BFT #17 - Discussion - Disc 2

Tom Storer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drummer was the leader? Maybe. I didn't know if it that's the case, as that's not how it was identified to me!

If it's the same recording I know, it's from a festival that presented the drummer as artist in residence, last year. He's not really the leader, but it was him who picked the band.

If we are thinking it is the same drummer, that's my understanding as well. I have at least one other recording from his artist in residence series with a sextet I believe.

Edited by relyles

Blindfold Test #17 Disc 2

Compiled by Tom Storer

1. Right off the bat, this is awesome. Miles?

2. Ike Quebec? I should know this tune, I've heard it performed before.

3. Milt Jackson with a CTI group?

4. Ornette Coleman? Not my cup of tea, but quite a show of stamina I must admit.

5. Lots of suprises in this track, very intense. Reminds me of Monk for some reason.

6. Woody Shaw? Dig this one a lot.

Once again, thanks to Tom Storer for the music! Now, to read everyone's responses... :tup

Let's make a deal your highness: I'll delete my post, you'll delete your post ... only tells me this didn't sound monkish at all. I dislike it when they use Monk's tunes as mere blowing vehicles without really playing the tune! :w

gone, no offense intended, and you're right about Monk abusing for blowing, but I think Straight No Chaser is one of the straightest Monk tunes around, so in that case I don't think it's really an abuse.

...I think Straight No Chaser is one of the straightest Monk tunes around...

FWIW, the first few times I heard "SNC" were in numerous "advanced" jam sessions during my freshman year of college. I wasn't playing, these guys were way out of my league at the time, I was just listening and soaking it all in. Didn't even know what it was until I asked somebody. Had only heard "some" Monk, and definitely not that tune. Had definitely heard of it though.

It took me about a week to realize that the head was actually in 4/4!

...I think Straight No Chaser is one of the straightest Monk tunes around...

FWIW, the first few times I heard "SNC" were in numerous "advanced" jam sessions during my freshman year of college. I wasn't playing, these guys were way out of my league at the time, I was just listening and soaking it all in. Didn't even know what it was until I asked somebody. Had only heard "some" Monk, and definitely not that tune. Had definitely heard of it though.

It took me about a week to realize that the head was actually in 4/4!

Nice story, Jim! I guess it CAN frighten your ass off is someone really goes deep into that tune! I LOVE the head, and can hum it everytime everywhere.

Straight No Chaser is by no means an easy tune! Somebody remarked that probably nobody memorizes that tune correctly after first listen - the rhythmic variations are very intricate and oblique - and that should show in the way it is played, not just treated like a head on blues changes, which it is on the surface. Notice Monk never played it that fast!

Now onto disc #2

1) I really like this track! Nice vibe, nice playing, possibly my favorite track so far, from either disc. Wow…this just keeps on getting better and better. This has to be Mingus. I need to get a copy of this disc. How is the rest of this show?

2) St. Thomas, this must be Sonny live in the early ‘60’s? I had no clue who anyone else was on this track until I heard the drum solo. That has to be Han Bennink. Again, this is a fantastic track! I really would like to hear the rest of the show.

3) I have a feeling I should have known who all of these players are, but this just isn’t clicking for me right now. I’m not too crazy about what I’m hearing from the bass and guitar. No clue who this is.

4) No clue who this is, but I’m really enjoying this track. I’m looking forward to finding out who this is.

5) sounds like Herbie Hancock to me…Tony Williams on drums? I’ll guess Ron Carter on bass. Nice track! Great sound and wonderful energy.

6) Woody Shaw. Fantastic, fiery track! I’m really enjoying this one. No clue who the rest of the players are, or when this was recorded, but the sound quality is fantastic!

Tom, this is one of my favorite BFT discs! I need to track down most of these discs once you reveal who these players are. Many thanks for putting together two fantastic discs!

Not as successful with Disc 2, I'm afraid. I'd say the theme though is "tracks that are not quite ready for prime-time as far as audio quality goes". ;)

Track 1 - Couldn't take this past about 3:15.

Track 2 - The famous Rollins calypso, St. Thomas.

Track 3 - Straight No Chaser, probably liked this loose jam session track best.

Track 4 - Bye Bye Blackbird. Elvin on drums?

Track 5 - NO. A thousand times, NO.

Track 6 - My guess is Hub. But I'm probably wrong.

Thanks again, Tom!

Loved that disc 2. Are those from your private stash, Tom? Could not trace any of these sides. Enjoyed this from start to finish especially the final one.

Here goes:

1- this HAS to be the Mingus group from 1976. The tune is a Mingus classic 'For Harry Carney'. I have a similar version on the JazzDoor bootleg from Keystone Corner and the lineup is the same. I recognize Jack Walrath, George Adams (the man could really shake the house!) and Danny Richmond. Not so sure about pianist Dannie Mixon but I would have to check back on his playing,

2- Sonny Rollins going into St-Thomas. This HAS to come from the 1965 European tour of Rollins. It sounds like the trio that I heard in concert at the Mutualite in Paris: NHOP on bass and Alan Dawson. Puzzled by the drum player. Cannot recall Dawson's drumming like the one here but that was a long time ago!

One of the best interpretation of this composition.

3- I like that one but am unable to identify the players. I hear some reminders of Wes Montgomery in the guitar interventions, the vibraphonist could be Gary Burton. Then I'm not really sure. If it's him, it might be Larry Coryell on guitar but I cannot recall having heard play that well either.

The tune was 'Straight No Chaser', of course!

4- Another intriguing track. Variations on 'Bye Bye Blackbird'. Not impressed by the sax player who sounds too tentative. The drummer has obviously listened to Max Roach. And he is very impressive.

5- This HAS to be Hancock, Carter and Williams. I never heard that trio perform together live but I heard them half a dozen times when they were with Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter! A very nice one!

6- What a nice way to conclude the disc with Woody Shaw. This one cooks! Is that the quintet with Carter Jefferson and Victor Lewis? Loved that unit. I miss Woody Shaw!

Tom, can't thank you enough for providing the two discs of stimulating music.

This BFT was one of the very best one ever.

Working on this one--will add more later.

1: Mingus, this tune is on Changes, though this is clearly a live version by the Adams/Walrath/Pullen version of the band. Nice to have the rest of the band drop away leaving Adam & Richmond for one episode. Pity about the fuzzy sound on the piano, but nice to hear DP going inside the instrument! Interesting Walrath solo too. A really nice track; in many ways better than the rather restrained version of this on the original studio album.

2: So far the theme seems to be “excellent but poorly recorded live gigs”. Odd to hear this done with such a piping tone, keeping to the simple flavour of the original tune, rather than just reverting to hard bop. The saxophonist keeps tightly to the chords, though when the bass inserts some substitute changes at one point he’s is right on them. No idea who this is, especially the drummer responsible for that very unusual solo.

3: more live stuff, ugh a rather clotted statement of this Monk theme. I think this is an honest to goodness bass guitar rather than just a horribly amplified acoustic bass. I’m finding it hard to care too much about this track during the piano solo; I get a little more interested in the guitar solo. The drummer & vibist sound familiar. Hmmmm.... I would guess Gary Burton on vibes but what’s he doing in this messy blues jam? Swallow on bass. I can’t figure this track out.

4: ugh, the worst sound yet on the comp. Alto, drums and somewhere in there a bassist I guess. “Bye Bye Blackbird” with some quotes of other things like “When Lights Are Low” & “Naima” & Bird licks & whatnot. I can’t even begin to guess who this is. A floating vibe to the alto that oddly reminds me of Konitz (or maybe Benny Carter, considering the “WLAL” quote). Whereas on the previous tracks the shortcomings of the recordings didn’t interfere with my enjoyment, here it does, but even so I just don’t like this at all: very longwinded & somehow despite the changes of pace & direction it comes off as unvaried.

5: geez, some decent sound for once, a nice change. A little percussion then a drum solo. Oh right, this is a Hancock tune, “One Finger Snap”. I really am not getting much out of this pianist who doesn’t seem to know how to shut up & whose solos come in tiny stuttering, endlessly repeated BITS. Maybe DeJohnette on the drums. Probably my least favourite track on either disc of the compilation. Hm, maybe Marc Johnson on bass. Nah not deJohnette. No idea about the pianist.

6: “Speak Low” opening on the bass with piano chords out of Debussy’s “Sunken Cathedral”. Then a fast tune in a 1960s Shaw/Hubbard vein. Maybe Bobby Watson’s Horizon, with BW on soprano for a change? Naaah. The trumpeter gets the 1st (long) solo & it sounds like he’s in charge..... Sounds like hardhitting pastiche of 1960s trumpet, so clean & whipcracking I think it’s a Young Lion rather than a 1960s veteran. Noisy accompaniment, esp. about 4 minutes in. This is basically a kind of jazz I respect but generally avoid: hard, glossy, self-absorbed. Soprano solo, so what. The pianist I like a bit more as he introduces a sense of relaxation into what’s otherwise a pretty ear-bashing track. Good lord that drum solo is noisy.

I think my least favourite tracks on this 2-CD comp are the last three. Oh well. Most of the rest I liked. Thanks for putting it together Tom, & for the emergency airlift of the BFT when the 1st one didn't show up.

Edited by Nate Dorward

On disc 2, everything has been either nailed or correctly guessed, more or less. Note that the guitarist on track 3 has been tiptoed around but not yet guessed!

When I first heard that 'Straight, No Chaser', the initial reaction was that this was Wes Montgomery. But it did not match the sounds I heard in the recordings with his brothers.

I have relistened to that track and may be making a fool of myself (there have been precedents), I am returning to this reaction. It's Wes (and his brothers).

Hope I'll survive Tuesday's results list!

Hope I'll survive Tuesday's results list!

I sincerely hope you do - and when you have survived mine, nothing will happen to you any time ;) . You still got the discs?

Yes, and played as honest as humanly possible. I started ;listening to them last week.

I loved disc 2. Have had a hard time with disc 1, not really my cup of tea...

Guesses are few so far but one was a pleasure. But I will have further listenings (mainly to disc 2)!

Just shortly in front of the deadline :g ....

Disc 2 is "not easy" ^_^

I can only guess and remark some "perhaps"-ideas

Eins: The tune is familiar to me, but no clear idea at all... Well, the bassplayer sounds a bit like Mingus, that would be my guess. The other musicians ??? Not the slightest idea.

Zwei: The tune ist the "beloved" St.Thomas (i don't like it to play, but i listen with great pleasure to a good version of that tune! I guess it should be the maestro himself ??? Sonny Rollins ? Hmmm. the bass-Player ??? ... Ashes on my head ! No idea at all :(

Drei: This is straight, no chaser. The bass, maybe an electric upright ? Or indeed a bass-guitar ? Hmmm, not shure about that, sounds a bit odd. Guitar is not Wes :g

Vier: Aaaahhh, these drums... i'm sure i have to know this one.... Not only the drummer, but the tune itself.... at the end there is a bit of Naima, right ? But no idea to the other musicians, bass-player is not recognable for me, sorry (... just another ashes on my head...). Saxophone sounds "familiar", but ... again ashes !!! ;)

Fünf: Happy bithday to you ???? on the cymbals ??? :g Piano player.... Aki Takase ??? Just a guess, and no idea about the others.

Sechs: No idea about this tune, trumpet ... at first i thought Freddie Hubbard... but no..... , the bass player sounds indeed familiar.... <_< hmmm just another ashes....

Puh, it is done, but not very brilliant, i think.... now i will read the other notes in here...

But thanks to Tom! Very interesting and fun, indeed! And a lot of ashes on my head :g

Fünf: .....  Piano player....  Aki Takase ??? Just a guess, and no idea about the others.

Read the others' guesses and pour more ashes ... didn't I give you those live bootlegs ? Or are they buried in the "to listen to" pile?

Computer problem has been solved, BTW :D

Edited by mikeweil

Computer problem has been solved, BTW biggrin.gif

Aaah ! That is good news, otherwise i would have called you in the morning.

My guesses are really quickshots, i could only listen twice to CD 2, you might know why... :g , but now Mikails Examination-Lesson-Text is finished too and he did some recordings in the afternoon here, ..... for practice.... german folksongs.

Back to the guessings... Aki Takase was indeed a shoot into the blue sky... but i rolled a dice..... 1-3 was Herbie..... 4-6 was Aki ... i rolled a 5..... i should give the dice a kick in the *** !

BTW... i was lucky with my posting... just 5 min in front of Toms answer-thread!!!

But the live bootleg must be in your pile ???

CYA soon ! :)

Edited by Mr. Bassman