to tip or not to tip the barber

7/4

$10 hair cut, do you tip and how much?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the 'don't tip the owner' rule but I ignore it. My barber charges $17, I give him a $20 bill.

Unfortunately, come January, his price will go up to $18 and at that point I will need to have a single or two on hand when I go.

As far as general prices go, you can still find barbers that charge $10 is smaller towns like Tallahassee Florida, but they're a dying breed.

And as far as European prices/tipping practices, I'm not surprised by what ubu says. Here in south Florida, many restaurants "automatically" add an 18% gratuity to your check, because so many European tourists simply assumed that the tip was included in the bill, and would therefore leave no tip at all.

Different strokes for different folks, but here at least, you still tip regardless of the price of the service, and the tip on food service is not assumed.

Last time I went to a barber I think I paid $1.65 and I always made sure to have exact change. That was 1962.

Chuck clips his own fades and keeps them real tight and straight. He also creases his khakis and has "Nessa" tattooed on his neck in Old English.

I tip, but I go to Supercuts. Then I go home, get out a pair of scissors and my clippers and try to fix the damage.

I pay $12 and tip $5. He is a nice guy, always finds time for me and at the end of the day, $17 does not seem too bad. Plus I can walk to the barber shop from my house :)

That's it, Eric takes care of all tips in the future!

As far as that "don't tip the owner" rule goes, I can see that the boss is doing fine, he needs no tip from me, but once you start tipping, how do you stop? But he's a good barber with a steady business, and he doesn't have employees. He told me the other hair stylists pay monthly rent on their chair, so his overhead is easily taken care of, he pays no employer taxes since they're all independent contractors, and he even gets a dollar or two on every haircut they give.

Nice job if you can get it ...

$10??? Everytime I go by Supercuts, I see visions of Pete Rose in the seventies! :wacko: No thanks!

My barber recently retired and sold his business, so I've been "shopping". I had been paying $17 and tipping $3 (yeah, I know the 'don't tip the owner rule', but what the fuck...). I finally found someone who did a fantastic job last week. Great haircut, great beard trim for free. No smelly stuff in the hair. Still has Playboy's in the shop. (I don't read the thing anymore, but I find that, if you have short hair, an outmoded sexist attitude is a good sign for a barber! ;) ) His price? $11. I'm sure it'll go up; he's just opened recently. So how much did I tip? Screw it; I gave him the whole $20.

I pay $100 and tip $25, but that's only because I have *absurdly* thick hair, and if I don't go to someone really top-notch I look absolutely ridiculous.

You have got to be kidding!! $100 for a hiarcut? I think you could get Vidal Sasoon to cut your hair for that much!

If I was paying that much I would buy a Flow Bee and transfer funds allocated for haircuts to my budget for MOSAICS!!

Edited by scottb

.... I have *absurdly* thick hair, and if I don't go to someone really top-notch I look absolutely ridiculous.

OK... it's time to post a picture. ^_^

I have a picture I'll try to find from when I was 16 and had a sense of humor about my hair. I grew it out about five or six inches long. It was almost as thick as its length! I looked like a mushroom! I then shaved off the sides, while leaving the hair on top. It was still at least two inches from the surface of my hair to my head!

Every haircutter I've ever been to has said I have the thickest hair they've ever seen.

The guy I go to now has a method of cutting most of the hair very short, while leaving a portion of it the length I actually want. It ends up looking very natural. The only drag is that it is high maintenance; I have to go in once a month.

My barber charges $12. I always tip $3 to make an even $15.

It took me a while to find a decent barber down here. I finally bit the bullet and went to a place suggested by a local. Drake's barber shop. It looks like it hasn't been remodeled since 1972. There are 4 chairs that face a wall full of mounted bass, old license plates and a television set tuned to the outdoor channel. Above each chair is the name of the barber carved in wood. Frank.....Stan.....Bud....Coon. Yes, it's kind of the redneck barber shop. But I tell you what, Stan cuts a mean head of hair!

Yes, it's kind of the redneck barber shop. But I tell you what, Stan cuts a mean head of hair!

But that's good in a barber shop. Give me red velvet wall paper, antlers on the walls (okay, that makes me a bit nervous...), girlie calenders, and a bunch of constipated old men sitting around talking about how messed up the world has become thanks to the lib'rals, and I figure I'm going to get a decent haircut... :lol:

sheesh, you rockafellers need to come to chicago...well, cicero anyway. There are two old mexican ladies that own a barbershop that charge $5. They also spend forever on your hair making sure it is just perfect. So, I pay the five and tip another five, and I've still come out well ahead of all you suckas... :P