Transmission blew on my car

I have a 1995 Mercury Mistake, er, I mean Mystique with approx. 115,000 miles on it. The transmission locked on me and I have to get a new rebuilt one for it. Question is: should I spend the $1,500-2000 for the new transmission, or should I just go get a new car?

The body is in good shape and so is the engine. I talked to my garage guy (who isn't doing the transmission work) and he put his vote in to keep the old car. I lean strongly in that direction myself, especially since it has an after-market cd player in it, and I do a lot of my jazz listening in it.

How many miles can I reasonably expect to get out of this car? My tranny guy says he's got 300,000 on his Buick, which sounds outrageous to me. I am very good about scheduled oil changes and all that, though I neglected transmission oil and filter changes. Did that only once, I think. I have no other problems with the car.

Worth fixing or not? :unsure:

I have a 1995 Mercury Mistake, er, I mean Mystique with approx. 115,000 miles on it. The transmission locked on me and I have to get a new rebuilt one for it. Question is: should I spend the $1,500-2000 for the new transmission, or should I just go get a new car?

Here's what I would do.

Get rid of this one, either sell as is or donate to charity, figure out the tax donation, see how much cash you can come up with and how much you're willing to spend.

If the tranny will run $2000 rebuilt{!} that means you'll need extra work to fix what the mechanic will fuck up while installing it. Then something else'll go.

Here's a 95 Mystique that sold for $2200 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2417208548

Half of your mileage, btw.

A shot tranny at 115,000 miles is a lemon in my book.

Get yourself a Camry or an Accord and be happy.

I think it all depends if you can afford to get a new one. If you can, sell it. Over 100,000 more things are going to go wrong. This could be just the beginning. For a car that's already that old, putting in $2000 seems like a lot to me. BTW, what happened to you also happened to me a few years ago and I got rid of it.

If you can afford it, get a car with less miles on it. With the engine and body in reasonable condition I bet you could bargain a dealer for a good trade-in. And, you can always cannabalize the cd player/amp/speakers to save for your new car.

On the other hand, 115,000 miles isn't that much if you baby it, and if you really love the car...

I am very good about scheduled oil changes and all that, though I neglected transmission oil and filter changes. Did that only once, I think. I have no other problems with the car.

See, this was your mistake. My last car was a 1976 Toyota Carolla station wagon that hit 190,000 before croaking. The black sludge slowly drifting through the engine block was all that held it together. Oil change? What for; it's already got oil! ;)

Maybe it's for the best that I gave up driving...

My tranny went out (on the highway!!) in my 1999 Plymouth Voyager. I've had this car since May of last year and I had already put 22,000 miles on it and the tranny went. Luckily I bought an extended warranty and it blew with 2,000 miles left on that warranty.

It's been running great since they fixed it, but now I'm worried if something else is going to go. The car only has 68,000 miles on it. Then again, as of today (May 31st) it's been exactly one year since I bought it and I've put almost 28,000 miles on it.

Crazy.

Seems like many of you recommend biting the bullet and buying a new car. Do I have the money? No.

I figure it this way: if the new (or rebuilt) tranny costs $2,000 (which was the max. quote) and I get another year out of the vehicle, then I've won out. Obviously, if I were to get a new vehicle then I'm looking at monthly payments around the range of $400/month. I would have spent $2,000 then within 5 months. Also, I can't get any trade in value for a vehicle with a bad transmission.

In retrospect, I should have changed the transmission oil and filter more frequently like I did the engine oil, but I will from now on.

My goal: another 2-3 years out of the car. I drive around 20K per year.

One thing though: interest rates right now would favor any new financing on cars.

With that vintage of a Ford (or ANY American car, truthfully), I'd REALLY consider buying a lower milage (50K or less) used Honda or Toyota. American cars really don't last as long, and as time goes by, things besides the transmission will start to go - EXPENSIVE things (I used to have an 85 Tempo, so I know whereof I speak). Figure the annual repair bills vs. the annual monthly payments, multiply by the nuisance factor of the car being in the shop, and then divide by by the comfort/convinience factor of a newer, more comfortable vehicle. If the answer is 1 or higher, think long and hard.

I've already put money into the car: new brakes, several sets of tires; changed the wires and spark plugs. The engine gives me no problem.

It has been suggested to me from a Ford owner that I should change the timing belt as a precautionary action. I'll probably do that.

The key here is: can I get 6 months out of it after putting this kind of money? I believe the answer is "yes." If so, then I did the right thing.

Actually, the aggravation of looking for a new car is greater than the aggravation of sending mine in to the shop. Can't stand the thought of dealing with used car salesmen right now; especially on subjects that they know more about than me.

My next car will be a Toyota or Honda or something.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Also, I can't get any trade in value for a vehicle with a bad transmission. 

My goal: another 2-3 years out of the car.  I drive around 20K per year. 

This is really the key thing, I think. You'll basically get zilch for the car with a blown tranny. The dealer will take almost the full retail value of fixing the transmission off the car's book value (though, of course, it won't cost the dealer that much to fix it). Personally, I would get the new transmission and if the engine is still good and there are no major rusting problems, you should be able to get another 2-3 years and 60K out of it. Yes, there may be a few things you will have to spend money on in that time, but if you buy another used car, you'll likely have to spend it on that car, too. I'm speaking of brakes, tires, shocks, etc.

Most us us need cars, but they're an expensive money pit, new or used. No way around it. I have a '99 Ford Taurus and my goal is 250,000 km minimum (160,000 miles). I only has 40,000 miles on it so far, but I'm trying to maintain it well so I can achieve that goal.

It has been suggested to me from a Ford owner that I should change the timing belt as a precautionary action. I'll probably do that. .

Does a Mystique have a timing belt or a timing chain? I owned Ford vehicles ranging inModel year from 1985 through 1996 (Tempo, Taurus, and Contour), and they all had chains, which supposedly needs replacing rarely, if indeed ever.

It sounds as if the tranny is the most major breakdown you have had with the car up till now. With the amount of miles on the car many things could start to go wrong. Next thing to go could be the engine and then you would really be in a world of hurt.

Go with a newer Toyota or Honda. Saturns also have a pretty good record.

It has been suggested to me from a Ford owner that I should change the timing belt as a precautionary action.  I'll probably do that. .

Does a Mystique have a timing belt or a timing chain? I owned Ford vehicles ranging inModel year from 1985 through 1996 (Tempo, Taurus, and Contour), and they all had chains, which supposedly needs replacing rarely, if indeed ever.

Hmm, can't answer this. I simply don't know. Worth checking out. Thanks for the info.

IMHO, ditch it - and get a newer Honda.

My car is a 1992 Honda Accord Wagon (130,000 miles), and my wifes car is a 1993 Accord 2-door Coupe (135,000 miles).

I'm pretty sure we're gonna have to bite the bullet and trade one in within the next 3-4 years, but the other one I hope to get another 5-7 years out of. Neither one has ever had a major malfunction, ever!!! We've changed the timing belts in both of them, which is critically important. (If the belt breaks, the engine is shot - 100%!!)

Honda is totally the way to go. We may seriously get 20 years out of one of these cars. Maybe we could get that much out of both of them, but at some point you gotta get a new(er) car, so that you can drive on really long trips without as much worry about the vehicle breaking down. Ditch it, and get a recent (2-5 year old) Honda. That's what I'd do.

( My wife bought hers new, but I got mine when it was already 6 years old - and still haven't had any problems. )

I have no idea what the blue book value is right now, but it does not matter. Right now, with a fried tranny, that car is worthless. I'd get the transmission work done. Sounds like you've maintained it otherwise and if it's in decent condition you'll be ahead - as you've mentioned - in 6 or so months based on what your new car payment would be.

I'd then start looking to move down in mileage and age. You'll have time to find the right car at the right price. Plus, that car that was worthless now at least has some resale value. The Hondas I have had were all excellent cars. Right now I'm driving a 96 Chrysler minivan with 125,000 miles on it. Bought it a year ago after my 91 Honda Accord wagon with 136,000 miles on it got T-boned by some yo-yo pulling out of shopping plaza.

Good luck