Favorite trombonist

Name your favorite trombonist from the list  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A person you could have included but is often overlooked is Bill Harris. Way underrated. His work with Flip is very good and the first cd High Note put out with him and Charlie Ventura is also good (the second, not as good).

Curtis Fuller's the one for me. A soulful player with a great tone and superb musicianship. He's on some of my all-time favorite recordings. Check him out on Jimmy Smith playing "Blue Room." His statement of the melody is enough to make me want to know the words to the song.... :D

I voted for JJ, Tea second, Fuller third. Had he been there, I would have voted for Rosolino. But the all-time underrated trombone great has got to be Carl Fontana. Nobody, but NOBODY of the post JJ players had the melodic flow at tempo that Carl had (and perhaps still has, though I understand he's quite ill).

We shouldn't overlook Bill Watrous, either. I heard him live in a club one night with a very hot rhythm section and he was phenomenal. Unfortunately, his recordings don't always do him justice.

John (Tapscott), if you check out that Rosolino link on the first page, you'll find a link to a page on Carl Fontana. Apparently, he's in the later stages of Alzheimer's right now. Very sad. What I've heard of Fontana (which admittedly isn't much), I've liked quite a bit. That trombone page also has links to quite a few other (unheralded) masters of the slide instrument.

I don't suppose Bob Brookmeyer would fit into this category (as the valve trombone has no slide, unless it's the super-bone, which I guess has both valves and a slide), but I would have cast a vote for him too. Can't wait until the Mulligan CJB Mosaic comes out. There are going to be some tasty Brookmeyer solos in that set. :excited:

John (Tapscott), if you check out that Rosolino link on the first page, you'll find a link to a page on Carl Fontana. Apparently, he's in the later stages of Alzheimer's right now. Very sad. What I've heard of Fontana (which admittedly isn't much), I've liked quite a bit.

Late :Thanks for that. Carl has been woefully underrecorded in his career. I pulled out a few discs last night just to see what he's on.

Here's what I've found.

Bobby Knight and the Great American Trombone Company - Cream of the Crop (Jazz Mark) - Rosolino is on this, too.

The Great Fontana - a 1985 Quintet date on Uptown

Bobby Shew with Carl Fontana - Heavyweights (Mama)

Stan Kenton - Kenton in Hi-Fi

Cuban Fire

plus a couple of Kenton bootlegs from the '56 European tour which feature two Bill Holman arrangements written to feature Carl.