Modern Rock - what do you like???

That's actually kind of cool. I can only imagine what People Pitch sounds like in China. Lots of dance influence throughout as well. That whole scene certainly keeps it interesting. Let me know what you think when you get it! I wonder what Brandon Burke thinks of this one. I know he was into Animal Collective.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the band that my son is a member of, the somewhat ironically named Crush Kill Destroy (they're certainly loud, but the name comes from what a rogue andriod keeps saying in a episode of "Lost In Space"):

http://www.crushkilldestroy.net/rock/ckd/

Stuff to listen to there. Among their admirers is guitarist Ty Braxton, Anthony Braxton's talented offspring.

I don't think AF are as good or as bad as they are made out to be. They just don't get me excited, one way or the other. (U2, on the other hand, makes me want to join the NRA.)

I'll tell you one "hot new indie band" that I really can't stand - The Decemberists. God they make me want to barf. I've never been able to stomach cutesy/twee/poppy bands. But that's my problem, I guess.

Edited by J Larsen

I agree re: Supper. I personally love that album. "Morality" is such a killer song.

A friend of mine just got back from Portugal (The Dead Trio). Apparently Arctic Monkeys is held in very high regard over there. I never gave them any time, confusing them with Snow Patrol.

Larry, thanks for the link to Crush, Kill, Destroy. I can get into that.

(U2, on the other hand, makes me want to join the NRA.)

:rofl:

I'll tell you one "hot new indie band" that I really can't stand - The Decemberists. God they make me want to barf. I've never been able to stomach cutesy/twee/poppy bands. But that's my problem, I guess.

I have the same problem, and I've tried 'em out several times at different times, wondering if they would eventually catch. Nope. I can't stand the melancholy lyric/poppy jolly melody thing that seems to be part of every song. I loved mariner themes & accordion 20 years ago with The Pogues but I'm tired of accordion in every blasted indie band nowadays (okay, an exaggeration.)

I don't think AF are as good or as bad as they are made out to be. They just don't get me excited, one way or the other. (U2, on the other hand, makes me want to join the NRA.)

Where your really hear the U2 influence is with Contemporary Christian Rock -- every other band has the U2 sound. Yuck!

The Kings of Leon are pretty cool, I saw them open for Dylan when he came to Seattle. I liked.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a thread over on the SH forums, that Yep Roc Records is having a sale on some of their vinyl - $4.99 apiece! They have Minus 5, Robyn Hitchcock, Los Straitjackets, and others. Per-order shipping is only $4.

Plus each album you order automatically gets you a FREE download of each of those albums, DRM free, or whatever it's called.

Yep Roc Vinyl Sale

The new Interpol single is one of the most atrocious things I've ever heard in my entire life. I still like the Panda Bear album, though it has lost a little of its initial luster for me.

I haven't listened to it in a couple of weeks. Where do you think it is lacking?

re: Interpol, I never really picked up on their stuff. Sounded very square to me, but I haven't given it a chance.

I never really liked them all that much - I made myself tolerate them because my ex threw their first cd on a lot, but now that she's out of the equation...

However, the new song where the singer repeats "My body is your body feel free to use my body" in sing-song like 50 times in a row is really one of the worst things I've ever heard on the radio. Give me Nelly over that shit any day.

(And I thought "It's like stabbing yourself in the neck" would be a hard line to beat!)

I noticed a thread over on the SH forums, that Yep Roc Records is having a sale on some of their vinyl - $4.99 apiece! They have Minus 5, Robyn Hitchcock, Los Straitjackets, and others. Per-order shipping is only $4.

Plus each album you order automatically gets you a FREE download of each of those albums, DRM free, or whatever it's called.

Yep Roc Vinyl Sale

I ended up ordering:

Minus 5 - Down with Wilco (2LP)

Robyn Hitchcock & Venus 3 - Ole! Tarantula (LP)...the Venus 3 = Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Bill Rieflin.

Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked (LP) ...with Gillian Welch and Davis Rawlings

Total for order was $18.97 shipped. Plus it includes free MP3's of each album, and free "bonus" MP3's of the RH/Venus 3 EP "Sex, Food, Death and Tarantulas".

I'm going to go back and look more closely at some of the other stuff I'm not as familiar with - Paul Weller, Bob Mould, Go-Betweens, and Ian Moore.

The National - Boxer is my record of the year so far. Absolutely gorgeous. Works fantastically as a driving around at night record. I will see them on saturday opening for The Arcade Fire. Suffice to say my AF opinions are about opposite Clem's, although we do agree on U2. The new AF is just ok, but Funeral is one of the best records of the past ten years.

Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm a big fan of Jack White's. I love the White Stripes and White's new album with the Raconteurs is fantastic.

The White Stripes have a new one coming out in June. I'm digging Jack Whites stuff lately...the last Stripes album and the Ranconteurs were both excellent. Can't wait to hear this new one.