Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/

That Addey is at the helm is often the sole incentive I need. But I'm also holding 5 of 12 in gorgeous Japanese LP Mercury pressings and can live for now without the box, that is, until the siren's 'last chance' call. (Right?)

Until then, I'll put my trigger finger to use dropping the needle to the vinyl.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just called Mosaic and the distortion is bad on all Disc 7s. They've notified the manufacturer and they're going to replace them all when they get them in.

Does anyone have any more details on this?

When will the replacements be available? Do we have to request them or will they be sent to us automatically?

My email response from Mosaic:

We are aware of the problem and are seeking to resolve it. We have not yet

received an expected date from the pressing plant when the corrected disc #7

will be available although our expectation is approximately 2 weeks. There

is no need to send back the damaged disc or to send a request. Once we

receive the disc we will automatically send it to all set owners.

We apologize for the error and will correct it as soon as possible.

That Addey is at the helm is often the sole incentive I need. But I'm also holding 5 of 12 in gorgeous Japanese LP Mercury pressings and can live for now without the box, that is, until the siren's 'last chance' call. (Right?)

Until then, I'll put my trigger finger to use dropping the needle to the vinyl.

My sentiments entirely. Those Japanese Argo and Mercury LPs are too good to sling in the bin.

Well I hate to complain but here goes:  The jewelcase booklet for discs 3/4 is missing the discography info for session F.  I'm shocked that nobody noticed it before me!

SON OF A PUP!

:angry:

B-)

Doesn't anyone at Mosaic listen to the set before it goes out, or check and verify the contents? This has been a perennial problem for BN and Mosaic. Most recent gaffes, the Eldridge cover photo, and the Moncur disc. If availability of personnel is a problem, I bet you that a call for volunteer help would net a good sized bunch of capable folks willing to help with production issues- just for the love of the music and of Mosaic (and maybe the chance of a free set :g ).

Glitches aside, it's a gorgeous-sounding set. Mine came this a.m. and I immediately all but inhaled discs 1 & 2. The MEET THE JAZZTET material sounds much better than my old Chess CD of it. Of the 12 albums, I have only 5, so most of this is new to me. Great run Mosaic's been on in the past month and a half...

If I'm following correctly, the disc 7 problem is in the disc itself rather than in the remastering/source material. I don't know the technicalities of how CDs are made...is there an easy or straightforwad explantion for how a disc malfunction would be responsible for the distortion? It seems unusual...I don't think I've ever had to return a disc for a manufacturing problem.

I don't know the technicalities of how CDs are made...is there an easy or straightforwad explantion for how a disc malfunction would be responsible for the distortion?

I believe this is a good discussion of how a CD works. However, I don't believe it discusses how a CD malfuntion might cause distortion. link

• 3 weeks later...

This is such a wonderful set!! Went right to near the top of my favorites list after the first listen. What really moved me was those Golson quartet sessions. Some absolutely heart-wrenching playing on these sides. Its really something how once you think you know about an artist, you'll discover something new that shows you never really knew thier work. Beautiful stuff.