BFT #17 - Discussion - Disc 1

Tom Storer

My first try..... :D

1. My favourite things

Nice piano-work, it reminds me to Bugge Wesseltoft or Esbjörn Svenson... but only a guess.

2. No chance, better no idea :(

3. Beatles tune "Can´t buy me love", although nice work, but no idea who they are.

4. The drummer.... hmmm.. Elvin Jones ? or three thumbs down ! :w

5. It might as well be spring, but not Bill Evans :g:g:g ... no idea...., but the trombone seams for me a bit too heavy for the song, IMHO.

6. Äh... ehm .... i give up :rolleyes:

7. Killing me softly, but who "kills" whom in this version ? Just kidding, no idea, who they are.

8. look No. 6...., sorry.

9. Sorry, again a No. 6 ....

10. I have another No. 6 in here... but a very expressive Duo, i like this kind of playing together, but no idea, who it could be or the tune....

11. You got another "white spot" for me here, I think i had to know some of the musicians... damn.... I need another mikeweil-evening-listen-lesson ! :g

12. All the things you are, ... Saxophones ... no idea, but what a nice bass-playing... but, who is this ? The sound of the bass is very pleasant for me. I think, they had a lot of fun, when recording this tune. .... the end ist really funny B-)

13. Again a No.6 for me, shame on me, but the tune sounds familiar... can someone read it from my tongue ??? :wacko::g

Puh... That was hard work :D but FUN at all !!!! And never ending white spots in my Atlas of Jazz

:g:w:)

Thanks to Tom... and No.2 will follow in the next days

Mr. Bassman

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks to Tom Storer for a very tasty and listenable compilation. I haven´t got many guesses regarding players, but I´ve identified many of the tunes (I think).

Here´s a track by track brief (cause I haven´t got much time to go through this one) review. I hope I´ll do some additional research:

1.- "My favourite things", obviously. Not familiar with the piano player.

2.- This is an old jazz standard composed by Armand Piron and Clarence Williams (hey, the latter is credited as composer for tons of songs from the 20´s and 30´s…. though this is very doubtful according to Chris Albertson´s “Bessie Smith” revised book): “High society”

On the players: I´d say the clarinetist is Edmond Hall, so this could be included in

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:pyc8b5p4msqf

or in the Mosaic. This would bring Vic Dickenson, Sidney DeParis and James P., if I remember correctly (I should check my CDs).

3.- Beatles bag here (“Can´t buy me love”). Lee Morgan on trumpet? Stanley Turrentine on sax?

4.- “Taking a chance on love”. No clue on players.

5.- “It might as well be spring”. My guess:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kzvyxdsb8olf

6.- Yeah, an EKE/Strayhorn composition, “Something to live for”. Singer could be Andy Bey.

7.- “Killing me softly”. Who´s playing alto? Looks like a modern guy.

8.- HAFC

9.- Same

10.- “Them there eyes”. My wild guess is a tenor saxophonist who co-led a quintet with ZS for many years.

11.- A swing small group. Some players I should recognize, I´m afraid. Will give it quite a few more listenings.

12.- “All the things you are”.

13.- “Lester leaps in”, but no idea who´s playing this solo track.

Thanks again for a wonderful compilation, Tom.

Edited by EKE BBB

1. “My Favorite Things.” Tommy Flanagan perhaps?

2. Sounds like one of those Ruby Braff/Vic Dickenson Chiaruscuro (sp?) things. The drummer sounds like Jo Jones.

3. Sounds like a Blakey group…without Blakey! Tenor sounds like Benny Golson, definitely Lee Morgan on trumpet, sounds like Bobby Timmons on piano. No clue as to the bassist or drummer. Nice & swingin’!

4. Sounds like “Nancy with the Laughing Face,” but I could be wrong. Wish I knew who the piano player was, that sounds nice!

5. “It Might as Well Be Spring.” No clue as to the ‘bone player, so my guess might as well be Curtis Fuller or J.J. Johnson. :)

6. HAFC™. Lost interest very quickly, though.

7. You’re kidding, right? Is the new rule of the BFT that we have to include some cheesy song from the 70’s on it? ZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! :g

8. NMCOT™, sorry to say!

9. HAFC™ again. Maybe if I listen to this disc outside of work, I can pick up on some of the nuances here. Right now, they’re kinda lost on me!

10. Ditto.

11. Ahhhh, now THAT’S my kinda swingin’! Maybe a Basie small group, that’s GOTS to be Freddie Green layin’ down that awesome rhythm!

12. HAFC™ again. Sounds like an Adderley deal.

13. “Lester Leaps In” of course, no clue as to who it is. Von Freeman maybe?

Well I've not had much listening time on these discs bu here goes my guesses and they are truly just that.

T1 - "Favorite Things..." plus some other quotes in there. Sounds to me like Ran Blake with a helium balloon tied to his left wrist. Pretty of course.

T2 - Bouncing for po-boys. No clue and not a guess.

T3 - "Can't Buy Me A Guess". Dan Gould will dig in on this!!

T4 - Another standard who's name escapes me.

T5 - Again as in #4

T6 - I need a little warm milk now and maybe a little scotch tossed into it for good measure. Oh, but that's exactly what this is.

T7 - WON'T Track so on to ...

T8 - Nice ... goes well with some of Dan's goods from last week.

T9 - Has a bit of Shorter on high here, no? Probably not at all.

T10 - "Them There Eyes" maybe not.

T11 - Oh I like this bestest of all so far... it actually caused me to wiggle my foot a bit and that hadn't happened sice cut #2.

T12 - Geez "All The Things You Are" / "Bird of Paradise" but no clue with this electofied bass going on here and not that I would know if it wasn't.

T13 - "Blues Up and Down..." great tone here but no clue to this solo.

I think I'm getting antsy with this one and will defer to the old HAFC on all these. Looks as if I've been outed as a jazz board poseur as I have no idea what's what here and can't really muster a guess based upon tone and chops like the masters.

Thanks Tom and I shall move on to #2 which will wake me from my slumbers.

I finally had a chance to listen to both discs. Disc one twice and Disc two once. I listened to both discs in my office. It’s not the ideal environment for attentive listening, but because of all the activity at home, it is where I do most of my listening. I took notes while listening and have not read any other responses before posting my comments.

DISC ONE

The overall mood of disc one seems to be somewhat impressionistic or meditative, with a couple of exceptions.

1. Solo piano rendition of “My Favorite Things”. Very impressionistic rendition, which after two listens did not provoke much of a reaction from me.

2. This is a traditional/New Orleans jazz tune with clarinet, trumpet and trombone as the lead instruments. I have not investigated earlier jazz much beyond some Louis Armstrong so I am not very familiar with most of it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this track a lot.

3. Soulful hard bop tune. Sounds like Stanley Turrentine on tenor. I am not sure who the trumpeter is, but he/she is definitely out of the Lee Morgan/Freddie Hubbard mold. At various points both Horace Parlan and strangely McCoy Tyner came to mind as the pianist, it is unlikely that it is the latter. Meat and potatoes jazz that always satisfies.

4. Sympathetic piano trio. The drummer’s cymbal sound made me think of Jack DeJohnette. The piece attempted to evoke a mood and feeling, which did not do much for me. Too impressionistic for my tastes.

5. I am embarrassed to confess that after two listens I was not able to determine whether this was a trombone or flugelhorn. I am leaning towards the ladder. Regardless, this was a relaxed rendition of a standard tune that I enjoyed a lot.

6. I generally like this male vocalist’s voice, but this particular track does not do it for me.

7. Alto-guitar-bass-drums rendition of “Killing Me Softly”. It is an appropriately gentle statement of the theme before the saxophonists interesting solo statement. The saxophonists tone is appealing and on second listen it reminded me of Kenny Garrett.

8. Alto-piano duet. It continues the overall fragile mood of the first disc. When listening to the track for the second time the Greg Osby/Marc Copland came to mind even though I have not heard that music. I don’t think it is Osby, however, because the phrasing was not entirely like Osby. That said this particular track is okay at best to me.

9. Medium tempo swinging tenor quartet track. The tenor is very interesting. A familiar tone and an imaginative solo. The tone sounded a little like what I can remember of Ernie Watts’ playing.

10. Good saxophonist that is coming out of the early swing/big band period.

11. Something else from an earlier period of the music that I am not entirely familiar with. I must confess again that I have not listened to a lot of pre-bop music and have yet to form a significant appreciation.

12. Swinging quintet track with two altos on a familiar standard. My attention focuses on the bassist a lot. He/she plays some very interesting lines underneath the soloist. I like how the pianist structured its solo. One of the saxophonists is firmly rooted in post bop, while the other seems to be influenced somewhat by the avant garde. The second alto’s phrasing is slightly reminiscent of Anthony Braxton. Very interesting track.

13. Tenor – bass duet.

CD 1

#1 Very nice, "My Favorite Things", obviously. No idea who it is, but I do like it!

#2 Some good-natured fun. No need for me to guess, as my collection is still rather thin on pre-bop jazz. May be Edmond Hall? Or Sidney Bechet himself? The tune's "High Society". Awesome! I need to dig deeper into this kind of music.

#3 Nice transition. Some hardbop now. I think don't know this one, but I have a feeling I should be able to indentify at least some of the musicians. Love the tenor solo. Has that messengers vibe to it. Lee Morgan?

[Ten minutes break, ubu searching his BN stuff... not finding anything] Obviously I'd love to know this. Oh, well, after a second listen, things get clearer: that's Mr. T. on tenor, right? Don't think it's on one of the CDs of his I own. Maybe from that nice little black box of his?

Love his sound and his lazy phrasing.

#4 "Taking A Chance on Love". Starts in a Bill Evans manner, the drummer, and later the piano player too, makes me think of the Jarrett Standards trio sans bass player. Very nice! Love what the drummer does. Also it's great that the pianist - while laying some soft chords with his left hand - omits to play any walking bass lines.

#5 Big nice sound, yet so fragile. Very touching performance! I know that tune but can't name it. What an exhausting listen - this one is totally honest. Terriffic!

#6 This one's not really down my alley, yet due to slick programming, it doesn't leave me cold after the previous track.

#7 "Killing me Softly". Probably easy to find with AMG? The king's too lazy on his stone-age dial-up... All a bit too straight for my likings. Don't really like the sound of the tenor, a bit too clean.

#8 Nice sound on the tenor here. Love how it sounds in the lower range! The piano has an almost classical touch.

#9 One of those younger guys? Joshua Redman? Don't like that tune too much. The whole performance isn't bad at all, but not very original. I think I'd stick with Redman, as I seem to hear some of his lick in there. Brian Blade on drums?

#10 "Them Their Eyes". Fascinating how the sound of the horn opens from the very first, almost bass-clarinet-like tone and timbre to that wide open tenor sound! Love the loose phrasing and the huge sound. Pretty much control needed to play like this. Later day Griffin? One of his duo CDs? I only know the one with Horace Parlan, but don't have it at hand. Could this be Martial Solal? The humor he elicits from the piano... almost like Jaki Byard.

#11 Back in time a bit... Hodges-like alto? Nice big-toned (Pops-influenced) trumpet, some swing from the Forties? Should I know this one? Could it be from Hawk's Mercury dates? Have that nice 4CD box, but not with me (aargh!). I think there's a date with some clarinetist on there, right? Would be Roy Eldridge or Joe Thomas on trumpet, then, I suppose.

#12 "All the Things You Are". I like the stuttering intro, and what the drummer plays throughout the theme.Some recent Lee Konitz? The man records so many discs of late that I stopped trying to keep track...

This sound, no one gets that, except for Lee (except for Nat Su, but as he's already - and to my big surprise - been on Nate's BFT I don't think he's here again, already). But who's the other saxophonist? Ted Brown? Or is it two altos? Would need another listen to this tune. Maybe I'm totally wrong...

#13 Basics to end disc 1... Very nice! A short lesson in the history of the tenor saxophone.

ubu

Wow, I'm quite ashamed about my totally wrong guess for #10! -_-

Now I always prefer that guy by a hair when he's playing with his friend ZS, yet I don't have any of his discs, so far (as opposed to a few ones by ZS). That one shall be put on my buying list!

Also on #8: I need to have my ears fixed, it seems, hearing a tenor here... I don't have that disc, but it seems it would be a nice one to have...

For at least slightly more successful guesses by the king, please visit the thread for disc 2, thanks -_- .

ubu

As ever with bfts I can positively recognise very little. Heres some thougts on what I hear...

Disc 1

1. My Favourite Things. Lovely sound and piano and quite a dark interpretation. Like this a lot

2. Not to my taste but sounds fun at least

3. Have this on a compilation I'm sure where he 'Stanley Turrentin Plays the Hits'. Rolling good fun though I prefer the Bacharach and David hits! What is it with Beatles tunes in Jazz

4. Nice version of Taking a Chance on Love but can't idthe pianist

5. Like the trombone a lot and another favourite tune

6. I can guess Andy Bey (though I've heard very little) and like the buttery voice. Don't generally like male vocalists but this has a lived in warmth I like, kinda like Terry Callier if anyone out there likes him.

7. A song killed by many a lounge singer has a near resurrection here but I don't know if I could come back to this because of the song... Playing is fine enough though.

8. Lovely intimate recording and sensitive playing is a plus here and again I've no idea who this is but like it a lot

9. Sounds ok but no ideas on who this is

10. Like the duet and the informality. no idea who it is though

11. No ides here either but the clarinet is really ho!

12. This sounds familiar and sure I've got this (Konitz?). Have a lot of his stuff and it all needs a play through since though I love it, its quite chewy.

13. No ideas here either and as ever with these things I always realise I need a bit of a history lesson

Excellent disc though with things I'll love to know what they are

Thanks

Reading through others comments and coming back to this I'm glad to see that its not just me who can't recognise a lot of folks. Looking forward to the answers...

Edited by fent99

First of all, thanks to Tom Storer for this fine collection of tunes! I have very much enjoyed these tracks, particularly track 8 of Disc 1 and track 6 of Disc 2. As usual, I have not read anyone's responses prior to writing my own.

Blindfold Test #17 Disc 1

Compiled by Tom Storer

1. "My Favorite Things" is clearly quoted, an apt opener. Piano sounds newer, I think. No guess.

2. Jammin' little track, no clue.

3. I have this. Stanley Turrentine?

4. I'm bettin' others can spot that drummer. Wait a minute, do I have this too? I might have another version of this tune.

5. Soul soothing trombone/piano/drums. JJ?

6. "Someone To Watch Over Me" - don't know the voice. It's nice.

7. "Killing Me Softly" - CTI, Grover?

8. Coltrane? Great stuff, several goosepimple moments.

9. Tina Brooks?

10. Fun track, I'm not familiar with any sax/piano duos and I'm drawing a blank.

11. Reminds me of RDK's wild and woolly BFT 11 Bonus Disc extravaganza! Bird?

12. Getz?

13. Solo sax, nicely performed. Lots of fascinating moments and decisions. Is the artist mimicking sounds from the absent bandmates as he goes?

5. I am embarrassed to confess that after two listens I was not able to determine whether this was a trombone or flugelhorn. I am leaning towards the ladder.

Well, even though it was the former and not the latter, let me just say that there's nothing to be embarrassed about on that. I had a similar struggle, and I think it's remarkable how different this player sounded on the 'bone.

I get embarrassed all the time on these BFT's, especially in that I often struggle to recognize what saxophone a player is using. I just don't admit it very often. :g

BTW, I went out to buy the CD that provided us with track 5. Those OJC's used to be everywhere... but now some of them seem to be nowhere (brick & mortars, that is). I'm going to track it down, though. :tup

Ok, I've finally had some time to sit down with this disc and compile my thoughts. This might end up being the BFT where I recognize the most tunes while recognizing the least # of players. That being said, I really enjoyed listening to your selections! Disc one has a really nie flow to it. Very well programmed.

1) My Favorite Things, but I have no clue who this pianist is. This track is soothing, yet somewhat dissonant. I am intrigued enough to want to hear the album this was taken from.

2) Dixieland revival-ish. I have no clue who this is, but I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Not exactly my cup of tea, but a fun track, nonetheless.

3) Can't Buy Me Love, and I'm starting to gather what the theme is here. I'd guess this is Stan Turrentine, but I don't really know. It sounds like that general era of Blue Note and the sax player’s tone reminds me of Stan the man, so that will be my guess. Nice tune.

4) sounds like an ECM date, but I have no clue who these players are. I really like this track.

5) again, no clue who this is, which isn't surprising, as I know next to nothing about albums led by trombonists. Starts out nice enough, but didn’t really grab me at first. This song definitely grew on me with repeat listens.

6) Not my cup of tea at all.

7) Killing me softly, I’ll guess Kenny Garrett, but I’m not sure about that. This isn’t a song that has ever done all that much for me and this track isn’t changing that at all.

8) No clue who this is. I really enjoy the pensive, brooding vibe of this track. I’m looking forward to reading who this is.

9) No clue who this is, again. Nothing here is really grabbing me. A lot of “flash,” but no substance to this sax, imo.

10) Nice track, no clue who this is. It sounds like a throwback to the late ‘40s, in a way, but recorded sometime more recently. I really enjoyed this one.

11) No clue, I’m not very familiar with music from this era. Not really my cup of tea, but some nice swinging music.

12) Lee Konitz? I really enjoyed this track. The drum seems to be overmiked, but some great energy here. Late 1970’s recording?

13) Another very nice track and a nice way to finish of the disc. I have no clue who this is.

Well, I was slow to give the discs a listen, but how's this for dedication?

Picture a house that's doubling as an oven in the aftermath of a hurricane.

Our intrepid reporter is desperately trying to fan himself into some semblence of, well, not comfort, but less discomfort.

What do I do? I get out the old disc man and give the BFT a careful listen! ;)

Track 1 - Well, I'd hope that the following tracks would constitute a few of your favorite things! Unfortunately, I wasn't at all engaged by this pianist. Kind of made me think of Bill Evans, but mostly because he's a pianist I don't like either. :)

Track 2 - Woody Allen? No, I'm serious! I heard he can really play ... Anyway, before my "time" but I have to say that there's a vitality and spirit that is infectious and fun. :tup

Track 3 - I know this, I know this, I know this ... but what the hell is it? Definitely a Blue Note. Stan the man on tenor? Great track, and I'll surely kick myself when I see the other responses. Double :tup

Track 4 - "Taking a Chance on Love" - love the tune, don't care for the performance. Guess we're oh for two on pianists.

Track 5 - Is this trombone or trumpet? Muted? OK, its trombone. Nice, but no guesses.

Track 6 - DKDC

Track 7 - A classic pop tune from the early 70s, "Killing Me Softly". Wasn't this written in response to Don McLean's "American Pie"? I think I read that somewhere. Anyway .... UGH! As pop music: Four stars. As jazz: negative infinity stars. I'm just thankful they didn't cover that other singer/songwriter classic, "At 17".

Track 8 - I'm going to say its someone who's listened to some Rollins, but otherwise, DKDC

Track 9 and 10, liked them but no clue.

Track 11 - Thank you, but NO.

Track 12 - All the Things You Are. See track 11.

Track 13 - Lester Leaps In. Loved the start, hated the overblowing. Big :tdown I'm afraid.

Thanks Tom for an interesting first disc. Not all hit the spot, but some definitely did!

Nothing wrong at all! You likes what you likes.

Would you mind telling that to Nessa? ;)

Speaking of which, if you had put a wink next to your observation, I wouldn't have responded. But I couldn't interpret the smilie you used, so it left me confused as to what you were trying to say, which is why I asked if there was something wrong with my comments.