What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight I saw Spiritual Unity, with Marc Ribot, Henry Grimes, Roy Campbell, Jr. and Chad Taylor. They were fantastic. Seeing the group play Albert Ayler's music in Ayler's hometown (with Ayler's family present) was something special. Albert Ayler's father, Edward, was in attendance. At 97, you wouldn't believe how good he looks. He looks younger than what Albert would be if he were still alive.

It was one of the best concerts I've been to. Campbell is really a versatile player. Between flugelhorn, trumpet, pocket trumpet and an arsenal of mutes (with a bit of flute), he brought a variety of colors to the music. Henry Grimes killed it. With the way the music flowed, it wasn't the type of concert that left much room for applause after solos, but Grimes' violin solo was rewarded with much applause. His arco playing was impressive; like his pizzicato playing, it's just so fluid. I found out after the show that he has been playing violin since he was 12, and that it was his first instrument. In school, he played violin, double bass, French horn, percussion and tuba.

Ribot was interesting. He reminded me of Ayler in spots due to his wide vibrato. My wife, who normally doesn't like avant garde (other than Ornette!), said that Ribot was her favorite of the group. Chad Taylor is definitely out of the Cyrille/Murray school and was busy without being overbearing. During one tune, Grimes was bowing and I think Campbell was on flute. During a serene moment, Taylor dropped a bomb that was like the arrival of thunder at a picnic. For some reason, it worked.

The group really captured the joy of Ayler's music. In a perfect world, Don and Albert would have been there to sit in. It was great to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Grimes after the show, too.

EDIT: Where were you, Holy Ghost? I was in the front row in the left section. Did you stay for the encore? I felt bad for those who left before the band came back on stage.

Edited by Justin V

Another Organissimo member was there??? Aw man, wish I knew :) I was in row G seats 103, 104, left flank. We stayed after they finished the set, despite people racing for the door and glad we did; those people missed another 15 mins of music.

I agree with your synopsis above, great show. I liked how Roy recovered in the first 10 mins of the show, when his trumpet malfunctioned by grabbing his flugelhorn to finish the piece. What was really impressive though was his pocket trumpet playing with the many sounds he was able to get out of it with his mute and hand. Chad Taylor was a surprise too (did you see where he dismantled his high-hat and used it as another cymbal, to add extra sounds to the mix?) What a really versatile percussionist. Grimes and Ribot were spot on through the entire set and besides a single cd "Don't Blame Me" this is my first real exposure to Ribot's playing, which reminded me of Derek Bailey in parts where he would adjust his amp and make it sound like it wasn't even plugged in. Grimes nailed it, like you said, with his arco and pizzicato playing and he can swing! It was great just watching him play.

How did you get to meet Henry Grimes? We stuck around for about 15 mins after the show hoping to see him or the band milling about, but to no avail. Really glad to have seen this band. Maybe this will serve as an incentive for other advant garde acts to come to Cleveland.

Edit to add a photo I snapped of Henry Grimes' bass after the show:

post-5045-0-77974400-1300525464_thumb.jp

Edited by Holy Ghost

Another Organissimo member was there??? Aw man, wish I knew :) I was in row G seats 103, 104, left flank. We stayed after they finished the set, despite people racing for the door and glad we did; those people missed another 15 mins of music.

I agree with your synopsis above, great show. I liked how Roy recovered in the first 10 mins of the show, when his trumpet malfunctioned by grabbing his flugelhorn to finish the piece. What was really impressive though was his pocket trumpet playing with the many sounds he was able to get out of it with his mute and hand. Chad Taylor was a surprise too (did you see where he dismantled his high-hat and used it as another cymbal, to add extra sounds to the mix?) What a really versatile percussionist. Grimes and Ribot were spot on through the entire set and besides a single cd "Don't Blame Me" this is my first real exposure to Ribot's playing, which reminded me of Derek Bailey in parts where he would adjust his amp and make it sound like it wasn't even plugged in. Grimes nailed it, like you said, with his arco and pizzicato playing and he can swing! It was great just watching him play.

How did you get to meet Henry Grimes? We stuck around for about 15 mins after the show hoping to see him or the band milling about, but to no avail. Really glad to have seen this band. Maybe this will serve as an incentive for other advant garde acts to come to Cleveland.

Edit to add a photo I snapped of Henry Grimes' bass after the show:

post-5045-0-77974400-1300525464_thumb.jp

I stopped Mrs. Grimes and waited a few minutes for her to grab a copy of a cd she had brought. It's a benefit cd for Aaron Ibn Pori Pitts, a Detroit artist/poet who suffered a stroke after the album (originally a radio broadcast)was recorded. The cd, For Ibn Pori, is quite good. Ibn Pori's spoken word is thought-provoking and rhythmically flexible, and Grimes swings like mad throughout. It also has saxophonist Andrew Lamb and percussionist Avreeayl Ra, both of whom I was unfamiliar with but whose playing I enjoyed.

When I went back out to the lobby, Taylor and Mr. Grimes were talking to Edward Ayler, and Campbell was talking to someone else. I didn't see Ribot. The bass that Grimes played belonged to Peter Dominguez, a monster bassist and professor at Oberlin, whom I had spied in the lobby before the concert. Mrs. Grimes said that she hadn't been sure whether Mr. Grimes would play his violin because he enjoyed Dominguez's bass so much.

Regarding Taylor, while I was about 15 to 20 feet away from Mr. Grimes, Taylor was sometimes an unseen force with the music stands obstructing my view. I missed him taking the cymbal apart but I saw him using it. I just thought that he had brought another cymbal out from somewhere.

I'd also like to see more avant garde musicians make it Cleveland, but the venues are limited. In the meantime, there's always Hall Walls in Buffalo (where Mr. Grimes performed a solo bass/violin/poetry recital a few months ago) and the Erie Art Museum (where Kahil El'Zabar plays almost every year).

Edited by Justin V

Last night I caught the Allman Brothers at the Beacon in NYC. As their special guest for the evening they brought out John Scofield! He played some blistering solos on 'Elizabeth Reed' and 'Mountain Jam'.During 'Mountain Jam' they interpolated 'Birdland' by Weather Report The Allman Brothers played exceptional, with special kudos to the two fine guitarists, Derek Trucks & Warren Haynes.

Edited by PHILLYQ

Double bill last night, at one venue saw the Rémi Bolduc quartet with guest Géraldine Laurent, very saxophonist this madame Laurent. Went afterwards to see Samuel Blais, who had two ladies from New York in his band flutist Jamie Baum and bassist Linda Oh, all I can say is move Esperanza we have a new queen in town, great soloing and she swings like crazy :excited:

The Cleveland Museum of Art devoted three nights to Albert Ayler. On the first night, the movie My Name Is Albert Ayler was shown. I didn’t attend this in the hope that it shows up on DVD some day. The second night held a seminar on Ayler. I attended this and was pleasantly surprised by the talk and the recollections. And, yes, another Organissimo member was at the performance of Spiritual Unity. All in all, a nice tribute to a Cleveland native.

I’ve lived in Cleveland for three years and am wondering whether anyone other than the Cleveland Museum of Art brings in jazz? I used to live in St. Louis and in Columbus, Ohio, where there were at least infrequent jazz concerts. Also the World Saxophone Quartet—collectively and individually—performed in both cities, due to roots in St. Louis and maybe a devoted fan in Columbus, so I could rely on their shows. Other then the Cleveland Art Museum’s John Zorn and Spiritual Unity shows, not much has appeared here other than locals.

Ironically, while on the topic of Cleveland Jazz, my wife and I went to Nighttown last night to catch the Robert Occhipinti International All-Star Quartet (Occhipinti-Bass, Manuel Valera-Piano subbing for an ill Hilario Duran, Luis Deniz, Sax, and Dafnis Prieto on Drums. Very nice set of up-tempo post-bop originals from Occhipinti.

LWayne

Ironically, while on the topic of Cleveland Jazz, my wife and I went to Nighttown last night to catch the Robert Occhipinti International All-Star Quartet (Occhipinti-Bass, Manuel Valera-Piano subbing for an ill Hilario Duran, Luis Deniz, Sax, and Dafnis Prieto on Drums. Very nice set of up-tempo post-bop originals from Occhipinti.

LWayne

I wanted to make that show but I couldn't. If you haven't heard it already, you should check out Occhipinti's A Bend in the River, a strings date with Prieto. Don't worry about missing Duran; he is at Nighttown at least once a year. I was disappointed in Duran's Motion, however. I found his playing to be a bit ham-fisted.

Edited by Justin V

Tonight it's Joe Lovano US5 at Southampton University's Turner Sims Hall. Nice room, not too large with usually great sound.

Hi John, sorry not able to make this one. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Hi Bob, I'll let you know.

Tonight it's Joe Lovano US5 at Southampton University's Turner Sims Hall. Nice room, not too large with usually great sound.

Hi John, sorry not able to make this one. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Hi Bob, I'll let you know.

Enjoy the gig, John!

This afternoon I saw the Leeds College of Music Band at Wigan Jazz Club. Excellent student band from the UK's longest-established jazz course.

Last night, at Tucker's Blues in Deep Ellum, a Tribute to Billie Holiday, music by Lucky Peterson, vocals by Tamara Peterson.

Lucky Peterson was not present last night (though his replacement on keyboards was perfectly fine), but my initial disappointment/trepidation quickly became positive as Lucky's vocalist wife proved to be a rather good jazz vocalist and creditably performed songs associated Billie Holiday in this hybrid play/musical tribute, with a cast of three (narrator, vocalist, and keyboard player).

I was afraid this might be terrible, but to the contrary, it was quite worthy and enjoyable.

Seven additional performances at Tuckers in March and April.

I just came home from seeing Jeff Beck and the Imelda May band at the Beacon in NYC. It was absolutely amazingfantasticincrediblemindblowingstellargreat. Words are inadequate to descibe both how amazing Jeff Beck is as a guitarist and how Imelda May is as a vocalist. If you have ANY CHANCE IN THE WORLD TO SEE THEM, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They did Les Paul tunes, early rock'n'roll and finished with a heart-wrenching version of 'Danny Boy'that nearly made me cry. 40 years of going to concerts and this was one of the absolute best. I'll be in a state of bliss until at least Wednesday. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lovano gig was fine. I was struck by his enormous and majestic sound (perhaps to do with the radio mic as I hadn't noticed that at previous concerts). Pieces all came from the Bird and Folk Art cds. The two drummers have a lot of fun complementing and anticipating each other. The only con was that the piano was poorly balanced sounding off stage, a shame as Weidman played some interesting things.

The Cleveland Museum of Art devoted three nights to Albert Ayler. On the first night, the movie My Name Is Albert Ayler was shown. I didn’t attend this in the hope that it shows up on DVD some day. The second night held a seminar on Ayler. I attended this and was pleasantly surprised by the talk and the recollections. And, yes, another Organissimo member was at the performance of Spiritual Unity. All in all, a nice tribute to a Cleveland native.

I’ve lived in Cleveland for three years and am wondering whether anyone other than the Cleveland Museum of Art brings in jazz? I used to live in St. Louis and in Columbus, Ohio, where there were at least infrequent jazz concerts. Also the World Saxophone Quartet—collectively and individually—performed in both cities, due to roots in St. Louis and maybe a devoted fan in Columbus, so I could rely on their shows. Other then the Cleveland Art Museum’s John Zorn and Spiritual Unity shows, not much has appeared here other than locals.

Probably Nighttown is the best for national acts, but don't discount the local guys - have you seen Ernie Krivda? I have seen great local jazz at the Barking Spider and the Bop Stop...I assume those places are still around? In the summertime, Cain Park has both national acts and local jazz musicians in outdoor concerts ... usually quite good.

Probably Nighttown is the best for national acts, but don't discount the local guys - have you seen Ernie Krivda? I have seen great local jazz at the Barking Spider and the Bop Stop...I assume those places are still around? In the summertime, Cain Park has both national acts and local jazz musicians in outdoor concerts ... usually quite good.

The Barking Spider is still around. Krivda is a monster, but I somehow don't get to see him play often. The Bop Stop bit the dust at the beginning of 2008. They had planned a New Year's Eve event but canceled it at the last moment. The only time I made it there was a couple of months before that when I saw Howie Smith, Glenn Holmes and Paul Samuels, who are three more formidable Cleveland players. It was a nice place in an odd neighborhood.

I'm at the Savannah Music Festival for the remainder of the week. I've had (or will have in the next couple days) the opportunity to perform with Wycliffe Gordon, Ron Westray, Terrell Stafford, Marcus Roberts, Rodney Whitaker, Marcus Printup, John and Jeff Clayton and the great Slide Hampton, plus many others. It's an educational event- about a dozen invited high school big bands come and get instruction and clinics, and the clinicians perform at several different times for the students. Friday night is a big final concert featuring three student bands followed by all the clinicians performing an Ellington tribute. My first time at this event, it's a lot of of fun (and a lot of work, too!).