What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to the Velvet Lounge in Chicago to see one night of Fred Anderson's 80th birthday party. My friend from high school, Mike Moynihan, drove up from IU in Bloomington to play as a "Special Guest" there tonight. Then tomorrow night it's a tough choice between Vijay Iyer at the Jazz Showcase and Joe Locke at the Green Mill. Not to mention the Blue Note 7 is playing the big bucks gig at Symphony Center. Feels like I live in NY or something.

I'll be making the rounds of the free SXSW shows again today. Hoping to catch Earthless (psychedelic instrumental freak-out rock) at Maggie Maes this afternoon. Then probably cruise over to the "Full Metal Texas Fest" at Emos.

Don't forget Metallica at Stubb's tomorrow night - though I'm sure that one's not free LOL.

Maybe you'll run into BFrank somewhere too.

Jeez - Honeyboy's great. I've seen him in Atlanta and Chicago. There was something special about seeing/hearing him do "Sweet Home Chicago" at Rosa's in the Windy City.

Going tonight to hear Bill Frisell down the street from me in Atlanta.

It was my first time seeing him and I had a good time. I enjoyed his sound on electric, which he primarily played, but loved his sound on acoustic.

I got so drunk this afternoon I probably could have walked right over him and never noticed. I staggered to the bus stop about 4:30pm, got home at 5 and crashed out. Woke up at 8pm.

I did get to see Earthless though and they were AWESOME! As is typical for them, they played a one song set lasting 40 minutes. :)

Plus I made another neat find, a band called "Black Math Horseman" from L.A., their debut album comes out in April. Really interesting stuff, the only way I could describe it is "ambient doom". The vocalist/bassist is a girl named Sera Timms (she also directs music videos), talked to her after the show and she is very nice...and quite lovely.

Going to be a long day @ SXSW!

Some day shows include Earthless, Black Math Horseman, Ancestors...

Main goal tonight is to catch the Southern Lord Records showcase at Emos

Wino

Wolves In The Throne Room

Pelican

Need to stay relatively sober today....

Vijay Iyer Trio at the Jazz Showcase (Chicago) tonight! Sorry I missed him with Rudresh a couple of weeks ago, but this will partially make up for it.

:tup

I was contemplating a road trip tonight or tomorrow to see Vijay, but I'll probably stay close to home this weekend.

Chicago-based "Charlie Love & The Silky Smooth Blues Band" is making the trip here, so maybe I'll go check them out.

Will Bernard

John Medeski

Andy Hess

Stanton Moore

Friday, March 20, 8PM

Great American Music Hall

Will was a local bay area kid I have been following for years and I get the bonus of seeing Medeski and Moore in a small venue. Looking forward to it.

It's also one of those shows where I can get some friends to go with me. For so many jazz shows I find myself going alone.

Allman Brothers at the Beacon in NYC last night, and as usual they had a special guest. Last night it was Eric Clapton and they did a good chunk of the 'Layla' album, title tune, 'Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad', 'Keys to the Highway', 'Little Wing'- it was magical!

Derek Trucks is AMAZING!!!!!! During 'Love is Everywhere' he quoted 'St. Thomas'! I'm going again tonight but how are they gonna top this?

Vijay Iyer Trio at the Jazz Showcase (Chicago) tonight! Sorry I missed him with Rudresh a couple of weeks ago, but this will partially make up for it.

:tup

I was contemplating a road trip tonight or tomorrow to see Vijay, but I'll probably stay close to home this weekend.

Chicago-based "Charlie Love & The Silky Smooth Blues Band" is making the trip here, so maybe I'll go check them out.

I think this will make the 4th (maybe 5th) time I've seen him live. Usually at the Green Mill. So it will be interesting to see how much the vibe will be different at the Showcase. Before I found out about this show, I was seriously considering a trip to NC to catch him in Chapel Hill (April 3) -- and my dad lives in NC also so it would have made a good time to visit. Anyway, April 4, he is supposed to be playing in Asheville, NC, so anyone in NC should think about checking him out.

I'll be making the rounds of the free SXSW shows again today. Hoping to catch Earthless (psychedelic instrumental freak-out rock) at Maggie Maes this afternoon. Then probably cruise over to the "Full Metal Texas Fest" at Emos.

Don't forget Metallica at Stubb's tomorrow night - though I'm sure that one's not free LOL.

It was "free" if you had a badge or wristband and got there early (both of which I did). In line about 6:45 and they hit the stage at about 9:45 - played for about 90 minutes. Pretty insane, for sure and great to see them in a small, 2,000 "seat" venue (no seats) and up close.

Also saw Earthless (w/J Mascis) at Habana on Friday afternoon. Pretty intense stuff. One long jam for about 45 minutes.

Other highlights: Dan Auerbach, Peter Murphy, Jon Dee Graham, the Silos, Maserati, Hold Steady, Choo Choo, Iguanas (w/appearance by Flaco Jimenez), Dave Alvin, Roy Head & the Bo-Keys, Silversun Pickups, Waco Bros.

Edited by BFrank

Will Bernard

John Medeski

Andy Hess

Stanton Moore

Friday, March 20, 8PM

Great American Music Hall

Will was a local bay area kid I have been following for years and I get the bonus of seeing Medeski and Moore in a small venue. Looking forward to it.

It's also one of those shows where I can get some friends to go with me. For so many jazz shows I find myself going alone.

This show was incredible. The band was locked in, the energy level and musicianship was off the charts. I can't believe I had never seen Medeski or Moore live before. I hope these guys can make time from their other bands to put out more records and tours.

Allman Brothers at the Beacon in NYC last night, and as usual they had a special guest. Last night it was Eric Clapton and they did a good chunk of the 'Layla' album, title tune, 'Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad', 'Keys to the Highway', 'Little Wing'- it was magical!

Derek Trucks is AMAZING!!!!!! During 'Love is Everywhere' he quoted 'St. Thomas'! I'm going again tonight but how are they gonna top this?

Well, I went again on Friday night and I struck paydirt again- Eric Clapton part2! This time he did 'Stormy Monday', 'Elizabeth Reed' and a good chunk of the ayla album. Great night, but 3/19 was complete magic. But I'm not complaining.

Saturday I went to see David Munnelly at Kingsborough College in beautiful Brooklyn. Solid traditional Irish music(No Danny Boy), and he even did a couple tunes that sounded like they'd fit in with a set by Django Reinhardt. Quite enjoyable, lively music- but Eric Clapton didn't show up. here's links:

http://www.davidmunnelly.com/david_munnelly/home.html

http://www.myspace.com/davemunnelly

Also saw Earthless (w/J Mascis) at Habana on Friday afternoon. Pretty intense stuff. One long jam for about 45 minutes.

I saw Earthless three times this week (though I didn't catch the J Mascis gig), I got to spend a good amount of time hanging out with Isaiah (guitarist), he's a very cool laid-back guy.

I saw Earthless three times this week (though I didn't catch the J Mascis gig), I got to spend a good amount of time hanging out with Isaiah (guitarist), he's a very cool laid-back guy.

That's funny. The one show you didn't go to was the one that I went to. Also saw Mascis hanging around the guitar show on Sunday afternoon.

Did you happen to catch Maserati? Very similar music and an INTENSE drummer.

Edited by BFrank