New Selects!

sal

Dexter Gordon and Don Pullen. Both look like winners to me!

Mosaic is really something....just when they are already putting out the best product availiable for recorded music, they come back with these Mosaic Selects which in my opinion are just as good as their regular boxes, but in a different way.

I want the Dexter for sure. :tup

It's odd for me that, for the first time ever, with the Don Pullen Select, Mosaic is releasing material that even 'I' already have a copy of. The Don Pullen is 1980s material and I was purchasing jazz in the 80s. There was no way I could have purchased the 50s and 60s material when it was initially released. In the 1980s, however, I was there.

Note: All of this material was recorded off the sound system at the club at 7 ½ IPS rather than with professional remote recording equipment at 15 IPS. The quality of the music far outweighs the imperfections in the recording process.

A cautionary note? Addey's involvement is heartening, but Kurt Ludvall's is not, base on his work with Lovano's recent live recording at the Vanguard.

Kurt is his son (or brother I forgot what MC told me).

Indeed his recordings are not so OK (to use an understatement).

Let's hope his remasterings are a lot better.

I think the majority of these Pullen recordings are digital in the first place so there's not a lot to gain anyway.

Cheers,

Reinier

I've got the Pullens except for the last solo set. I think I'm OK without getting that one.

The Dexter sounds interesting. I always liked "Manhattan Symphonie" and thought that was a bit under-rated. I saw that quartet at the Keystone in '77 and although I don't remember the set specifically, I'm sure it was smokin'. ^_^