What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Bitches Brew & Beyond - tribute to Mile Davis.

WALLACE RONEY (tp) ANTOINE RONEY (sax) BENNY MAUPIN (sax) BOBBY IRVING III (p) FOLEY (b) BUSTER WILLIAMS (cb) AL FOSTER (dms) DJ LOGIC

I think I've never listened to the original album :ph34r:, first spin on Musicme now.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I saw Greg Abate with the Vinnie Parker Trio at Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Everyone was steamin' in the first set, but things fell off in the second when Greg introduced numbers that the local trio didn't know. But Dameron's "If I Could See You Now" was taken at slow enough tempo for Greg to be able to call out the changes as he led them through the middle eight! Not that the trio weren't quite impressive. As their feature they chose Bill Evans' "Very Early", with bass and drums performing in a convincing Evans trio manner. At times like this, Greg retreated to a balcony outside the club where he smoked a large cigar! :D

Spent a very pleasant evening yesterday listening to Andrew Cyrille with Sophie Domancich and Mark Helias play to a packed and very appreciative house at the Sunside club.

I was already a fan of Domancich piano playing but this first live experience was a revelation to me! Helias was magnifique and Cyrille magic, as usual.

Cyrille sported a straw fickle hat during the whole evening.

The evening (and tonights gig) are being recorded for Fall release on Futura records (Gerald Terrones was on hand with an everpresent Chet Baker hat to supervise te whole operation).

Spent a very pleasant evening yesterday listening to Andrew Cyrille

Both times I have seen/heard him he was wonderful. First time was with Jeanne Lee plus Jane Bunnett and her group, the second time with Henry Grimes. This is a musician who is truly master of both 'time' and 'free'.

Today at the Wigan Jazz Festival I saw the Geoff Eales Trio with Neil Yates playing the music of Bill Evans and Freddie Hubbard. Very interesting material: two from the Evans/Hubbard Interplay session - the title track and "When You Wish Upon a Star", plus "Turn Out the Stars".

Spent a very pleasant evening yesterday listening to Andrew Cyrille

Both times I have seen/heard him he was wonderful. First time was with Jeanne Lee plus Jane Bunnett and her group, the second time with Henry Grimes. This is a musician who is truly master of both 'time' and 'free'.

Andrew is an old friend. He is wonderful. Met him back in his Cecil Taylor days. Our reunion ended a 40 years hiatus. Way too long!

Spent a rather great night in St. Moritz yesterday.

Sat at the bar, half a meter to McCoy Tyner's side, so I had clear sight of his fingers all night long... and caught many of the other guys' (Gary Bartz, Gerald Cannon, Joe Farnsworth) smiles and glances at their leader.

Tyner seemed frail when walking to the piano, but once he was seated and started playing, he was completely on, powerful left hand riffs and ostinati, great rhythms, his daring quick-fingered runs and those weird intervals... it was all there. Also he lowly sings along with nearly every solo and has a wonderful voice... the band was good... they did one roughly 90 minute set, mostly of Tyner originals (which I couldn't really name), in between he did a standard (again, I knew it but don't know its title) without Bartz, and as an encore, there was a truly beautiful piano solo.

For those who read german, I put up a much longer account here:

http://forum.rollingstone.de/showpost.php?p=2505879&postcount=16

Thanks Ubu. Good to hear McCoy can still do it.

Yes! It was a bit of a relief since I've heard a few stories that his playing was like that of Peterson post-stroke... sort of having very limited means and acquitting his style to them. Not an impression I ever got during the concert!

But he does look old and frail - my impression was he kind of switched gears once he started playing.

And I was there to help him fetch his bag from under the piano both times he walked out (after the concert and again after the solo encore). The least a young person can do to help him!

Went back to Gig city after a brief hiatus thanks to the help of a fine festival called Nuits D'Afrique (African nights) which focuses on African based music while still stretching a bit towards World Music in general.

Saw Grupo Fantasma, their CDs are more interesting than their live playing as they become a bit too much of a dance party band live, their latin musis which incorporates a bit of jazz, reggae, funk and some hip hop tends to turn into something more generical as they try (too much) to please everyone instead of sounding unique nice version of Burning down the house though.

Saw Bombino a hell of a band, in the vein of Ali Farka Toure but with more a rock attitude. Think of it Tiniwaren would be a more apt comparaison.

Saw last night Oumou Sangaré, very dynamic performer backed by a very capable band.

Edited by Van Basten II

Continuing this great summer for jazz gigs, this afternoon I saw local tenorman Dean Masser with the Gerry Tomlinson trio. Dean's choice of numbers included compositions by Dexter, Mobley, Griffin, Rollins and Stitt, so you know where he's coming from! Very nice listening! :)

This evening I went to a gig hosted by the Bury Jazz Society (a name to conjure with) :lol:

It was their annual gig, as they play records and watch DVDs for the rest of the year :lol: A local tenor and trombone quintet was joined by British jazz star Alan Barnes on alto and baritone. A great night's entertainment!