What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Might try out my recently acquired hearing aids tonight on this:

10:00PM at the Hungry Brain, 2319 W Belmont, 773.935.2118

Mike Salter Group

Little Women : Darius Jones, Travis Laplante, Ben Greenberg, Jason Nazary

am unfamiliar with both bands, though sound samples of Little Women suggest that they're not for someone with new hearing aids.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw last night the SF Jazz Collective which as good as an all star pack group as you're going to get nowadays. Rene Rosnes, Eric Harland, Robin Eubanks, Miguel Zenon, Joe Lovano , Dave Douglas and the lesser known member to me at least Matt Penman. Not sure if Stefon Harris is still part of the group one thing for sure, he was not present last night.

The show was done at the horrible Metropolis, good acoustics were of course out of question, the ass sounded awful throughout the night, this was their first gig of a new tour and between some originals they celebrated McCoy Tyner's music. Strong and very interesting arrangements that go beyond the usual self congratulory pattern that this kind of lineup sometimes brings also enjoyed the emphasis on collective music instead of the typical series of overwrought solos.

Wish it had lasted a little longer though, only 90 minutes, for 45 $, the promoters could have at least brought another band to play a set. There was a cd set with 3 disks in it, didn't have the dough on me, was quite expansive 45 $ though. Before i go searching for it, anybody can vouch for it

2008_collective.jpg

On this last Thursday, I spent some time with Aaron Goldberg and his trio ( Reuben Rogers - bass, and Ali Jackson - drums), while they did in a day in town doing workshops at Eastman, gave a discussion with non - music students at the University of Rochester and then a two hour concert in the Interfaith Chapel on campus.

Great band with intelligent original compositions and a smattering of standards done in their oen way. Reuben Rogers was both a rock and a free spirit throughout the day and night.

reuben_rogers_1.jpg

If you haven't hear Aaron's "Worlds", it's well worth your money.

51QQdHpH7ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by marcello

The United Trombone Summit with Slide, Curtis Fuller, Bill Watrous and Steve Turre last night in Indy....cool show. Got to hang our afterwards to hear some fun stories....managed to get the four of them together for a quick photo as well.

Mark~

Edited by sheldonm

Tonight, the Ron Carter Quartet:

Ron Carter - Bass,

Stephen Scott - Piano,

Rolando Morales-Matos - Percussion,

Payton Crossley - Drums

A very fine performance, excellent group interaction. Check them out if you can.

Stephen Scott was featured on My Funny Valentine and incorporated the last 50 years of jazz piano into his solo parts without showing off - he's grown considerably over the last ten years (as did his waistline ...).

Edited by mikeweil

Tonight, the Ron Carter Quartet:

Ron Carter - Bass,

Stephen Scott - Piano,

Rolando Morales-Matos - Percussion,

Payton Crossley - Drums

A very fine performance, excellent group interaction. Check them out if you can.

Stephen Scott was featured on My Funny Valentine and incorporated the last 50 years of jazz piano into his solo parts without showing off - he's grown considerably over the last ten years (as did his waistline ...).

:lol:

Yep, last time I saw Roy Hargrove Quintet, I expected the excellent Gerald Clayton at the piano and it was Scott. No extra notes, no Here-comes-my-solo-Men! just what is needed to keep the groove growing (too).

Zorn's Electric Masada at Yoshi's last night -- pretty great show! Marc Ribot, Trevor Dunn, Cyro Baptista, Kenny Wollesen, Joey Baron, Jamie Saft and Ikue Mori. They sounded more evolved as a unit than the last time I saw the band, with a lot of Game Piece style signals/conducting tricks in the mix. Great show with nice variety of HEAVY music and downright pastoral pieces (Yatzar was gorgeous). The percussion section was absurd...in a good way. The crowd was very enthusiastic and it was cool to see a lot of Bay Area musicians in the house.

nathan