Don Cherry

Late

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it through the first few listens, but now it's generally boring to me. The Ornette camp (Cherry, Blackwell, Haden) are in fine form, but the additional rhythm players come across as a little too cautious at times. Coltrane's soprano here (and maybe it's just me) sounds fairly cursory, although this is of course an early stage of those talents (and not miles behind the soprano work on My Favorite Things, which I still have trouble getting behind [i like the tenor features on that album, tho]). I think this session has a lot more in common with the early Cherry/Lacy sides than the Ornette Alantic recordings, although it's less successful than either; The Avant-Garde has little of the aggression or just-below-the-surface anarchy of anything that the cast therein assembled could produce (and did produce) in other, similar settings. Nice, but not great.

Edited by ep1str0phy

• 2 weeks later...

avant%20garde.jpg

I listened to this one twice today. Certainly not a "great" record, but not bad either. Curious might be more appropriate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Having Percy Heath on board (for the tracks he's on) seems to change things up a fair amount. Overall, I like it.

What do you think?

I think its great!

avant%20garde.jpg

I listened to this one twice today. Certainly not a "great" record, but not bad either. Curious might be more appropriate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Having Percy Heath on board (for the tracks he's on) seems to change things up a fair amount. Overall, I like it.

What do you think?

I think its great!

[/quote/]

I'm with Sal.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought a vinyl copy of Don Cherry/Gato Barbieri -"Togetherness Suite" on Inner City Records. Can't say I knew about this before...but Wow!!!!

Is this an obscure recording? It should be more talked about!? :)

Great group sound--fresh approaches; yet it brings to mind historical comparisons...there's even some Jobim in there...

A great purchase for me(wasn't cheap) ;)

& possibly...you :)

I'm always looking for a similar recording at Montmare(sp??)--65'!!!Never have heard that one...

Edited by Trumpet Guy

Just bought a vinyl copy of Don Cherry/Gato Barbieri -"Togetherness Suite" on Inner City Records. Can't say I knew about this before...but Wow!!!!

Is this an obscure recording? It should be more talked about!? :)

Great group sound--fresh approaches; yet it brings to mind historical comparisons...there's even some Jobim in there...

A great purchase for me(wasn't cheap) ;)

& possibly...you :)

I'm always looking for a similar recording at Montmare(sp??)--65'!!!Never have heard that one...

I bought the original on Durium back in the day (one benefit of being an old fart). Nice indeed. Never saw/heard the Copenhagen recordings. SteepleChase probably has copies of the tapes.

I have the Durium also (and I'm a young fart, as you know!).

It was issued in France on the Freebird label, in addition to the US Inner City pressing.

Yes, I've heard there was more material from Don's Paris 5tet let out of the vaults, but I have not seen the discs myself.

Check here and here. This material is much closer to "Complete Communion" than it is to "Togetherness", particularly with regard to Barbieri's playing, which is about halfway between "Complete Communion" and "Symphony for Improvisers".

This discography is a pretty good reference for Cherry's issued material. This one is a companion site that lists unissued material, though the dates that Haidenbauer gives for the two Magnetic recordings - March 17 and 31, 1966 - are also listed by Kassman. Kassman shows 15 or 16 live recordings by various Cherry led quintets with Barbieri between October 1965 and October 1966, mostly from Europe but also including performances from New York.

Don't know about those "vaults", though. I doubt if any of this is the property of a record company. The Magnetics were boots and this looks to be all privately recorded, though I imagine much of it is available on the trading circuit.

In that Don Cherry discography, the date for the soundtrack to the Skolimovski film 'Le Départ' is wrong.

I was at the session. It was recorded on April 10, 1967 in Paris.

Beside Don Cherry and Gato Barbieri, the other musicians at the session were Luis Fuentes on trombone, Jacques Pelzer on alto, René Urtreger on piano, Jean-François Jenny-Clark on bass and Jacques Thollot on drums!

Re: brownie--good band. I'm a big fan of Thollot in more open-ended contexts--what's the flavor of this one?

Never had a chance to listen to that music on disc. Hope it gets a proper release soon!

Planning to videotape the film if and when it shows up on one of the film channels here!

• 1 month later...

codona.jpgcodona2.jpgcodona3.jpg

Are there any fans of Don Cherry's albums with Nan Vasoncelos and Collin Walcott (Codona) on the ECM label? I acquired the third lp a couple of years ago and liked it alot. Today I found the first two on lp, so I bought them. I haven't heard them yet, but I like the group sound.

I've heard them on radio for years and I finally picked them up recently. Ground breaking

for their time and there's some interesting boots out there too.

Edited by 7/4

Guest donald petersen

but how disappointing was "hear and now"?

i know i expected a lot more but i don't know why i would have since i also thought "brown rice" was disappointing. though better than "hear and now".

avant%20garde.jpg

What do you think?

I think its great!

[/quote/]

I'm with Sal.

I like this one too.