Three Sounds

Brad

From time to time I pester Michael about putting out a Mosaic, a Select, anything. I asked again yesterday and the response I got from Mosaic is that "I believe he will be putting out some Three Sounds on Blue Note. There is nothing on the boards for next year for a Three Sounds Select. FYI - He just got approval for an Andrew Hill Select for February."

Hopefully, something will come out and remind us of how good they were.

Well Brad, guess you should have posted these two bits of news separately as hardly anyone cares about the main thrust of the announcement.

I'm surprised at any plan to reissue Sounds albums on BN as I think you told me that Michael said the Sounds don't sell. So its certainly disappointing if there may be a single BN issue and no Mosaic of any sort. Hopefully if there will only be one, they'll reissue a really superlative album like Moods.

I've been enjoying a number of Three Sounds records lately - these are nice albums. I don't know why BN doesn't put out a 2-CD set that combines four or five albums (they're all pretty short). How does BN expect to cultivate a market for this group if they don't let new people hear it? I mean, really, what's *not* to like about the Three Sounds?

Mike

Is there any irony in that Andrew Hill now outsells The Three Sounds??

( Yes, I realize it's hardly a fair battle, since there aren't any Sounds CD's even to be bought now. )

I simply mention this because The Three Sounds had such good sales back in the day -- and now they hardly sell very much at all (so much so that they don't even get reissued).

No value judgement implied, simply stating the irony that Hill -- who's never sold all that well, back then or even now (relatively speaking) --having more sales potential than a group that were REALLY great sellers back in the day.

Anybody think it's somehow because the group was sold under a "name" ("The Three Sounds"), rather under the name of a particular leader?? That maybe jazz groups that recorded under a "name" somehow don't sell as well these days (over that last 15 or 20 years)?? Just an idea...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Anybody think it's somehow because the group was sold under a "name" ("The Three Sounds"), rather under the name of a particular leader?? That maybe jazz groups that recorded under a "name" somehow don't sell as well these days (over that last 15 or 20 years)?? Just an idea...

I think you may be on to something. I always felt that this may be a reason why they're not as popular today.

Anybody think it's somehow because the group was sold under a "name" ("The Three Sounds"), rather under the name of a particular leader??  That maybe jazz groups that recorded under a "name" somehow don't sell as well these days (over that last 15 or 20 years)??  Just an idea...

I think you may be on to something. I always felt that this may be a reason why they're not as popular today.

The interesting thing to consider is that through almost all of the CD era, Gene Harris was one of the best selling artist Concord Records had. Did none of the people buying his Concord albums know his history? Or did they not care about his past, they were happy to hear him in the present?

I had not heard a note of the Three Sounds until I bought Blue Hour a couple of months ago.

Nothing I would give my shirt for, but certainly enjoyable. If Alfred Lion saw something in them, that's all I need to know. Did Alfred ever sign anyone who just plain sucked?

I'll log off now before you all say 'Dodo Greene'!

Bertrand.