What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night at Tucker's in Deep Ellum, a fine show by the Lucky Peterson band. Lucky really came to play last night, tearing it up on keyboards, guitar and vocals, in a show that mixes blues, soul and jazz.

Later in the evening, the impressive Bernard Wright joined the group on keyboards. The name sounded familiar and a little research shows that he recorded with Miles Davis, Lenny White, Albert MacDowell, Stanely Jordan and others.

The group returns to Tucker's next Friday and Saturday nights.

Edited by kh1958

Cyrus Chestnut at Scat Jazz in Fort Worth. I was very bored and left after one set.

I had the same experience a few years ago in Boston.

"Rigor Mortis!", as Babs would say.

And they were pompous--the drummer told us that this was "high level" music.

Last night, I successfully washed away Cyrus Chestnut induced ennui, with a blazing Lucky Peterson show once again at Tuckers Blues. Tonight was just a trio with Lucky on vocals, keyboards and guitar, with bass guitar and drums, plus his wife and one other woman guesting on a few vocals. His trio was sounding rather good tonight--the last of three sets was the highlight, just the trio in a tour de force set featuring Lucky's blazing guitar.

Please tell us how it was Bill!

Really great session which left the audience rapturous! Here's a review of their performance at Cheltenham the day before:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/entertainmentnews/JAZZ-FEST-REVIEW-Pharoah-Sanders-Cheltenham-Town-Hall/article-3507733-detail/article.html

To this I'd add that the classic John Coltrane quartet was everywhere in evidence, with Tyner, Jones and Garrison echoes in the superb accompanists. Age didn't seem to have lessened Pharoah's ability to play tonally superb post-Coltrane tenor and most of the tunes were Coltrane associated: "Giant Steps", "Naima", "My Favorite Things" and "I Want to Talk About You" - "A Nightingale Sang" being the exception. Each of the two sets ended with "The Creator Has a Master Plan" from Pharoah's 2003 album of that name. On these he took competent vocals, and here lies the big difference from Coltrane's serious intensity - Sanders is a great entertainer who includes a good deal of hokum in his act - strumming the tenor like a guitar, singing into the bell, getting sounds out of a bottle and doing a groovy dance (despite being a bit unsteady on his legs!) As someone who saw Dizzy in action several times, I took all this in my stride and the club audience loved it. Finally summoned back onstage by unending applause, Pharoah ended up in a bear hug with a large man in full African gear who'd been prominent in the audience. A night to remember!

Please tell us how it was Bill!

Really great session which left the audience rapturous! Here's a review of their performance at Cheltenham the day before:

http://www.thisisglo...il/article.html

To this I'd add that the classic John Coltrane quartet was everywhere in evidence, with Tyner, Jones and Garrison echoes in the superb accompanists. Age didn't seem to have lessened Pharoah's ability to play tonally superb post-Coltrane tenor and most of the tunes were Coltrane associated: "Giant Steps", "Naima", "My Favorite Things" and "I Want to Talk About You" - "A Nightingale Sang" being the exception. Each of the two sets ended with "The Creator Has a Master Plan" from Pharoah's 2003 album of that name. On these he took competent vocals, and here lies the big difference from Coltrane's serious intensity - Sanders is a great entertainer who includes a good deal of hokum in his act - strumming the tenor like a guitar, singing into the bell, getting sounds out of a bottle and doing a groovy dance (despite being a bit unsteady on his legs!) As someone who saw Dizzy in action several times, I took all this in my stride and the club audience loved it. Finally summoned back onstage by unending applause, Pharoah ended up in a bear hug with a large man in full African gear who'd been prominent in the audience. A night to remember!

Sounds like a blast, thanks for the report.

• 2 weeks later...

After skipping a week, back to Tuckers Blues, for the Lucky and Tamara Peterson Blues Band, and it was a very good night. Lucky mostly played the hell out of the organ tonight. A newer Hammond keyboard set-up, but hooked up to a Leslie cabinet--it sounded great. The usual mixture of blues, jazz and soul--loved the duet (organ and vocal) version of Billie's Blues. Plenty of originals as well (Love Me from the new CD is an amazing piece of organ funk). At least there was a decent crowd tonight, until the third set anyway--a brief but wondrous organ trio set. The proprietor of the club pointed out the incongruity of Lucky's recent concert schedule--appearances in London, Paris, Rome, and Dubai, and his near total obscurity in his home town of Dallas.

I didn't make it to Tuckers until midnight, but I was in time to see most of the second set and the third set. A rather different experience from the prior night, as a percussionist was added, and Bernard Wright sat in on keyboards for the second set; plus a couple of local jazz horn players made appearances. For the third set, Lucky Peterson was pretty much exclusively on piano--a soul cover set--the final and closing song was outrageously good--amazing groove and piano playing. I was very glad I had made it again.

going to the Jazzfestival Schaffhausen tonight:

Irene Schweizer & Pierre Favre Duo (*)

Araxi Karnusian: Miniatur Orchestra

Malcolm Braff Voltage (w/Patrice Moret & Marc Erbetta)

*) Schweizer should have appeared with the Where's Africa Trio with Makaya Ntshoko and sax player Omri Ziegele.

I just read that Ziegele has had some accident and will be unable to play for about a month... as much as I love the Schweizer/Favre duo, I'd have loved a Schweizer/Ntshoko duo even more and was very much looking forward to seing Ntshoko live finally... well, guess it was not to be this time...