Serena Williams vs The World

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with tennis (especially men's tennis) isn't bad officiating, it's boring people who have boring games. I'm glad Andy Roddick can serve the ball 150 MPH, but so what? What this sport needs is an immediate infusion of players with less mechanical games and who have discernable personalities...folks the likes of Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and, dare I say it, Ilie Nastase. I know tennis has always had it's share of uncharismatic people...Borg, Lendl and Edberg come immediately to mind...but today's men's product is so stultifyingly dull, I can't even bring myself to watch it. And this is coming from someone who played the game for years and years and used to enjoy watching it as much as any sport on television. I'd take any match Connors and McEnroe ever played over anything I've seen in the last half dozen or more years. At least you could tell they cared.

Up over and out.

The problem with tennis (especially men's tennis) isn't bad officiating, it's boring people who have boring games. I'm glad Andy Roddick can serve the ball 150 MPH, but so what? What this sport needs is an immediate infusion of players with less mechanical games and who have discernable personalities...folks the likes of Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and, dare I say it, Ilie Nastase. I know tennis has always had it's share of uncharismatic people...Borg, Lendl and Edberg come immediately to mind...but today's men's product is so stultifyingly dull, I can't even bring myself to watch it. And this is coming from someone who played the game for years and years and used to enjoy watching it as much as any sport on television. I'd take any match Connors and McEnroe ever played over anything I've seen in the last half dozen or more years. At least you could tell they cared.

Up over and out.

Yeah, I'm sure Serena understands that it's her personality that makes her money.

These lady make more thru endorsements than tennis.

Just look (course we all look) at Anna K. :lol:

Up over and out.

I disagree. I think the problem with tennis is that they allowed the equipment to mutate and dominate the game. These huge oversized rackets are what makes the game so robotic, and I'm sure modern equipment greatly aids these "super servers" the game has today. Return the game to the equipment of say, no later than the midseventies, and the excitement will return. Though admittedly, a little personality would help. If I'd known Borg was the wave of the future... :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with Dave and strongly disagree with Jim. Who can forget the great match that McEnroe and Borg had back in Wimbledon on July 4, 1980. That was a classic thrilling exciting match. Or the matches between Chrissie and Martina. Again, great sports.

I completely disagree with those who bemoan the lack of "personalities" on the men's side. If you're a serious fan, you should be watching for shotmaking skill and exciting competition. Tennis does not need modern day congenital assholes (Nastase), super brats (McEnroe) or petulant man-children (Connors).

But then again, I guess that's why I rooted for Borg and Lendl against those obnoxious jerks.

As for the issue of racquet technology: it is completely wrong to say that the size of the racquet is the cause of the problem of too much power in the men's game. Oversize racquets (110s) are designed for recreational players. NO professional or even semi-serious amatuer, uses an oversized racquet. They also don't use the ultra-stiff racquets that allow recreational powers to hit with greater pace. They don't need help with power, and they don't need an extra big "sweet spot" either.

Professionals use midsize (90-95s) racquets which are only slightly larger than the old woodies.

That is not to say that modern racquet technology has not created racquets that produce more powerful shots than wood models or the earliest composite frames. But I would argue that the greatest difference is that with the advent of modern racquet technology, tennis training changed and young players were taught to hit the ball as hard as they could, and because of that, over time, bassline pounders have been created at the expense of all-court players.

They also don't use the ultra-stiff racquets that allow recreational powers to hit with greater pace. They don't need help with power, and they don't need an extra big "sweet spot" either.

Another reason for this is that if you play frequently, those ultra-stiff racquets are hell on your arm. You see a lot of injuries in the amature world because of those things.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Serena aka Mrs SS1 is clearly the best ladies tennis player....

She makes it look easy

Venus & Serena are playing in the doubles

Serena is 31 and possibly playing the best tennis of her career. When she finally does hang it up(and ties the knot with SS1), she's probably the best female tennis player ever.

serena.jpg

Just had to repeat that-WOW!!!