Dinah Washingon Roulette Mosaic

Brad

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone picked this up yet?

Got it last week and have listened to the first two discs. I tend to like the Sigler-Norman material on Disc 1 better than the Don Costa sides, which do get a bit wearisome at times... but in general, Dinah's singing is very good and the song selection is also pleasing. I actually enjoy the contrast of her voice with strings... Hoping to listen to discs 3 & 4 tonight.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm leaning toward picking this one up.

I think you should, Ed. Costa's arrangements are much better on disc 3 (IMO) and Fred Norman returns on disc 4 (which has BACK TO THE BLUES & other similar material), and I'm enjoying this set more & more as I go along & re-listen to each disc. I didn't even realize that Kenny Burrell & Illinois Jacquet put in appearances as well.

OK, Ed, for those of us who are still on the fence about the Dinah Mo, you owe us a review once you've had a chance to digest it. Fair enough?

Up over and out.

I second that request. After listening to the clips on the website this afternoon, I'm leaning towards putting this on the "to-get" list.

• 2 weeks later...

You got it.

I received email notice that the set will ship w/in 24 hrs.

As a side note, I ordered the Brookmeyer and Shank/Cooper Selects. Brookmeyer is shipping. Shank Cooper on backorder. Sales going well perhaps?

So, Ed, what's the word on the Dinah Mosaic? Inquiring minds need to know. :g

As a side note, I ordered the Brookmeyer and Shank/Cooper Selects.  Brookmeyer is shipping.  Shank Cooper on backorder.  Sales going well perhaps?

The Shank/Cooper is not the only one. The following note is posted on the Mosaic site concerning Holiday shipping.

Please note that all Mosaic sets are in stock and ready for shipment except for Mosaic Select MS-003 (Randy Weston) and MS-010 (Bud Shank/Bob Cooper) and Mosaic Records boxed set #129 Charlie Parker. These are on backorder and will not ship until after Christmas.

Cheese whiz or not, love this set. The Mosaic sound is about a thousand percent better than the Mercurys....that's a conservative quantification. Disclaimer: Dinah could sing the theme from Sesame Street and I would groove on it. If you like Dinah, I daresay you will never hear her better than here-kudos to Mr. Addey again.

Well, I’ve had this set for well over a week now and have given it a pretty good listen. Before I offer my opinion, I’ll offer some personal background. First of all I have had VERY limited exposure to Dinah Washington prior to picking up the set. I’ve heard a few songs either on a jazz station or as part of a compilation. Probably the single most extensive exposure I had to her was the three clips on the Mosaic site. But I heard her distinctive voice and liked it enough to want to hear more. I certainly have had no exposure to the Mercury and EmArcy recordings that apparently brought her recognition in the R&B and jazz worlds. So I guess I’m pretty much judging this work on its own merit, though perhaps the knowledge that there is material out there of higher quality could influence my opinion.

Also notable is that I generally have a pretty high tolerance for material that is at the fringes of jazz. Pop oriented material with orchestras is something that I can enjoy so long as the material doesn’t get too cheesy - if you know what I mean. I’ve already posted some favorable comments about the Hackett set. Also, some of the pop oriented work by folks like Nat King Cole, June Christy, Peggy Lee, George Shearing, June London, Jonah Jones etc - stuff that straddles the line between pop and jazz - is material that I can get enjoyment from when I’m in the mood.

All that said, on to the Dinah Washington. I like it. I guess I’d go so far as to say I like it far more than I thought I would - given the commentary that I had read here and on AMG . There’s a lot amount of pop oriented material here. Maybe 50 - 60% of the set falls into this category. For the most part, though, I've enjoyed it. The arrangements are very tasteful and very good - occasionally excellent. Washington is generally backed by a string orchestra for this stuff, but in general the strings generally don’t go over the top if you know what I mean. They add a very lush and sometimes gorgeous feel but for the most part add to the music and ambience without dominating it. Washington’s singing style really works well in these settings well. On a few tracks there are some background singers that on a couple of occasions border on annoying without quite getting there.

There’s also quite of bit of material with a full orchestra - horns and strings - that has a big band/swing feel to it. It’s generally very well done, though it is definitely commercially oriented in its feel. The set of songs on disc 1 recorded with solo piano and flute was very nice.

Disc 4 is the real winner in the set. It’s the Back To The Blues material with a few extras. First rate throughout. I love the song Blue Gardenia which is apparently previously un-issued. It might very well be my favorite song in the entire set. The material on this disc is probably the most jazz oriented in the set - hands down. You can tell though, that the material is aimed at a broader audience as you can sense that any rough edges have been sanded off. Still very good though in spite of that.

Would I recommend the set? Yes - with a few ifs. If you like pop oriented material, if you’re okay with orchestras heavy on strings, if you’re okay with commercially slanted big band arrangements featuring a full orchestra with horns and strings, if you‘re okay with material with a bluesy feel to it that is accompanied by an orchestra. I don’t mean that to be a series of negatives - just fair notice to anyone thinking they are getting a pure jazz set. The execution of this material is first rate, IMO. The sound is outstanding. I dig it. You may too if you go into it with the right expectations or if you are predisposed to liking material of this ilk. I doubt if you’ll find much better pop material than what you hear here with Dinah Washington’s interpretations of this material, but if you’re expecting the Count Basie Orchestra with Joe Williams, this is not it. If you’re not into the pop oriented style, you might be better served by picking up Back to the Blues if you feel you must have something by her from this period.

I’m thinking about acquiring some of the Mercury/EmArcy material at some point. Just from what I have read here and at AMG, my guess is that I’ll like it and still like the Mosaic material since I heard it first. I wonder if I had heard Washington’s jazz and R&B material first what my response would be to the Mosaic.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

• 3 weeks later...

Ed,

Somehow I missed this review when you first put it up. I just got curious if you had ever penned your impressions, decided to search the Mosaic thread and, voila, there it was. Nicely turned I must say. Even though I have but a couple of Dinahs in my collection, one of them just happens to be a Roulette. I'm thinking, based on that one CD, if it had been me who had the Mosaic, I would have summed it up in much the same manner as you. Personally, I like this kind of material. I think as long as you're expectations aren't too high and, as you say, you pick the right time to listen to it, it can be very satisfying. Right now, I'm saving my nickels and dimes for the new Columbia Swing Sessions box, but the Washington is definitelly on my "to get" list. Thanks for sharing.

Up over and out.

I’m thinking about acquiring some of the Mercury/EmArcy material at some point.  Just from what I have read here and at AMG, my guess is that I’ll like it and still like the Mosaic material since I heard it first.  I wonder if I had heard Washington’s jazz and R&B material first what my response would be to the Mosaic.

Thanks Ed for your review. I'm now pretty sure this Dinah box is not made for me!

Speaking of Mercury/EmArcy releases I can recommend the Verve Master Edition releases to all who like pop-oriented material with orchestra/choir:

• What a difference a day makes!
  • The swingin' miss "D"

I sold both after a short listen.

Because of it's very jazz-oriented style I'll never sell After hours wiss Miss D / Verve Master Edition, 2004. Highly recommended!

I’m thinking about acquiring some of the Mercury/EmArcy material at some point.  Just from what I have read here and at AMG, my guess is that I’ll like it and still like the Mosaic material since I heard it first.  I wonder if I had heard Washington’s jazz and R&B material first what my response would be to the Mosaic.

Thanks Ed for your review. I'm now pretty sure this Dinah box is not made for me!

Speaking of Mercury/EmArcy releases I can recommend the Verve Master Edition releases to all who like pop-oriented material with orchestra/choir:

• What a difference a day makes!
  • The swingin' miss "D"

I sold both after a short listen.

Because of it's very jazz-oriented style I'll never sell After hours wiss Miss D / Verve Master Edition, 2004. Highly recommended!

I picked up WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES a few weeks ago and think it's great, regardless of the pop material and string accompaniment. Dinah can turn smaltzy stuff into gold, IMO. The Mosaic set is high on my radar now. Thanks for the review, Ed.