Favorite Baritone Saxophonist

cannonball-addict

Who is your favorite deceased bari player?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for Nick Brignola ,

and I recommand 2 LP with HOT baritonist

"Burn Brigade " , a great baritone chase with Cecyl Payne , Nick Brignola and Ronnie Cuber

and

Baritone Madness , with Pepper Adams and Nick Brignola ( with an Outstanding Donna Lee version

385b.gif

249b.gif)

Charlie Fowlkes hardly soloed with Basie, though he can be heard on at least one of the jams in the Buck Clayton Mosaic.

brandt2.jpg

Helmut Brandt (Berlin 1931 - Stuttgart 2001)

Willi Sanner (who can be heard on Hans Koller's fine CD "Koller Plays Kova" [rec. mid Fifties]) was another fine German (or Austrian? I guess Austrian) baritone player.

Then there was Lars Gullin, of course!

For me, it's very hard to choose a favourite. Mulligan is terrific, so is Bob Gordon, so is Chaloff, so is Carney... so is Pepper Adams, and so are several living guys. Maybe I'd choose Carney, if I was forced to choose.

ubu

Cecil Payne is dead?

I voted for Sahib Shihab. Any guy that plays baritone, alto, and flute (three instruments I own) is alright by me. Second choice was Brignola. I've got enough Pepper and Mulligan CDs to fill a briefcase and was listening to Encounter! when I ran across this thread.