What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Dave Burrell, solo piano, at Sandaga Market.

I thought this would be interesting, but it turned out to be fantastic. The first set consisted of two long Dave Burrell compositions, The Edge--an inside/outside piece with a very compelling melody at its center, followed by The Rag (which it was). I was really blown away by the first set. The second set was completely different consisting mostly of standards--Ellington (It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got that Swing), Strayhorn (Lush Life), Monk (Round Midnight), other standards (Autumn Leaves, You Go to My Head--the latter was the highlight of the second set), a Jelly Roll Morton piece. The second set was wonderful as well. Dave Burrell is clearly an underappreciated master pianist.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a very good show. The sound was fine. I think the sound problem for the musicians was that they couldn't hear each other through the monitors. I know that Dixon complained that he couldn't hear himself but we could hear him though - pretty LOUD w/ all of the electronic processing on his trumpet. Dixon didn't play all that much and what he did play was more of a textural thing than actual soloing. I would definitely go see the Exploding Star Orchestra again. Apparently they did some tunes that have not been released - not sure if they have been recorded - that were really nice. Check this out.... the drummer wanted - and got - two tympani drums which he never played. Cost the promoter $400.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the good fortune to hear Paul McKee (Free For All) with the Des Moines Big Band last night. They played a number of Free's arrangements and he displayed his beautiful sound on the trombone. He writes some damn fine charts. :D

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck. Great to see you and Ann again.

Well, I made it as far as Nashville today. You make it home yet?

Roy Hargrove Quintet with special guest Pharoah Sanders last night at Yoshi's.

wow! The very reason why I need to go to more live Jazz shows. I have always like Roy but for some reason sometimes his releases don't hit me as they should, like Ear Food from 2008 for example. Very good record but seeing his Quintet live was so much better. Its shame that there are all these great young players out there who's names I won't always remember but Roy sure has a tight band.

The first four songs before Pharoah came out were very much in the Blue Note 62-65 mode. Up tempo modal, floating key signature mid tempo, ballad.. etc. He opened up with a Gary Burton tune and sadly I didn't catch the title but I ned to track it down, I loved the sound and the energy of the set. Phaoah came out for four tracks, one being a Coltrane number and another original by Roy which could have fit on Cresent. First time I have ever seen Pharoah and it was treat. The other great thing was this was the first time I have ever caught a first set show where the band came out for an encore, as encores cut into their time off between the first show ending at 9:30 and going on again at 10. Roy also hanged out at the front of the stage to talk to folks after he was done. I was very impressed, impressed enough to see him next week with RH factor as he is here for a two week residency.

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight it's Freethiopiques, a group that plays what they call "kicking Ethiopian jazz/funk grooves." Reptet members John Ewing and Samantha Boshnack are part of the band; Jessica Lurie, Jim Knodle, Joe Doria and Andy Coe are the other musicians. It's a 10:00 p.m. start time at a place called Seamonster Lounge in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood. If you're in the Seattle area this promises to be a hot show. See you there?

POST CONCERT EDIT:

Whew, this was massive, just massive. Two trumpets: Sam Boshnack and Jim Knodle; Jessica Lurie on tenor sax and flute; Joe Doria on Hammond organ; Andy Coe on electric guitar; and John Ewing on drums. Amy Denio played alto sax in the first set and the horn section was cookin'! Izaak Mills of Reptet added some percussion throughout the night. Nelson Bell of Reptet was in the audience but didn't play. And it was great to see the beautiful and talented Beth Fleenor there too. Some deep, deep grooves and adventurous solos. A gorgeous tune by Dudu Pukwana (can't for the life of me remember the name) and a wild version of Ornette's "Blues Connotation" were among the highlights. This band kicks some serious butt. :party:

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

A gorgeous tune by Dudu Pukwana (can't for the life of me remember the name)...

Bill, that Dudu Pukwana tune is called Angel Nemali. Thanks for coming. It was a blast, was it not?

Thanks, John! Yup, was a blast all right.

"Without machines, who will feed us and clothe us and compose our smooth jazz?" - Hermes Conrad (Futurama)

Great quote, man!!!!!

Edited by Bill Barton

A gorgeous tune by Dudu Pukwana (can't for the life of me remember the name)...

Bill, that Dudu Pukwana tune is called Angel Nemali. Thanks for coming. It was a blast, was it not?

I remember that tune from a Hugh Masekela London album around 1970 or so (which included Dud Pukwana).

This was a tune I used to pay quite a bit in my dj era,