Have you ever been scammed?

Guest Chaney

A few years back, I was outside, cleaning some windows, when I was approaced buy a young man who proceeded to explained to me that he lived in one of the three apartment buildings across the street and that his wife was at work -- a nurse, I was told -- and that he was home with their infant child. Problem was, he needed to buy some infant formula but his wife had all their money with her. As he had no car, he couldn't get to his wife's place of employment -- y'know, at the hospital, saving lives. (Did I mention their baby was a 'preemie'?) Anyway, he asked if he could borrow $20 so that he could buy the needed formula to feed his prematurely born infant daughter. Once his wife arrived home, he'd come right over and pay me back.

Not fully buying his story buy not wanting to seem completely insensitive -- and after my asking many questions -- I finally loaned him $10.

Wanna guess if I ever saw either him or my $10 again?

banghead.gif

embarassed.gif

Soooooo... anyone else ever get taken?

I got approached a couple of times while waiting in the drive-thru line at a fast food restaurant. This guy walks up to my window and gives this story about running out of gas and could I spare a few $ so he could get some gas. I gave him a couple of bucks, but got suspicious when I got hit with the same story at several other places.

In one case, after turning a fellow down, he marched across the street to hit someone else.

It's a scam.

typical Chuckster indiscretion... :lol:

Hey, I'm not defending banks, and I'm not a "banker" by the way, but you do get a service in exchange for the fees and stuff.

These guys just honestly rip you off, and it's not honest. It's highly dishonest.

They don't admit to begging, which is exactly what they're doing.

I've been hit up twice in the last two weeks with the running out of gas story. The first time I simply didn't have any money on me. Yesterday the guy made it a point to tell me he was from Mississippi; even showing me his driver's liscense. I'm thinking, what difference does that make? :huh:

I was scammed on Yahoo Auctions. When the PlayStation 2 first came out, games were pretty expensive and not always easy to come by. I won a game at $15 or so off the retail price, which was pretty unheard of. After exchanging a couple emails with the seller, I determined the game was never going to come. Negative feedback starting appearing for this person, so I began exchanging emails with other people that had been scammed to get more information. Like me, they had all bid on PS2 games.

The seller wasn't too bright. From his email address, I was able to determine what school he was attending, his parents' home address, etc. I called the university police at his school and had him arrested. A few days later, I got my money back through PayPal, with an apology from the seller for "all the confusion." :rolleyes:

Try working to help the poor, believe me you'll get every scam run past you. My favorite was one guy who was .... shall we just say, not nice. Anyway, he kept trying to run every scam under the sun to get money, my fav was when he "rented" someone's kids so he could make the rounds, you know, "I need money for these poor kids of mine!" Well, the last time he came I told him: "Get lost! I'm just sick of you running all the scams past us, just leave and don't come back." Then he says:" That wasn't me, it was my twin!" :rolleyes: Lord help these people.

A few years back, I was outside, cleaning some windows, when I was approaced buy a young man who proceeded to explained to me that he lived in one of the three apartment buildings across the street and that his wife was at work -- a nurse, I was told -- and that he was home with their infant child.  Problem was, he needed to buy some infant formula but his wife had all their money with her.  As he had no car, he couldn't get to his wife's place of employment -- y'know, at the hospital, saving lives.  (Did I mention their baby was a 'preemie'?)  Anyway, he asked if he could borrow $20 so that he could buy the needed formula to feed his prematurely born infant daughter.  Once his wife arrived home, he'd come right over and pay me back.

Not fully buying his story buy not wanting to seem completely insensitive -- and after my asking many questions -- I finally loaned him $10.

banghead.gif

embarassed.gif

I was scammed, years ago, with the old money for bus fare scam (it was in New Haven Connecticut - the guy was supposedly going to Alabama).

Funny thing is, like you, I gave him half.

Half!!! It meant I didn't believe him but I gave myself a 50/50 chance of being mistaken. Duh!

Edited by David Ayers

A few years back, I was outside, cleaning some windows, when I was approaced buy a young man who proceeded to explained to me that he lived in one of the three apartment buildings across the street and that his wife was at work -- a nurse, I was told -- and that he was home with their infant child. Problem was, he needed to buy some infant formula but his wife had all their money with her. As he had no car, he couldn't get to his wife's place of employment -- y'know, at the hospital, saving lives. (Did I mention their baby was a 'preemie'?) Anyway, he asked if he could borrow $20 so that he could buy the needed formula to feed his prematurely born infant daughter. Once his wife arrived home, he'd come right over and pay me back.

banghead.gif

embarassed.gif

Chaney,

Although you were scammed, maybe this will bring you some good Karma in the future :) .

Mark

Chaney,

Although you were scammed, maybe this will bring you some good Karma in the future :) .

Mark

I hope so.

It really pissed me off at the time but as it was only $10, it didn't trouble me for too long. What did (and does) trouble me is that he's probably still out there plying his trade.

This one happened after my first descibed story:

Winter time, Buffalo, at the corner of Pearl and Court Streets. Pearl Street is on an incline as it heads toward Main Street. A man is in a wheelchair not able to make it up the incline. He asks if I could help. Of course, I answer "Sure!" and push his chair through the slush up to Main Street.

As we near Main, I'm being told that others just wouldn't help him and that my kindness was truly appreciated. (Yes! I'm special!)

Then the hard luck story begins.

Remembering my past encounter with The Concerned Dad, I decline to give him money but wish him luck.

Few hours later, I'm find myself in the same area and there's our friend, yet AGAIN being assisted up that very same treacherous incline by a hopefully wary Joe Citizen!

<_<

Someone once attempted to scam me, but I was too smart for 'em. This was waaaay back in the early 90s when I was still in college and had only recently gotten my first credit card. I got a phone call from a guy claiming to represent Citibank. He said that someone had used my card to rack up a ton of phone sex calls, and they were investigating. I thanked him for his help, and asked him to let me know what he found.

A few weeks later, the guy called back. He said that the calls appeared to have originated from my phone (how he would be able to tell this I don't know) and that I was responsible for the charges. I protested, saying that I made no such calls. I asked for the dates that the calls were allegedly made. It so happened that the dates (in November) he mentioned corresponded with dates that my phone was disconnected (the phone company had screwed up). When I told him, he said that he meant December when he said November. I told them that I had been in Omaha visiting my wife's family on those dates in December. He then got his supervisor who screamed at me and essentally bulled me into agreeing to pay off the debt (which amounted to about $800). He gave me an address to send the payments to and then hung up. Suspicious, I called Citibank and asked if I had $800 in phone sex calls. They said no. I asked if they did business with this company. They said no. After that, I called the State Attorney General's office and reported the scam, giving them the address. I don't know what happened after that, but I did have my phone number changed just in case.

Those scammers seem to spot me miles away! It seems every few months I will run into this at a gas station, Media Play or even at the friendly neighborhood Steak N' Shake! I think driving a 30+ year old car makes 'em think I am more likely to help someone else who is not rich......plus, they can smell my compassionate Conservatism! ;) I too have been without funds in my wallet with some of these guys, or say I only have a dollar...they take it...The guy at the steak N' Shake was quite the salesman, he had his work truck with him, he was a "Christian" :rolleyes: and of course with 2 children far, far from home. Oh, the truck wasn't really with him, or the kids...(they were safe at the church up the road)truck was at the repair shop just down the road as well...the mean ol' repair shop didn't take out of state checks, and he didn't have his debit card with him! He had been trying to contact his boss by phone to get him to wire some money, but hadn't gotten him so far.

He was going to have to earn the money from me, 20 question time! Asked him what was wrong with the truck. Bastard saw my old car, figured I knew a thing or two about old cars, so hit me with some computer related problem! :angry: My brain is racing, is this redneck telling me the truth? Or is he making more money a day than I do? Well, being quite good at this, he peppers me with questions as well, about my car, Steak N' Shake, etc...."God bless me" he said more than once(Yeah, God could bless me by having you fall in a pit of snakes if you are lying to me bud!) I thought if we were outside the restaurant long enough, he would look for a better target to grift. No such luck...I am getting hungry so I say,"Hey, try to call the boss again while I order some food. So, I order inside, he goes to the phone in back...nope, the boss isn't there....damn...ok, I give him 9 bucks back from my twenty. Now I am broke. "God bless you, God bless you!" No pit opened up.

Once he leaves, I start to think of questions to ask...Hey, that's not a church he pointed at anymore, that's where the cemetery is! I could have offered to go up the road to see if I could talk the repair shop into calling the bank on his check to prove it was a valid account and all...sigh....that guy was good at the game....I hope his filet was tough that night....

Not me personally, but there's this guy running for president, the mediocre, former alcoholic son of a former president, who had the opportunity to attend one of the country's great universities, but lacked the intellectual capability to do better than a C average; got arrested for drunk driving; was set up in the oil business and failed; then became wealthy on taxpayer money as frontman for some Texas businessman who owned a baseball team--I'm not kidding, this guy has scammed around half of the country into believing that he is qualified to be president....

Edited by kh1958

Not me personally, but there's this guy running for president, the mediocre, former alcoholic son of a former president, who had the opportunity to attend one of the country's great universities, but lacked the intellectual capability to do better than a C average; got arrested for drunk driving; was set up in the oil business and failed; then became wealthy on taxpayer money as frontman for some Texas businessman who owned a baseball team--I'm not kidding, this guy has scammed around half of the country into believing that he is qualified to be president....

:lol:

I once bought a ticket over the phone for a fund raiser from someone who was supposed to be cop. I should have known when he asked me to leave the money under the doormat. Only time I was ever taken for anything and I got suckered because he said he was a cop. Later I read about this guy and how he scammed a lot of people out of money. The ticket was bogus, of course.

Oh, yeah, and once I bought something from a kid for a school fundraiser when I first moved here. The kid took the check and never came back. I later read about how adults use young kids to collect money for bogus organizations and then take all the money except some change for the kids. They are ususally poor kids and the adults who use them sometimes physically abuse them. Pretty sick, huh? So I don't give money to anyone on the street (except musucians) and I pick my charities carefully.

• 1 year later...

ELEVEN MONTHS LATER...

We're no doubt aware of these e-mail scams but I thought I'd post an exchange from Audio Asylum:

Warning.... clever Amazon phising scam has been launched

this p.o.s. masquerades as an account update from Amazon, warning that your account will be terminated in 3 days. Somehow they have managed to create an Amazon.com simulacrum so it appears that it genuinely does originate from Amazon. You will notice immediate tip offs such as bad grammar and asking you for your ATM code... nice try, fellas...

In Reply to: Warning.... clever Amazon phising scam has been launched posted by tonemaniac on November 19, 2005 at 15:09:33:

I got one that was actually better than what you're describing, no bad grammar or spelling...I get so many of these based on Ebay & Paypal, and they're usually easy to spot, but it was the first one I've seen from Amazon, and better than any of the Ebay or Paypal spoofs/phishes. Very sneaky.

In Reply to: Warning.... clever Amazon phising scam has been launched posted by tonemaniac on November 19, 2005 at 15:09:33:

Mine came in with a link to my login and password. Amazon's policy is that they NEVER send you an email with such a link attached. If you get this, delete it immediately.

Be careful out there, kids.

Ah, New York City. If you've lived there awhile you've heard all the schemes. My wife and I went into the city and stayed at hotel on the east side. Rather than pay hotel prices for a beer I walked downtown a couple of blocks to a deli to get a six pack. On the way I passed a guy walking along pushing a wheelchair with noone in it. It just so happened that day there was a parade and festival on Lexington avenue for Puerto Rico day, with food vendors and whatnot on the street.

I threaded my way thru them, bought my sixpack and walked back toward the hotel, and what did I see among the vendors? The wheelchair, no longer empty, but with the pusher in it, with a tin cup on his lap for passersby. Ah, New York City. :rolleyes: