Favorite Trombonist

cannonball-addict

Who is your favorite living trombonist over 50?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well... of course you're right Clem, but then why be so harsh about it!

The two Bauers (whom I both saw last Friday with the great group "Doppelmoppel") certainly belong in any such list (which had to be endless if it would be fair). Albert Mangelsdorff is another exceptional german bone player.

Then there's some nice Italian guys as well, mainly Giancarlo Schiaffini and Sebi Tramontana come to mind. There are other, more mainstream oriented players, too, such as Gianluca Petrella (who can be heard with Enrico Rava's "Easy Living" band).

Thinking of swiss trombone players, the first who comes to mind is Christophe Schweizer. He has live in NYC for some time (but is back in Switzerland now, as I understand), and led several of his own bands, one of them with Billy Hart on drums.

Nils Wogram is yet another incredible German trombone player, who settled in Zurich. He can be heard, for instance, with Swiss drummer Lucas Niggli's group (several CDs on Intakt).

ubu

Clem I completely get your point. I am not sure if it really does look that different over here. I think that our distance to many of these issues is too big for us to really be able to judge it.

However, if we are interested in local/national/general european jazz/music/call-it-what-you-want, I suppose we automatically have a wide open focus of things, of musicians, of styles, we take in account. Of course there are the local hardbop-only freaks here, too, those who didn't notice that Brötzlmeister and his compagnons ARE the mainstream today...

What I try to say is that - let's stay with trombone players - if you're following the careers of people such as Mangelsdorff, the Bauers, Rutherford, Schiaffini, or Wogram (who are very diverse players), you almost necessarily have to stay open-minded and -eared, and that then is part of our way of looking at US jazz/music as well (of course we all look at the US, there's no denying that - that's where the music we love comes from).

ubu

By the way: people over here often tend to dislike intellectualism in European jazz, as well. A case in point: a fantastic Tomasz Stanko quartet concert I heard somewhen last year (or was it this spring), the audience was really startled, a fantastic band that does not "swing" or play "the blues" in the US/hardbop/traditional way, but have their own conception of time, of melody, of mood (and believe me, in a live setting they don't sound ECMish, not the least bit). Yet the next day all the newspaper chaps knew to write about was how cold and intellectual their music was... I reckoned if they heard a different concert, or if they were biased knowing the CD, or just simply too lazy to listen and/or give a damn.

I should have taken more time to create these. I did it kind of haphazardly. I am rather shocked that I missed George Lewis - I just read a feature article about him in Jazz Eduation Journal, but I admit he is someone I don't have any rekkids by. I know he is known for a theoretical book, right? Along the lines of the Slonimsky? But otherwise I plead "ig'nance."

Sorry clem. I'm only 21. Gimme some years - I'll grow.

Yep. And it's a lot more than "along the lines of Slominsky".

Not busting your chops, just letting you know.

And along those same lines, you should be aware of Ray Anderson in this category as well. A wildly inconsistent player taste-wise, but he's amazing as often as he is silly.

i dig Julian too ya' know but i LIVE with Bird, Dolphy & Ornette. i hope you do too.

I've done research on Cannon. I created the account following a long period of listening to him and totally digging him. If I changed my name it would be something trite like Colonel Jazz.

Re: Bird. I feel like I've heard all the (classic) solos and I want more. I don't have the bootleg tapes so I need to hear those solos too. I mean, I can listen to Bird day-in day-out and feel totally inadequate and amazed, which is hopefully the effect his playing has on all of us, as musicians and humans for that matter. How could a man be so great? How could someone create something so wholly original? While on drugs!?!?

I do dig Dolphy and as a saxophonist myself, I totally dig where he was coming from. I've heard him play "inside," and the cat could play both ways equally well. Is it fair to say he was the original "out" alto cat? Besides Ornette? Would people say that Dolphy was a follower of Ornette's ideas or did he have his own philosophical approach?

I love the album that Lonely Woman is on. And the one that Peace is on. I forget cuz I downloaded these in the days of free Audiogalaxy and much of it is mislabeled and out of order.

I also listen to a lot of Johnny Hodges. I have all his rekkids as a leader. My favorite is "Everybody Knows." His sound and articulation were one-of-a-kind.

I am trying to get into Jackie McLean now but often I find him to be awfully repetitive - kind of like Dexter Gordon. Entirely lick-oriented - mostly simplistic licks. I much prefer more original guys like Bird, Cannon, Ornette, Joe Henderson, Wayne, etc. When I hear him playing, I hear a guy channeling Bird, and that's cool but I feel that he often sounds too much like Bird in some ways and too much like Dexter in others and not enough himself. You understand? I dig his political activism though through his more free compositions and the names of his albums.

there is so much to be said.....about saxophonists......

There are so many greats I really can't name a favorite. But I voted for Kuumba Frank Lacy because he's so criminally under-recognized. A really fiery player, and he did some interesting but totally obscure leader work for the Tutu label a while back (which I think is a sub-label of Enja). TONAL WEIGHTS AND BLUE FIRE, despite the title, is not so much out or free but just remarkably good music, closest to freeish bop but that doesn't even begin to capture the range of emotions and styles that Lacy encompasses here. The great Michael Carvin is along on drums, too. You can get this one at Cadence.

I just noticed that there was an over/under 50 poll - assuming Kuumba really is under 50, move these comments mentally to the under 50 thread.

Edited by DrJ

PLEASE - I don't want to sound harsh but these polls started by a youngster without a ton of experience involve some of us and insult some of us. I think all should think a long time before starting a thread of this type.

Personally I was bummed George wasn't on the list and where is Gunter Christmann?

Mister Addict has his heart in the right place, just not enough listening.

soft hearted chuck