - whether polite or not.

Edited by Neon

Well, it's just like me to come along after the horses left the barn but since the early postings I hadn't bothered to look at this tread until Tod alerted it to me yesterday. What an incredible bunch of postings. Hats off to B-3er and Use3d and their father and to all those who stood up. While reading the whole thread, I was actually getting a little nervous about this site being affected. Great responses by Neon.

And thank god for this site. Someone at some point wondered if Musicidiot was Tom. That thought passed through my mind also, albeit quickly.

Musicboy made Berigan look positively saintly.

Brad

Oh, and I wasn't going to say anything about the fundamentalist Christianity and prowar crapola (the old canard that Saddam was behind 9/11) all over that site until I saw the links to Bob Jones University on it. Does Norah Jones really want these schmucks supporting her? This guy upholds the integrity of an institution that would prefer a situation by which Norah Jones wouldn't even exist--that is, it frowns on the interracial relationship between Shankar and Norah's mother (never mind the fact that she was born out of wedlock).

You all are not gonna believe this, but as you know - I started a duplicate version of my "Race" thread over on the Norah board. There's been a few replies, and the discussion is going reasonably well.

Well, one of the replies I just got is from the same moderator who has the Bob Jones link on his own personal web-site. Well, here was his reply to my thread...

Rooster Ties

I find it's still more of an obstacle in the south, USA.  I have learned to deal quite a bit with various ethnic groups, and I'm almost 42, and white, so I remember when the lines were drawn very hard and fast on both sides.

Visiting foreign countries, attending the small Bible College in VA, where I received my degree in ministry and made friends with interracially married couples, along with my involvement on the internet has exposed me to international, interracial personalities in a way I would never have seen had I remained in my small NC hometown.

I have friends and family that still can't get past the barriers because they have known nothing else.  I have cousins from up North who married and had children interracially and I love them very dearly and would not wish to see them hurt because of unkind, biggoted words. :)

Also, he and I have traded a couple PM's, and he seems like an OK guy. Sure, I'm positve he and I don't see eye to eye on religious matters (and that's maybe putting it very mildly, to be sure) -- but just because he has a Bob Jones link on his web-page, doesn't appear to automatically mean that he personally believes in everything that they stand for (or at least stood for).

As Spock on Star Trek would say, "Interesting..." :blink:

Here's a link to the entire "Race" thread, over there: Racial Interaction, How to foster more/better communication? - and clearly you might want to take Musicboy's posts in the thread with a big ol' grain of salt. After all, he and I were both pretending that none of the shit he stirred up here had ever happened.

PS: I also gave him ("CT") a link to the "Race" thread on our site, and invited him to join in our discussion. No idea what might come of it, but he seems like a relatively reasonable sort of guy - at least for someone who believes "The Bible is God's Absolute Truth!", per his signature on the Norah Jones board. (That's not a 'dig', just an observation.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest Mnytime

Of course, your postings over here are consistently excellent and well appreciated.

Hey now, feeling left out. ;)

Rooster

Maybe it's because I am as minority as you can get in this country as I read his post it comes off as more of "He has learned to put up with minorites but necessarily liking them."

His saying he has learned to "deal" with others of different races, cultures and or religions does exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy towards him or someone I would turn my back on. ;)

Mnytime,

There's a big difference between being tolerant and being pluralistic.

Being tolerant means that you are willing to accept the other (culture, belief etc) because you value him as a fellow human being. And that's why you are willing to tolerate his unacceptable and totally wrong beliefs (in your view).

Being pluralistic means that you know that the other's beliefs and culture is as good as yours.

I know it's being a little simplistic but, hey it's only 8:05 AM ;)

I live here a few months now and there's no doubt in my mind that this country is anything but pluralistic. Being a minority in this country must be extremely hard. Even being a level-headed person here is becoming extremelt hard...

If this dude is being "just" Tolerant, and not pluralistic - that's much more than most of the people here are. No warn and fuzzy feeling, but that's a start. :)

Coming from a person whose president was able to say without even winking the racist phrase "They hate us for what we are" (post 911) - I'd say - he's definitely ought to be considered one of the good guys here.

It is unacceptable to me that my site (which incidentally is not some corporate institution, but a fan site set up by me) be associated with anyone who uses any means to threaten anyone. No matter how the words are phrased.

I read his posts here as threatening. If this was my board I'd be madder than you are. On the other hand, it takes a lot to make me mad. This did it, though.

You have raised a number of valid points which require answering - at least to my satisfaction.

However, as of now, musicboy is not officially associated with norahjones.info, except in the status of an ordinary member, nor has he ever represented the views or ethos of the site on the organissimo message boards.

I do not regard this outcome as a victory for anyone. It is a sad reflection on society and the way we perceive other human beings, whose views and opinions may not agree with our own.

For what it may be worth at this stage, I think you're a cool bunch of guys - and the band sounds great!

Rob

Bla bla bla :wacko:

For no good reason, I went over to the NJ board today to see if anyone had posted to my favorite color thread. I know it's water under the bridge and all that, but guess who's now a board administrator over there? :wacko::wacko:

So much for principals and backbone and doing what's right. :rolleyes:

Guest Mnytime

That's fine. Now it gives us a company to sue if he comes back here with his threats. Actually come to think of it since that is supposed to be the Official Norah Jones site she would be liable as well and maybe even Blue Note and EMI. :D :D

Hell sue them all and let the lawyers figure it out. ;)

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Ed

Did you ever bring up over there the absurdity of a Norah Jones site having any link to Bob Jones considering her heritage and Bob Jones views on such?

Hrumph.... I see that Musicboy is back to being a board mod over there.

We'll, Neon's credibility (with me) just dropped a couple notches. He still gets a couple points for changing their rules and regs over there, but I'm pretty shocked he let Musicboy back in as a Mod.

Maybe Musicboy threatened to ruin Neon's name in "the industry" :lol:

<_<<_<<_<

I'm sorry you all do not trust me. I have already said that we handled things badly on these boards. For that I truly apologise and my past statements in that respect hold. However, I have discussed this with Dan and the other admins and mods and we have set ground rules in place so that this situation won't arise again.

I believe we've learned a lot about each other over the past few days. I believe that the discussions on these (your) boards are for the most part adult and responsible. I understand that as with all message boards, people are just that - people. They sometimes make mistakes.

You have a thread on these boards discussing how to achieve racial equality. I would suggest that this is but one part of a larger issue to do with better understanding and acceptance of a multitude of things which together make up human beings. This is a statement I've asked "the team" on norahjones.info to sign up to in the wake of events here:

I have very strong beliefs in equality and freedom, regardless of race, gender, creed, colour, sexual orientation, disability, language, nationality, musical interest or whatever. I believe society needs rules and guidelines to ensure that vulnerable groups are protected. I do not believe in exploiting people or groups for any reason. I do not condone radical, reactionary, racist, "right wing" groups.

I expect admins and moderators of these boards to work within these "limits". Please respond to indicate your acceptance or refusal of these conditions as appropriate.

No-one has yet refused to accept these conditions. As I have said, people sometimes make mistakes. Should we punish them indefinitely, or learn lessons, forgive and move on?

Guest Mnytime

I'm sorry you all do not trust me. I have already said that we handled things badly on these boards. For that I truly apologise and my past statements in that respect hold. However, I have discussed this with Dan and the other admins and mods and we have set ground rules in place so that this situation won't arise again.

I believe we've learned a lot about each other over the past few days. I believe that the discussions on these (your) boards are for the most part adult and responsible. I understand that as with all message boards, people are just that - people. They sometimes make mistakes.

You have a thread on these boards discussing how to achieve racial equality. I would suggest that this is but one part of a larger issue to do with better understanding and acceptance of a multitude of things which together make up human beings. This is a statement I've asked "the team" on norahjones.info to sign up to in the wake of events here:

I have very strong beliefs in equality and freedom, regardless of race, gender, creed, colour, sexual orientation, disability, language, nationality, musical interest or whatever. I believe society needs rules and guidelines to ensure that vulnerable groups are protected. I do not believe in exploiting people or groups for any reason. I do not condone radical, reactionary, racist, "right wing" groups.

I expect admins and moderators of these boards to work within these "limits". Please respond to indicate your acceptance or refusal of these conditions as appropriate.

No-one has yet refused to accept these conditions. As I have said, people sometimes make mistakes. Should we punish them indefinitely, or learn lessons, forgive and move on?

So let me get this straight. Someone that works for and represents your site comes to this board and makes threats towards several board members including the owners of this board. He threatens their lively hood by telling them he will have them banned in the Music Industry. For this and other comments he was rightfully removed from being moderator.

Now after less than a week he is reinstated. I find that insulting to my friends that where cowardly threatened by MusicBoy. You did not even take the time to inform those here that MusicBoy threatened of your decision to reinstate him. It was done in a clandestine manner. It was only because Ed happened to go back that anyone discovered MusicBoy's reinstatement. All I can say myself is your extremely fortunate that I do not own this site or was one of those threatened.

Now to this "statement" you have had “your team” agree to. All I want to know is there still a link to Bob Jones University on one of your moderator’s site? As long as that link is on your Moderators site this "statement" is nothing more than lip service. IMHO Though even if removed it is nothing more than lip service that is only meant as a way in hopes of covering you legally. Just because they "agree" to the statement doesn't mean they really believe or accept what the statement represents.

Honestly I find it amazing that you would allow such a racist organization be associated to Norah Jones in any way or manner. Their feelings to someone of Jones heritage are very much well known. I am sure you have many minors who are of different races and possibly of mixed races as well. I wonder how they would feel if they knew that one of your Moderators is a supporter of a racist institution that would have nothing to do with them or the person your site is set up for in the first place? I really wonder if Norah Jones herself knows the type of people that have been chosen to represent her to her fans? Someone that has threatened others and and at least one more that supports a racist institution.

Another thing. Is there any way that you can prove 100% that MusicBoy has not already attempted to carry through on his threats towards those he threatened?

Edited by Mnytime

To be honest, and considering the degree of closed-minded bile the dude sprayed, I wonder if musicboy has the emotional stability and basic people skills to moderate effectively –but it’s Neon’s site and it’s Neon’s call. Besides, perhaps musicboy will behave if he thinks doing otherwise will jeopardize his reinstatement.

Hmm...I noticed that musikboy became an admistrator (not a moderator) over the weekend, but didn't bother to make the effort to post the news here. As soon as someone did post about it, BOOM - here's Neon to explain it. It's almost like he did it to see our reaction.

Interesting...write letters to NJ's management.

Edited by 7/4

As soon as someone did post about it, BOOM - here's Neon to explain it. It's almost like he did it to see our reaction.

I very much doubt that Rob/Neon did any such thing. Late last night, after I read here that Musicboy was back to being a board-mod, I sent Neon a PM via his board, politely (and sincerely) asking about Musicboy's reinstatement. I haven't gotten a PM back from him, but I presume that my message to him prompted his reply in the last few hours, on our board (via this thread).

I'm still scratching my head ( :wacko: ) about why anyone would reinstate Musicboy after what he did here, but it's Rob's board, so he can do whatever he likes. Still, Rob, you'll never really know the extent to which Musicboy edits or possibly censors other people's posts on your board (depending on the extent to which your board's software tracks that sort of thing, of course). And, you never know when he'll go off the deep end again, like he did here. If you're willing to take those risks, we'll - they're your risks to take.

If it were my board, I'd probably nuke Musicboy for good, meaning remove even his basic user status from the board. But it's not my board, and in the end, it probably doesn't matter to me what happens.

Good luck Rob.

As soon as someone did post about it, BOOM - here's Neon to explain it. It's almost like he did it to see our reaction.

I very much doubt that Rob/Neon did any such thing. Late last night, after I read here that Musicboy was back to being a board-mod, I sent Neon a PM via his board, politely (and sincerely) asking about Musicboy's reinstatement. I haven't gotten a PM back from him, but I presume that my message to him prompted his reply in the last few hours, on our board (via this thread).

I didn't think of that.