The BEST piano trio album of the year

sal

I have no idea what this thread is about, maybe it's just a reading comprehension issue!

The CD is available on Danilo's website for $12.99.

$12.99.

What's the problem with that?

That's new.

It started at $35.

Then I think it went to $24.95.

Apparently the message has finally been received & the price for the CD only has been reduced to a reasonable level.

Should have been that way from the start.

They'll live & learn.

In general I like the Artists Share concept.

I usually save the $35 and more level for japanese imports/hard-to-find jazz recordings. However, if I know the musician is getting most or all of the profit, I might spring fo a CD by a musician such as Danilo every once in a while. I just purchased a Harold Mabern Japanese import for about $35. I wanted something recent of Mabern's and I know most of his recent recorded output is on the Japanese Venus label - verrrrrry expensive, but a lot of the musicians I love are on that label and I'll continue to buy when I have the extra $.

Marla

I'll remind you again that Cadence has the Venus CDs in jewel cases for $20 apiece, $19 if you're a subscriber.

I got an e-mail from them yesterday & bought Mabern (35337), Higgins (35342), Super Trio - Kenny Barron (35343) & the new Charlap (35344).

Shipping depends on how many you buy.

As you'd expect, the more you buy the less the shipping per CD.

I have no idea what this thread is about, maybe it's just a reading comprehension issue!

The CD is available on Danilo's website for $12.99.

$12.99.

What's the problem with that?

Thanks for pointing that out. I just "ponyed" up, can't wait to hear this one! $16.94 including shipping.

In light of all the comment about the price I felt obligated to attempt to possibly bring the thread back to a discussion of the music. I received the disc yesterday and gave it an initial listen while cleaning after getting the kids to bed. What I did hear when able to focus on the music was good and I am looking forward to a more attentive listen.

Anyone else actually purchase the disc and had a chance to hear the music?

• 1 month later...

When the original price was $35 I got a burn. Since the price dropped to $12.95, I ordered an official copy. Perez never replied to my email complaining about the $35 price. But it seems he got the message. Maybe he was experimenting, seeing what the market would bear. Given that he did (what I think is) the right thing, I thought it only right that I buy a legit copy.

When the original price was $35 I got a burn. Since the price dropped to $12.95, I ordered an official copy. Perez never replied to my email complaining about the $35 price. But it seems he got the message. Maybe he was experimenting, seeing what the market would bear. Given that he did (what I think is) the right thing, I thought it only right that I buy a legit copy.

I doubt you'll be disappointed. My favorite purchase of 2005 so far.

You know, there is so much wrong with the attitudes expressed in this thread, I have no idea where to even start.

Y'all wonder why jazz is disappearing from the marketplace and society in general and then there's this thread.  Amazing.

Care to elaborate? I'm slow that way, sometimes I need things spelled out? B-)

I prefer to be part of the solution not the problem when it comes to supporting jazz. Just curious to know exactly where your coming from.

So many thoughts...

Firstly, $35 does seem like a little much for a CD. But I'm glad marla came by and said how she sometimes spends that much on imports. I've seen it here and back on the old BNBB (moreso back there)... some BN or other 40+ year recording is not available here in the states and is only available as a Japanese import. The prices for which are usually in the $30. Nobody bats an eye at that.

Think of it this way: I think everyone here would be in agreement if I said that jazz is an artform. Everyone would also probably agree that 99.9% of every CD released in the US is crap (I'm, of course, including ALL genres... pop/rock, etc.) How much do those CDs cost? Well, if it's the new J-Lo or Hillary Duff release, expect to pay upwards of $18 when it first comes out. Standard fair for stuff that's been out awhile is $12-$15. So if jazz is so much better than the latest P Diddy or whatever, why should they be the same price? Isn't quality worth more?

A BMW cost more than a Chevy, right? Why is that?

Or think of it this way: What kind of art (I'm talking visual art) could you buy for $35? Most posters of famous paintings cost at least $20. Try getting a real, hand painted oil painting for $35. I bet you can do it... and I bet it won't be very good.

Or think of it this way: Dan Morgenstern's book that recently came out is still hardcover only. That book got a lot of praise from a lot of people here. The list price is $35.

I just think it's funny that in the first post we have someone saying that this is a fantastic album, that Danilo is expanding the very tradition of the piano trio format, etc. etc. etc. and yet $35 to experience that is too much.

I also think it's ridiculous that Peter would admit that he got a burn when the price was still $35. Now that the price is $13, well I'll buy it. Hey Peter, did you listen to the disc, determine how much it was worth, and then cut Danilo a check? "Here ya go, Danilo. I thought this hour+ long disc was only worth $10. Sorry."

I'm not angry at anyone... and Peter, I'm not trying to call you out. I just think it's a sad commentary. I mean, I hear people complaining all the time about the state of jazz and then we don't support the artists that are out there actually making a difference. We'll spend $30 on some 40+ year old re-issue but when it comes to spending the same amount on a new release by someone who is keeping jazz alive, no thanks. That's too much money.

You know, Joe Gloss bought a copy of Maria Schneider's disc and played it for me. I could've easily made a burn of it, but I didn't. I bought my own copy for $23. Why? Because I want to support my fellow musicians who are putting their ass on the line to bring beautiful music to the people, without all the hype, image, and marketing bullshit of the mainstream music industry.

$35 really doesn't seem like that much to me. It would just mean I would have to buy less CDs. But is it about quantity or quality?

I bought the Schneider, and with shipping etc. it came to about $22. Not a problem--the music is worth it and I'm happy to support her, glad she's getting a much bigger cut. And if Organissimo charges $19.95 a pop for the second album, I'll gladly pay that as well.

Never spent $35 on a single CD in my life, though, and doubt I ever will. In any genre. That's just pricing yourself out of the market. I think it's important to back up your passion with your bucks, which is why I often buy things that I could get for free as a DJ; just today I bought a book, SATCHMO BLOWS UP THE WORLD, that I'm sure I could've scored off Harvard Press b/c I'm doing a show tied into it, but I want to support the market for cultural-studies books about jazz. If I spend $35 on Danilo's CD when, more realistically, I should be paying $20 at most, that's $15 less I have to spend on other jazz artists, other jazz writers... I just can't justify it.

If I spend $35 on Danilo's CD when, more realistically, I should be paying $20 at most, that's $15 less I have to spend on other jazz artists, other jazz writers... I just can't justify it.

Excellent point, this. Jim --- with *nothing* but respect, I think that most of us who have been objecting to the price of the disc had this (at least) in the back of our minds, as well as one other thing. We're really not comparing Chevy's to BMW's.

Does Danilo really think that his work is so superior to Maria's that he can charge *so much* more? I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt in conflict situations, but the original price almost feels like arrogance. And the fact that the price has come down indicates that Danilo and his management have come to understand our position. So...........maybe we're not all out to lunch?

I think it's important to back up your passion with your bucks, which is why I often buy things that I could get for free as a DJ

Extremely admirable ---- just had to comment on this. Although I've been on a strict moratorium on my CD purchases, I had to buy Danilo's new one on principle. ^_^ And I sent artistShare an e-mail thanking them for putting the disc within by budget. Can't help but wonder how many people spent $35 for their copy.

Jim,

Thanks for explaining. It all makes perfect sense. I couldn't tell you the number of times in the past that I held off buying an album because of the price only to find out after finally relenting that the album was very good and I wished I had bought it sooner ....live and learn.

I have made a concerted effort this year to support new artists and buy new releases much more than I have in the past. I'm always looking for the absolute best prices on the select reissues that I want so I can spend more money on new releases which tend to cost more. I agree that paying a bit of a premium for new jazz releases (especially those of the caliber of Danilo Perez' latest) is more than reasonable. I happened to benefit this time from procrastination; however $18-25 seems reasonable for low volume high quality releases.

P.S. Looking forward to the new Organissimo album.