Could this be the fate of the new BNBB?

Ed S

I always wondered if it was foolish of me to post under my real name on these boards. For the first time, I actually feel uncomfortable as some wacko :wacko::wacko: knows my name and he seems a little unstable.

I don't think that Mrs. Hadi should be taken so literally.

If I could take a stab at it, I read it not as either you're Christian or not but rather - within the context of Christianity, or Judaism or Islam or whatever, your response to a situation that has made you angry should be a reflection of the faith that you profess to follow. We are human. We experience anger. How we respond and react to that emotion should be consistent with and be reflective our respective belief system.

This dude music boy walked in here, acknowledged his Christianity and proceeded to do some of the most un-Christianlike acts I've seen. Then he had the nerve to hide behind his Christianity and cry persecution. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents based on my affiliation with....... well let's just say I'm a free agent. Does Dexter Gordon have a church? ;)

I wondered about that also Mny.

Just accepting Mrs. Hadi's statement in its most literal sense, it seems as if she's saying that Christians are the only persons able to behave well when challenged by malicious / "Unchristian" behavior.

It's us -- it's them.

I certainly don't believe that Mrs. Hadi meant it in as black and white a fashion but I can certainly see why this might lead to a misunderstanding.

Not wanting to put words into your mouth... Mother.

:)

I am very sorry; I didn’t mean it to sound as if Christians are the only people that are able to behave well when challenged. They are not by a long shot. Most people I know Christian and Non-Christian alike behave in what might be considered a “Christian” manner. In my mind it has never been “us or them”. In fact a lot of Christians I know seem to be very hypocritical. As a Christian, I feel I am bound by my beliefs to be an example of those beliefs. If I don’t follow the dictates of my religion than I have no right to cast the first stone. Actually, I don’t feel I should cast any stones. This doesn’t mean that I can’t or won’t disagree with what someone may say or do. It doesn’t mean that I don’t fly off the handle some time and go to far. I even use foul language from time to time. When I do fly off the handle it is then my responsibility to apologize for that behavior. Most people no matter what their beliefs would do the same thing.

My beliefs are very deep and usually very private and sometimes I have a difficult time articulating how I feel. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have to stop here and get ready for work.

I’ll be back :g

Back to the original topic, here's some "NEWS" from the Blue Note site

A NOTE FROM NORAH

Check out a posting direct from Norah Jones in the Forums Section of the fan site Unofficially Norah Jones. This fan site provides news, updates, lots of fun stuff and Norah checks in often.

Don't miss Norah Jones ON TOUR this Summer.

Links are provided.

So this is news on the Blue Note site. Yikes. :wacko:

They were right about one thing - the site providing "lots of fun stuff"

The stuff I miss while at work!!

Although basically an atheist, I am not fully satisfied with this definition of my "faith." I have a very personal form of religion. I respect and admire many Christians, especially the type of Christians that people like AfricaBrass represent.

I don't know what Musicboy is, but he is definitely an insecure and immature individual.

All he's doing is making us STRONGER!

Musicboy: I accuse you of seeking to take away some of our cherished freedoms, like freedom of speech. You act in a most Unchristian manner towards your fellow man. You cannot hurt all of us, so you endeavor to hurt the more vulnerable parties within our group: those who play and record music. This is repulsive, and cowardly. Your actions are those of a bully and fascist.

Ok,

Well since there ia at least one anti-Christian over here. I'd like to address him first & simply. (7/4) Yes, there are in fact a few Christian on the Mod team, I'm one of them. & yes we do see things different than many people, because we don't believe in supporting anarchist attitudes. The reason bulletin boards get shut down, is real simple. Nobody wants to deal with inconsiderate trouble makers, who set them up for liabilty on their message boards. Suggestion: Internet Child Protection act.. Go look that up. It's amazing how fast one's view on free speech/freedom gets twisted when it comes to letting Christians excersize their beliefs. That's cool though man. If you want to be that way, you'll eventually pay the price for being a biggot.

As for the rest of you. I'm not going to worry about it, because what comes around goes around eventually. If you choose to keep dishing it, you will eventually get your due. I work in the music business, & also in IT, so I take names down all the time. Someone made a statement that a user complained to Norah's management about us. That may or may not be true, but if it is, we've heard nothing of it from them, except for praise. I talk to them almost weekly. I don't admin on NJ.info for my own benefit, nor am I elitist enough to think that there won't be any young & immature posts on our message board. It confuses me that any adult would expect to go to a message board & not find any thoughtless banter. That's what young fans do.

Ed Swinnich, I wasn't implying that you were some kind of threat to children, just because you were in the same letter. I just think you have been acting like an ignorant trouble maker. Maybe at some point you can change my view. For now, I took great pleasure in banning all of you who came to cause trouble. If you would like to talk face to face about that at some point, that's cool. I'm not one to hide behind a computer, unlike others I've observed. I'm thinking that on one of the many music related web sites I'm involved in, I may even do a nice article on the front page, about how organissimo.org is a Haven for anti-Christian biggots, & adults who have no regard for internet edict.

Let me tell you all a little story. Once upon a time there was an artist who won 8 Grammy's, which is an industry award (for those who "may" not have done their homework). See, that means that the INDUSTRY likes Norah. So, for those of you who are aspiring to be in the industry, you wouldn't want me pasting all over the internet that you are not only condescending towards Norah & others, but you are viscious about it. See, I have free speech too. I also have access to a whole lot of hits on the internet (over 5,000,000 per year in fact.) I've already started taking quotes down from each of you. My stories will contain nothing but the facts. You wanna make enemies in the music business? That's your call.. All I can tell you is that the choice is in your hands. You are at the proverbial crossroad. I'm a forgiving guy, but not a doormat..

If you'd like to put this behind both sites, come over & show common respect to people. It's not that we don't want you there, it's that you are a guest, & when you go into someone elses site, you follow their rules. If not, then I guess we can't be friends. ~Dan

Ok, this is like a lot of things. It starts out nice and "Christian" and then ends in threats and vague idealogy thrown like reeses candy into icecream. Alright, pal, you messed with my brother and my brother's friends and now Im going to exercise some of that Christian free speech you talked about.

First of all, you've started this addressing "one anti-christian" and ended it saying that this site is a "haven for anti-christian bigots..". You do realize that if you tell this to someone, and yet you profess not to believe it, then you're lying. And you do realize that telling a falsehood about someone else is a big Christian no-no, right?

Second, lets assume you're right. Lets say that this board is full of "anarchist attitudes". You're protecting your children? Let me show you something about what a liar you are.

What is represented by music, in all of music history, is a blatant disregard for censorship of any kind, and a burning passion to scream out what life is with every fiber of your being. Music is about pain, heartache, saying fuck you, and still being able to look at your audience and feel like you've become a testament for what life really is. Without lies to protect the world and without threats that make you fear what you dont agree with or cant understand.

You think you know music, but if you really did you would be out there fucking making it, not blathering about the poor children and the evil they'll see if they actually LISTEN to the records you promote.

You are a big fish in a little pond, and you know your life is a labyrinth of hypocrisy and the vague imprinted idealogy of the majority, which you think gives you the right to judge how a new mind, a child, deserves to be raised and talked to.

"What goes around comes around"? Yeah, I read that too. You know what else I read in that little book you subscribe to so blindly? Before prying at the splinter in your brother's eye, take the plank out of your own.

You think you can tell us how to talk, how to act, how to think? You think you really know whats right and whats wrong for every man woman and child on this planet? YOU?

Who ARE you except a mealy-mouthed stone-throwing narrowminded lying hypocrite?

Go wash your faith in dirty water, and see how clean you really are, before coming back here with your righteous bullshit.

Jessie.

Guest Mnytime

Don't let this clown scare you guys, he can't do shit to us. Dan Gould, you rock! Bring hellfire down baby!!!

Does this guy actually scare anyone? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Guest Mnytime

Another thing. This whole the Industry likes Norah so if you saying anything but positive remarks toward her you will get anyone banned is crap. The industry could care less about Norah personally or anyone for that matter. As long as she or anyone else is selling records they are "loved". The second anyone stops selling that love flies out the window quicker than you can say "Bye". The music industry is filled with one hit wonders that where "loved" by the industry and forgotten really quickly the second they stopped selling. It's the same with big name acts that have had several major hits, which Norah is not as of yet. Anyone that doesn’t know this about the Music or Film Industry doesn’t know anything about these industries. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

If anything the Music industry loves having a War of Words between muscians or bands. Leads to more attention (free publicity) and possibly more sales.

One more thing just because someone sells records does not mean they have any talent. I give you Britney Spears, Madonna, and 99% of what is selling these days. :rolleyes:

And all I have to say about the Grammy's is Milli Vanilli. ;)

Another thing, that Milli Vanilla and for that matter Norah Jones have more Grammy’s than Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, and Led Zeppelin all have combined is all that needs to be said about the Grammy’s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That’s if you can even get by my first comment on the Grammy’s, Milli Vanilli. :D :D :D

Finally, that Norah needs this guy to threaten other musicians who may say negative comments shows that those behind her don't have confidence enough in her talents. Though I am pretty sure if someone where to show her this person's threats and posts she might be more upset with him than anyone that posted anything negative about her.

In fact, since he does work for Norah and or Blue Note, he makes both libel for potential Lawsuits because of his threats while working for them and in their name!!!!

Edited by Mnytime

I'm quite grateful for Norah, actually, always felt her success makes it easier for me to get the BN reissues I want... and perhaps she sometimes serves as a gateway to more jazz... more power to ya, Norah, and I plan on buying Come Away with Me on SACD!

As for musicboy, I haven't seen or heard that much sanctimony all year! DOJ? This is the best-mannered of the jazz sites on the web! Ha! :party:

Peace, joy, and love to ye of all faiths...

You wanna talk about being subversive...

http://www.norahjones.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1141

heh, heh, heh, heh, heh..... 

Hey Rooster cut and paste, I'm banned.

Well, I'm not banned yet... I got my sig chopped off, cuz it had a link to our board, and I got a link to our original "Race" thread nuked. But I'm still there, and still posting. Do a search for posts by "Rooster_Ties" (don't forget the "_" character). I'm up to about 10 posts.

And check the "Race" thread I started there again. Talk about surreal!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

And so then, if I'm understanding this right?? - if you're 'banned' from the Norah board, then you can't even LOOK at their board???? :wacko::wacko::wacko: (Remember when Jim got accidently banned from the BNBB?? He could still read everything on the BNBB, he just couldn't post.)

Anyway, for those of you who are "banned", here's the state of the thread, as of now. So far it's just me and Musicboy, each pretending that nothing has ever happened over here on our board. :wacko::wacko::wacko: (You know, for the sake of the children... :rolleyes: )

Racial Interaction, How to foster more/better communication?

Unofficially Norah Jones Forum Index -> Not Necessarily Norah

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rooster_Ties

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Racial Interaction, How to foster more/better communication?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!! I know I'm new around here, but I hope you don't mind me starting a thread about a topic that can be kinda difficult to talk about.

This is a topic I also recently started on the Organissimo board, and I thought it might be interesting to start the same topic here too. Also, let me say right up front, you don't have to have all the answers, or even any of answers -- to what I know is maybe an uncomfortable topic. But I do sincerely want your feedback on the subject. Here is the text of first post of the topic I started over there, to kick things off...

By the way, the full title of the thread (over on the other board, in the "Politics" forum) is...

=====================================================================

Race and Racial Interaction, in America and beyond, How to foster more/better communication?

=====================================================================

I've wanted to bring up this topic for a long time, both here and even back on the BNBB [the "Blue Note Bulletin Board", before it closed], so here goes...

Maybe I should also mention, right up front, that I'm a white male, married, age 34, with no kids, who lives 'in the city' in a mostly all-white neighborhood, although about 15% of our immediate neighbors (within 1 or 2 miles) are Hispanic. But, if you go just 2 or 3 miles due east of where I live, you start to get into the mostly all-Black neighborhood. (Kansas City, like I suspect most (but maybe not all?) bigger cities in America, borders on being 'hyper-segregated' in our living/neighborhood patterns.) I'm currently unemployed (since January), but my last work environment ('white collar', in Information Systems at the corporate headquarters of a Fortune 1000 company) was probably 90% White, with the remaining 10% mostly being made of up of various Asian, Indian, and Middle-Eastern minorities, with few Blacks.

Anyway, last Saturday I went to an interesting forum/round-table discussion, about the state of "Race Relations" in Kansas City and in the greater K.C. metropolitan area. At this forum, there was a period of Q&A with the panel - and one of my questions was selected and discussed by the whole group. My question was this:

"Kansas City is not very integrated, especially in our neighborhoods, our churches, and (although maybe to a lesser degree) in many of our work environments. What can White people do to get involved in improving race relations?? And, perhaps even more importantly, what can White people do to find ways to interact and socialize in more racially integrated circles??"

Various members of the panel had a few good suggestions, but the overall response (and struggle to respond) left me thinking that this really is a difficult question to answer, or at least here (in Kansas City), and it probably is also in many communities. So, then, I pose the same question here...

For those interested, what can we all do (Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, etc...) to have more face-to-face interaction, in a positive and comfortable/casual setting, on a periodic regular basis, with people of different racial backgrounds??

For instance, my wife and I belong to a very dogmatically-liberal Unitarian Church in midtown Kansas City - where the social-circle I/we run in there (made up of mostly "30-somethings") has every kind of diversity you can think of, except racial diversity. And by other kinds of diversity, I mean things like gender, class (or at least income-level), gender-preference, single/married, kids/no-kids, city-dwellers/suburbanites, professionals, artists, students, you-name-it, and so on.... But as much as I like all that, I would love to find some regular social outlets that were more racially mixed.

A while back I played in a pool-league for a couple years, and our 'all-White' team sometimes played 'all-Black' teams - sometimes at our bar, sometimes at theirs, and I really enjoyed that. And I had some cool conversations once with a couple slightly-younger-than-me Black guys when we were all in a jury pool together all day long, a few years ago. And one or two of the jazz clubs in Kansas City draw a mixed crowd, somewhat. But you see my point - (at least in this town) one has to really look for opportunities to mix with others who are different. And even then, there often isn’t that much interaction.

Any thoughts on my questions above, or about this topic in general???

Thanks!! -- Rooster Ties. 

PS: Yes, I'll admit it, based on my personal interests in Jazz, (perhaps obviously) I'm looking for more opportunities for Black/White interaction (in particular). But, that doesn't mean I'm any less open to other more diverse social-circles as well.

Last edited by Rooster_Ties on Mon May 19, 2003 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Musicboy

Administrator

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RT,

I think it's simple. Choose to Love people, & interact with them based on nothing other than personal merit, & the way they treat you & others. Race only becomes an issue when the bad choice is made to make it an issue. I don't consider it. People are people, no matter where they come from, or what they look like. You might now ask: " If it's so simple, why don't some people do it?"

The short answer is: "ignorance of the truth." That is that we all start in the womb, & end in the grave. Proof enough for me that all mankind is created equal.

Jascha Heifetz, a great concert Violinist, was once approached by an adoring fan who said: "You were excellent! I would give a third of my lifetime away if I could learn to play like that." Jascha Heifetz responded: "Maam, I have."

Rooster_Ties

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject:    

While I don't exactly disagree with anything you've said in this thread (your post right above this), I am wondering what you and other people experience in your normal day-to-day interactions with other people, of different ethnic backgrounds.

While I'm not specifically trying to make Race "an issue" (as you say), I am aware of the simple fact that as a society, we often tend to interact more with people of our own ethnic backgrounds. This is very often the case in school lunchrooms, on up to in the living patterns (meaning neighborhood boundries) we live in.

I guess what I'm asking is for other people's observations (yours included) of what kinds of social settings people find more frequent constructive racial interaction. Not neccesarily conversation about Race, per se, but opportunities for people to find some common interests, and perhaps learn something beyond what they're own background has taught them.

Food for thought, hopefully. Peace...

Musicboy

Administrator

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject:   

Well, I'd have to say as a musician I've experienced the most intimate & diverse racial or multi-ethnic interaction. The inner city neigborhood I grew up in would come in second, then Sports would come in third in my life anyhow. In all situations listed above, I found that people can work together very effectively if they choose to, regardless of where they come from, or what their nationality is.

Jascha Heifetz, a great concert Violinist, was once approached by an adoring fan who said: "You were excellent! I would give a third of my lifetime away if I could learn to play like that." Jascha Heifetz responded: "Maam, I have."

Rooster_Ties

Posted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject:     

I agree that sports can certainly a great place to interact with people from all kinds of different backgrounds. When I look at most college sports teams (my wife is a big K.U. basketball fan, though I'm not much of a sports fan myself), I do see a much higher degree of cooperative racial interaction there (and in other teams) than I've ever had the fortune of experiencing, personally.

I grew up in the 'suburbs', mostly white - in one of the most racially segregated counties in the whole country (near St. Louis). (The county is racially segregated by living paterns, and not from any sort of law or mandate.) I never played sports in high-school or college, so I didn't get my chance there. And my musical background is in 'classical' music (choral singing), which tends to be mostly lilly-white as well - or at least it was in both my high-school and college experiences.

I would imaging that growing up in a racially mixed neighborhood could contribute strongly to some unique perspectives on race. But I wonder, Musicboy, if you might have seen some of what I'm talking about, in your own childhood?? (In terms of racial grouping, even in mixed race settings.)

What I'm getting at in this thread (and the thread I started on the other board), is how to find ways to begin to overcome these natural tendencies that have been proven through various studies, where people tend to gather in social settings in groups that are racially 'monochromatic', for lack of a better word.

I mean, it's not for lack of trying on my part. I sang in our church choir yesterday (a big long choral work, with a tiny 'orchestra', made up of half a dozen string players from the local music conservatory), and during the hour-long break between the two church services, I made a point to have breakfast with the one string player who was African American. We found we had plenty in common, in our jazz interests (he was an upright string bass player), and I suspect we'll try to hookup again sometime, to listen to some tunes and such.

Still, and here's my main point (see my first post up above), the opportunities for casual social interaction in mixed-race situations are pretty few and far between, at least in my town. And I was wondering if anyone else experiences this too, and what places (if any) they find that there are more chances for this kind of casual "exchange of ideas", between blacks, whites, hispanics, etc...

I know it's getting late as I'm typing this, but when others presumably see this thread in the coming days, please chime in with your observations, from your own life and environment. Thanks!! 

And it's just not the same without Musicboy's avatar.... mbpic.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I also posted this in a thread called "How did you discover Norah jones?"

Rooster_Ties

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Thoughts from a big fan of Blue Note jazz...   

I can't say specifically when I first heard of Norah Jones, as I had seen her name in print for many, many months before I actually heard any of her songs. I used to be a long-time member of the bulletin board at the Blue Note web-site, often called the 'BNBB' for short (which unfortunately closed (maybe temporarily?) - but that's a whole 'nother story that I won't go into here), and there was lots of discussion there about Norah, both pro and con (like whether she was really a jazz musician or not).

But I do remember the first time I actually heard Norah, and that was when she was on Saturday Night Live. I figured that since she was generating all that on-line discussion, that I'd better find out for myself what she was all about.

I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard, actually. I'm not really much of a fan of vocal jazz - although I do really love instrumental jazz, especially by Blue Note jazz musicians from the 60's, like Herbie Hancock, Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, and plenty of other jazz musicians like Miles Davis and Duke Ellington. BUT, I did like Norah's SNL appearance, perhaps because it wasn't anything like the vocal jazz styles that I'm not all that interested in. (I'm not saying vocal jazz is bad - it's just not something I care for very much.)

About a month after her SNL appearance, I borrowed Norah's CD from a co-worker, and I thought it was quite nice. A little slow at times, and not something I'm naturally drawn to, but I found I liked it quite a bit more than I was expecting to. And, I could easily see liking it in some contexts better than others. (For instance, I sure wouldn't listen to Norah if I was driving on a long trip, late at night, all by myself. I'd fall asleep at the wheel!!) But in the right context, I do think her music is quite beautiful, and her voice is clearly something very special.

Norah's sales success is something nearly unprecedented at Blue Note, and some people really want to get into a big debate about whether Norah really is 'jazz' or not, and whether she should be on the Blue Note label or not. Then lots of other people like (or love) her music, regardless of whether it should be called jazz or not.

Personally I don't really think she's really anything like what I happen to call jazz (meaning that I don’t think she’s jazz), but that's OK. It's a big world, and there's plenty of room for people with different ideas, and different ways of categorizing music. If someone wants to call her music jazz, that's OK with me.

Also, a number of us die-hard Blue Note fans think that the mega-sales of Norah's CD's have helped the label to re-release some more obscure jazz albums from the 60's, which is good for those of us who really love that sort of thing.

Well, that's my story about how I came to hear Norah Jones' music. Cheers!! 

-- Rooster Ties

Damn, I'm "squeaky-clean" subversive... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::g:g

I've posted in some other threads there too, and I'll probably continue as long as the mood strikes me. Also, I think I'm getting pretty good (at least in this post about how I first heard Norah) in writing in "young-speak"... :g

Of course, I am concerned that this quote will get me banned from over there...

"...but that's OK. It's a big world, and there's plenty of room for people with different ideas..." ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties