Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine this morning. #53

I'm just making my way past the Meet The Jazztet material which I already had. So far so good.

I had hoped they might bump up the volume of the Killer Joe intro.

I've just casually flipped through the booklet, but there seem to be some really good photos in this one.

:tup:tup

Thanks to the Jazzmatazz site I've just found that this set is available from CD Universe for $91.21!  (although described at the "Complete Verve sessions").

Link to CD Universe

Never noticed this with any Mosaic sets before.

Interesting - a much better price. I wonder if the packaging is identical, if the set is numbered, etc.

It's probably the same thing as the Mosaic. I'm sure Verve is not putting anything out different. If you look at Mosaic, it says that it's by Universal and manufactured by Universal. Don't explain me to explain the legal niceties since I don't know them myself.

Finances have kept me from purchasing the last four or five Mosaics. . . :mellow:

For me, it's that, and the fact that I always have 90+ % of the music already. Same sad story for the Turrentine, Vaughan, Donaldson, Farlow, Vee Jays, etc etc. Sets I've wanted (and suggested) for years and years, but have managed to all but assemble myself via import CD's and CDR's of OOP LP's over the years. I'd love to have complete sets, and those terrific booklets, but I just don't have hundreds of dollars to throw around (especially when I keep spending what I have on individual jazz and brazilian CD's)... I COULD buy them anyway, but with two kids headed for college... my conscience intervenes. :mellow:

I wish Mosaic had gotten some of these sets out years ago...

I received this set this morning and while I have some of the sessions (5 out of 12, which will be going to ebay soon), purchasing it was an easy decision for me. I've been listening to the first couple of cds at work and this set is good it's scary. It's easily going to rank up in my top 3 favorite Mosaics, along with Hank's and Sonny's Mosaic.

Hmmm. I am listening to disk 7, which is Take a Number. I am finding severe distortion on tracks 5-9 and skipping, really beyond what I think Mosaic would release. I think it must be damaged. I may try burning a CDR, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before contacting Mosaic, so I can give them a head's up.

Finances have kept me from purchasing the last four or five Mosaics. . .  :mellow:

For me, it's that, and the fact that I always have 90+ % of the music already. Same sad story for the Turrentine, Vaughan, Donaldson, Farlow, Vee Jays, etc etc. Sets I've wanted (and suggested) for years and years, but have managed to all but assemble myself via import CD's and CDR's of OOP LP's over the years. I'd love to have complete sets, and those terrific booklets, but I just don't have hundreds of dollars to throw around (especially when I keep spending what I have on individual jazz and brazilian CD's)... I COULD buy them anyway, but with two kids headed for college... my conscience intervenes. :mellow:

I wish Mosaic had gotten some of these sets out years ago...

'aint it the damn truth? I don't think I lack any of this in one form or another ... :wacko:

Hmmm. I am listening to disk 7, which is Take a Number. I am finding severe distortion on tracks 5-9 and skipping, really beyond what I think Mosaic would release. I think it must be damaged. I may try burning a CDR, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before contacting Mosaic, so I can give them a head's up.

You're not the only one. The distortion is bad. At first it sounded like someone playing a tambourine. I'm going to email them right now.

I just called Mosaic and the distortion is bad on all Disc 7s.  They've notified the manufacturer and they're going to replace them all when they get them in.

So I guess we've got another "collector's item" on our hands, though anyone that would pass the damaged disk off to somebody else is lower than a rattlesnake's belly.

Too bad, I actually planned on starting with Take a Number, even if the concept is a bit gimmicky. But there is plenty else to delve into while waiting for the replacement disk.

I just called Mosaic and the distortion is bad on all Disc 7s.  They've notified the manufacturer and they're going to replace them all when they get them in.

So I guess we've got another "collector's item" on our hands, though anyone that would pass the damaged disk off to somebody else is lower than a rattlesnake's belly.

Too bad, I actually planned on starting with Take a Number, even if the concept is a bit gimmicky. But there is plenty else to delve into while waiting for the replacement disk.

Yep, disc 7 is definitely a bummer! Since it's Mosaic, I'm not even gonna worry about it-they'll fix it. :(

Ejp626 deserves all the credit, not me. I just listened to the disc after he mentioned it. It seems that after the fourth track the rest of the disc is bad.

Can't imagine why it would be a collector's item though. It's unlistenable. I'd underadand if it was a Moncur situation. Mine's in the garbage as soon as I get the new one.

Ejp626 deserves all the credit, not me.  I just listened to the disc after he mentioned it.  It seems that after the fourth track the rest of the disc is bad.

Can't imagine why it would be a collector's item though.  It's unlistenable. I'd underadand if it was a Moncur situation.  Mine's in the garbage as soon as I get the new one.

I guess I didn't put in my smiley face. I was thinking about the Moncur disk and how some people (even on this board) were wondering if it would indeed become a collector's item just like those stamps that were printed upside down. But no fear, I will also throw mine out once the replacement arrives.

Eric

May we assume that Malcolm Addey has again done a fine job with the sound?

I sure hope that the culprit reimburses the good folks at Mosaic for the huge expense of sending out replacements for disk 7. A big corporation could easily absorb such an expense, but it has to hurt such a small outfit, especially following the error with the Moncur set a year or so back.

Guest Chaney

May we assume that Malcolm Addey has again done a fine job with the sound?

I've listened to the first two disks and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with these Addey'd gems.