Favorite Baritone Saxophonist

cannonball-addict

Who is your favorite deceased bari player?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously now, Mulligan, Pepper and Chaloff are all worthy of the top spot, but how can any such list NOT include Lars Gullin? I wonder if that is because many posting here have not listened to much of his music? The other missing giant is Bob Gordon, the "James Dean" of baritonists because he died so young. Gordon was certainly on a par with Mulligan in the mid-fifties.

Garth.

Cannonball, it seems you have started every possible "your favorite" thread there is. :o

In one day!?. :wacko:

Leave something for the future. You have nothing left to ask.

Maybe: who is your favorite poster?.. :blink:

Yeah. These seem to have gotten me into a bit of trouble huh? Too hasty in my selections. I mainly did it as a diversion from thinking about my research on "the troubled legacy of desegregation"

<_<

Cannonball, it seems you have started every possible "your favorite" thread there is. :o

In one day!?. :wacko:

Leave something for the future. You have nothing left to ask.

Maybe: who is your favorite poster?.. :blink:

Agreed. This is getting weird, IMO. Let's discuss other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently received a copy of Burn Brigade on Beehive (Nick Brignola, Cecil Payne and Ronnie Cuber on bs, Walter Davis p, Walter Booker b and Jimmy Cobb ds) and this is one of the most exciting flat out kick ass recordings I have ever heard. Our Delight is clearly one of the most exciting renditions I have ever heard. I can't believe this lp not to mention the other Beehives haven't been released on cd.

I would love to be able to get the rights to this lp and reissue it, if I knew how. I can't believe this wouldn't sell. It's just that fantastic.

Brad, if you liked that one (an excellent album indeed), you should try to get hold of this one:

http://www.dreyfusrecords.com/cgi-local/So...5+d=58&a=25&l=0

The three baritone lineup is Ronnie Cuber, Nick Brignola and Gary Smulyan with Andy McKee on bass and John Farnsworth on drums. A 1997 session. Not really as good as the Beehive but a very interesting album nonetheless!

Brad, if you liked that one (an excellent album indeed), you should try to get hold of this one:

http://www.dreyfusrecords.com/cgi-local/So...5+d=58&a=25&l=0

The three baritone lineup is Ronnie Cuber, Nick Brignola and Gary Smulyan with Andy McKee on bass and John Farnsworth on drums. A 1997 session. Not really as good as the Beehive but a very interesting album nonetheless!

We seldom disagree, but on this occasion we do. I think that the Mulligan album is better, mostly because it seems more "coherent" to me, and swings just as hard as the Beehive album. But both albums are neglected gems ....