Modern Rock - what do you like???

There's a new album by Spoon called "Gimme Fiction" that's pretty good.

Also, here are a couple of capsule reviews from the NY Times the other day that sounded really interesting. (they're available on eMusic, too - FWIW)

'Separation Sunday' - The Hold Steady

The Hold Steady is a band from Brooklyn that looks back to move ahead on its second album, "Separation Sunday" (French Kiss). Craig Finn, the leader, came to New York from Minnesota, where he led a band called Lifter Puller that also included the Hold Steady's lead guitarist, Tad Kubler. Performing last week at the Bowery Ballroom, Mr. Finn described the Hold Steady as a bar band, and where Lifter Puller used to back him up with circling, insistent guitar vamps, the Hold Steady adds an old-fashioned classic-rock swagger, direct from the Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello. The Hold Steady definitely knows how to mesh a pair of guitars and splash some keyboards on top.

Mr. Finn isn't a standard lead singer: he's more of a lead shouter. He talks more than he sings, telling stories in rhyme but not exactly rapping, though he does come up with good old-fashioned rock choruses. In that, he follows through on New York talk-rockers like Lou Reed and Patti Smith, not to mention another Minnesota émigré, Bob Dylan. The songs on "Separation Sunday" continue the tales of characters from the Hold Steady's 2004 debut album, "Almost Killed Me." They're people from a misspent Midwestern youth: drunks, druggies, lovers and a lot of suburban Catholic kids gone wrong. In songs with titles like "Crucifixion Cruise" and "How a Resurrection Really Feels," they're looking for redemption when they're not looking for thrills. These are songs full of offhand aphorisms, and they can grab you from the first line, like the one that starts "Multitude of Casualties": "She drove it like she stole it." Of course, Mr. Finn climbs right in for the ride.

'The Wedding' - Oneida

Since 1997 the prolific and protean Brooklyn band Oneida has been exploring rock as incantation and bombardment. It has drawn on the patterns, the blare and the perpetual motion of Minimalism, primordial metal, 1970's kraut-rock and organ-driven garage-rock. Its two most recent releases, the excellent late-2004 EP "Nice./Splittin' Peaches" (Ace Fu) and the new album, "The Wedding" (Jagjaguwar), still feature the motoric keyboard-and-drums workouts that make Oneida so exhilarating onstage. Now Oneida is dipping more deeply into the 1960's. Some songs on "The Wedding" add the chamber-pop refinement of a string section; others invoke the haunted, distortion-edged drones of the Velvet Underground, the feathery fingerpicking of Pearls Before Swine, and the measured reverb grandeur of early Pink Floyd. And where the music grows more pensive, so do the lyrics. Although Oneida still cherishes enigmas and portents of death, "The Wedding" also includes something like love songs, including "Know," a series of apologies carried by Philip Glass-like string arpeggios: "I'm sorry you told me I block out the sun." "The Wedding" has some misfires, but vulnerability makes a promising new territory for Oneida. As much as this band loves repetition, it's determined not to repeat itself.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must agree about Sun Volt vs. Wilco.

Have not picked up anything real new recently, but these are holding up very well.....

Ryan Adams: Cold Roses

Bright Eyes: I’m Wide, Awake It’s Morning

Rilo Kiley: More Adventurous...what is it about this one?????

Not rock, but old school country in a style I like(and does not insult) is Laura Cantrell. New one coming out on Matador. I love the Sundazed. Just a great voice, decent songs and a couple other guys in the band. LMK what you think. Probably, for those who do not like the voice of Lucinda Williams. Just do not expect LW's song writing.

The Hold Steady looks interesting. I've been pretty much enamored by Patti Smith's latest.

Edited by wolff

g73616t69vp.jpg

Currently obsessing over Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti Worn Copy. He (Ariel Pink) was apparently discovered by the Animal Collective guys and they issued his first two records on their Paw Tracks label.

Ariel Pink basically does to 70's soft rock what Guided By Voices did to British Invasion and prog. In other words, these are all home made 4-track recordings. Strangely teetering the fence between sloppy, painfully low-fi bedroom experiment and epic, grand composition.

[EDIT: In other words, it sounds like very early Ween except (1) the music isn't funny and (2) it's probably a little creepy. Good luck...]

Edited by Brandon Burke

I've always liked Son Volt more than Wilco, particularly once Wilco decided to first become the BeachBoys with all their poppiness around the Summerteeth album.  :tdown

You should try Wilco's new one "A Ghost is Born". Far from poppy.

I have seen The Mars Volta mentioned twice in this thread, and I must make a third mention.

I don't wish to resort to hyperbole, but their most recent album, "Frances the Mute," is the best album I have heard all year from any genre.

The band was in town last week and they were killer. Even with a less-than-average sound system the band made wonderful extrapolations on the album originals. A somewhat unorthodox line-up was heard: reedsman playing bass clarinet, tenor, flute & percussion, a conguero, keys, bass, guitar, drums, & vocals. The drummer has spoken of his disparate influences from Elvin Jones and Tony Williams, to Billy Cobham, Tony Allen, and Bill Bruford. And John Bonham. :)

The music itself is a shifting prog-rock / hardcore thing, with some 70s heaviness and salsa thrown in for good measure. Maybe some Krautrock, too. The prog thing scares many folks away -- don't worry -- they aren't Yes. Sure, they are prone to Fripp-like angular guitar excursions and EAI-sounding bridges between tunes. The lyrics in both Spanish and English are nonsensical but very interesting. Words for the sake of words. Almost like he chooses the words for how they sound, rather than what they mean.

I read this review on somethingawful.com that was funny as per usual, but also inviting. I immediately went out and bought the record.

The Decemberists, PICARESQUE :tup and Petra Haden/Bill Frisell's eponymous CD. My favorite two pop CDs of the year so far (and Haden's now playing the Decemberists; there's a full concert you can listen to online at NPR's All Songs Considered).

I'm hoping to eventually launch a weekly indie-pop program at our station, so I'm slowly getting back into the current scene. Really liking the Shins as well.

Still haven't heard the new Beck, though it's supposed to be somewhat like ODELAY. I loved SEA CHANGE--man, what an album!

Guided By Voices (and all Robert Pollard related projects)

Pavement and Stephen Malkmus solo (new album "Face the Truth" is a killer)

P.J. Harvey

Devendra Banhart (weird folk rock)

Sleater-Kinney (the new "The Woods" is mighty good)

Spoon

Death Cab for Cutie/ The Postal Service

The Books

The Mountain Goats

Broken Social Scene

The Wrens

Elliott Smith

Yo La Tengo

Dinosaur Jr (since they're back together)

The Pixies (same deal)

Deerhoof

Wilco

The Decemberists

The Shins

The Thermals

Joanna Newsome (more weird folk)

Apostle of Hustle

Interpol

Modest Mouse

Bright Eyes

M.Ward

Sonic Youth (although now they're Sonic Middleaged)

Sufjan Stevens

Belle and Sebastian

Tobin Sprout

and much more GUIDED BY VOICES

Edited by Werf

Right on! I think they're the best rock band around right now. I didn't find the new one as immediately appealing as their previous "One Beat" (which is probably my favorite rock record of the decade) but it's grown on me immensely and I think "Let's Call It Love" might be my favorite S-K tune.

I saw somebody on Amazon describe The Woods as "'Daydream Nation' meets 'Back in Black'". Yeah, that sounds about right!

Right on! I think they're the best rock band around right now. I didn't find the new one as immediately appealing as their previous "One Beat" (which is probably my favorite rock record of the decade) but it's grown on me immensely and I think "Let's Call It Love" might be my favorite S-K tune.

I saw somebody on Amazon describe The Woods as "'Daydream Nation' meets 'Back in Black'". Yeah, that sounds about right!

Haven't heard the new one yet, but hope to soon. My fave is ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE.

Haven't heard the new one yet, but hope to soon. My fave is ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE.

All Hands is killer! Each one of those tunes is a gem. SK are coming to town in June and I think I might just have to go!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm officially a White Stripes fan!

Had never heard them before, and a friend lent me "White Blood Cells".  What a kick ass rock album.

I heard about them a while ago and my friend borrowed to me all of their albums (even their latest one). They really kick ass!

I feel like most of the 'up-n-coming' indie rock bands I listen to are about ten or fifteen years old (I think I said this somewhere before). Most also end up being from a certain Kentucky city that isn't the capital.

But to reiterate an already ancient post by Sr. Burke, Gastr del Sol and Sonic Youth are two-handedly probably the most important factor in most of us under-35 types paying any attention to Fahey, Feldman, Ferrari, Brotzmann, Marion Brown and all the rest of it... hell, I'll admit checking Thurston's Grand Royal article and buying every Table of the Elements release I could get my hands on as a sophomore in college.