A little medical advice, please...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, last Friday I was up in northern Michigan while Alison had an appointment with another neurologist. He is not related to the MSU Health System and according to my wife was very supportive and wants to actively help her get back to work. He prescribed Neurontin, which she has been taking for almost a week.

I'm happy to say that this medicine basically made our trip to NYC possible. She would not have been able to do any of this without it. It lessens her fatigued, masks most of the tingling, and generally just makes her feel more "normal". And she's only taking a small dosage right now. We're going to try to up the dose a little and see what happens.

So, although we still don't have a diagnosis, at least she has a little relief from the symptoms!

I'm happy to say that this medicine... ...lessens her fatigued, masks most of the tingling, and generally just makes her feel more "normal". And she's only taking a small dosage right now. We're going to try to up the dose a little and see what happens.

So, although we still don't have a diagnosis, at least she has a little relief from the symptoms!

Wonderful news!!! All our fingers and toes are crossed for you two.

At least this is some real progress, for a change -- even if you still don't have hard answers.

I was wondering how Allison was making the trip. Good to hear that something is making a difference in the symptoms!

Yes, the change has been pretty dramatic. She is much livelier, less foggy, and more like herself. And she has a lot more energy. It's quite amazing, really.

We'd still like to know what this is, but after three months of non-stop symptoms, the relief is definitely welcome!

Yes, the change has been pretty dramatic. She is much livelier, less foggy, and more like herself. And she has a lot more energy. It's quite amazing, really.

We'd still like to know what this is, but after three months of non-stop symptoms, the relief is definitely welcome!

This is very splendid news. Relief is great!

Yes, the change has been pretty dramatic.  She is much livelier, less foggy, and more like herself.  And she has a lot more energy.  It's quite amazing, really.

Great news Jim !! BTW, I didn't know you went to NYC.. :o YOU NEVER TOLD ME !!! :blink:

Yes, the change has been pretty dramatic.  She is much livelier, less foggy, and more like herself.  And she has a lot more energy.  It's quite amazing, really.

Great news Jim !! BTW, I didn't know you went to NYC.. :o YOU NEVER TOLD ME !!! :blink:

It was all over the board, you foo! :D

• 1 month later...

Yes, thanks for asking. My wife went back to work at the beginning of this month, part-time. They put her on a new medication called Topomax. The Neurontin wasn't helping. This Topomax stuff is at least relieving her headache, although she says the numbness now seem more prevalent... probably because she's not concentrating on her headache! :)

She's only on half the dosage that she'll eventually be on... they are ramping it up slowly. So far, so good. No one knows what is wrong with her still, but at least she's able to get back to living her life with some feeling of normalcy. She is still totally wiped out after work, however.

• 5 months later...

Well, after having a small lead appear in my wife's problems, we're back to square one. She had been complaining to our PCP about her left eye, which has given her problems from day one (remember that the very first symptom of all this happening back in November of 2004 was waking up with a bloodshot left eye). Recently she had experienced more fatigue in that eye and blurring, along with a strange halo effect and even pain.

So the PCP finally sent her to an opthamologist. He gave her a Humphrey Visual Field Test, which the right eye completed in less than 5 minutes. Her left eye, however, took 17 minutes to complete. So they did it again a few days later. Same results. This led the doctor to think that maybe something is affecting her left optic nerve, so he sent her back to MSU's neurology department to see a neuro-opthamologist.

He performed the visual field test again, getting the same results. He then scheduled an optic nerve MRI that also included her upper C-spine and her left shoulder, since the numbness/tingling/pain goes down into her arm and into her left hand.

We had a follow-up with him today where they performed yet another visual field test (twice!) and went over the MRIs. Basically, he said he has no idea what is going on. My heart broke. I was really hoping this would lead somewhere.

So here it is, almost a year since these symptoms first showed up and we still have no idea what the cause is. At least the Topomax is helping, but Alison is losing a lot of weight (one of the side effects). I'm trying to get her to start drinking some weight lifter shakes for breakfast or something. Something with a lot of calories in it, since her appetite is basically gone. She admitted that while I was on tour, she barely ate dinner, since I wasn't here to goad her into eating it.

But all things considered, we're doing well. I guess we just have to continue to wait and see what happens. The neuro-opthamologist did say that the cause might be viral and such things sometimes attack very specific parts of the brain and cause wacky symptoms like these. I asked if it eventually goes away and he said sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Not very reassuring.

Anyway... just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Well, after having a small lead appear in my wife's problems, we're back to square one.  She had been complaining to our PCP about her left eye, which has given her problems from day one (remember that the very first symptom of all this happening back in November of 2004 was waking up with a bloodshot left eye).  Recently she had experienced more fatigue in that eye and blurring, along with a strange halo effect and even pain.

So the PCP finally sent her to an opthamologist.  He gave her a Humphrey Visual Field Test, which the right eye completed in less than 5 minutes.  Her left eye, however, took 17 minutes to complete.  So they did it again a few days later.  Same results.  This led the doctor to think that maybe something is affecting her left optic nerve, so he sent her back to MSU's neurology department to see a neuro-opthamologist.

He performed the visual field test again, getting the same results.  He then scheduled an optic nerve MRI that also included her upper C-spine and her left shoulder, since the numbness/tingling/pain goes down into her arm and into her left hand.

We had a follow-up with him today where they performed yet another visual field test (twice!) and went over the MRIs.  Basically, he said he has no idea what is going on.  My heart broke.  I was really hoping this would lead somewhere.

So here it is, almost a year since these symptoms first showed up and we still have no idea what the cause is.  At least the Topomax is helping, but Alison is losing a lot of weight (one of the side effects).  I'm trying to get her to start drinking some weight lifter shakes for breakfast or something.  Something with a lot of calories in it, since her appetite is basically gone.  She admitted that while I was on tour, she barely ate dinner, since I wasn't here to goad her into eating it.

But all things considered, we're doing well.  I guess we just have to continue to wait and see what happens.  The neuro-opthamologist did say that the cause might be viral and such things sometimes attack very specific parts of the brain and cause wacky symptoms like these.  I asked if it eventually goes away and he said sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  Not very reassuring.

Anyway... just thought I'd give everyone an update.

I'm really sorry to hear of this. You have probably turned over every rock, etc. but have you considered going to a research hospital or something? Like Johns Hopkins? Is there someplace that specializes in the unknown? I hope this all works out for you.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update... I truly hope you and Alison can find out what the cause of this issue is, and that Alison recovers from this soon!

It sounds like Alison is one tough cookie, and with your help I'm sure you'll all get through this.

I'll send some positive vibes your way today!

Cheers,

Shane

I also thought things had at least eased up quite a bit. No such luck. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I myself have been battling for weeks now with something the doctors simply can't get a grip on (as it turns out, I'm basically resistant to any antibiotics they have thrown at me [or rather the stuff screwing me up is resistant against that]). I've had to take some really strong pills which have given me an inflamation in all joints (no idea what the medical term is in English), to boot, and at the moment the doctors (three separate experts in the field) are just hoping it will go away by itself (fat chance). Basically, they don't know what to do.

In comparison, it's only a nuisance, but I know what kind of frustration your wife and you are feeling.

All the best. I hope you will find the cause of the problems and a treatment soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as mucch as that is possible at the moment.