Any RVG Suggestions for 2005?

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second the Monterose and Clarke-Boland up's... Monterose needs more exposure, even though that's not his best date. "Golden Eight" is really nice.

no kidding, that 'golden eight' record is *very* tasty. i'm not necessarily known to enjoy ever big band record i hear, but that one is a swinging exception. i love it! the other 3 available on MPS ('all smiles', 'more smiles', and 'fellini 712') at the moment are pretty decent, too!

regards,

-e-

Yeah, I never thought I would've been into a Clarke-Boland record, but that one is really tight. Some of those MPS dates look good, too, but the fact that the BN is a smaller band makes it more attractive to my sensibilities.

:tup

I'd like the Clarke-Boland date also.

As someone who purchased the conns from the beginning and collector choice titles, I'd like to see something that hasn't been out for a long long time.

Give me some Leo Parker, or Dizzy Reece's Starbright, some Three Sounds, Ike Quebec's 45 session, Jutta Hipp.... Please please please!!! :g

I ask for just one RVG like this, the rest can be the money makers.

I'd like the Clarke-Boland date also.

As someone who purchased the conns from the beginning and collector choice titles, I'd like to see something that hasn't been out for a long long time.

Give me some Leo Parker, or Dizzy Reece's Starbright, some Three Sounds, Ike Quebec's 45 session, Jutta Hipp.... Please please please!!!  :g

I ask for just one RVG like this, the rest can be the money makers.

AfricaBrass, I whole-heartedly agree!

I do have to say though, your current avatar is the most disturbing use of Cat-Shatner yet :P I love it!! :lol:

(preserving history: cat-shatner rudolph)

Edited by mgraham333

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from a loooong vacation to add my 2 cents. I haven't bought a Blue Note in about 2 years because they keep reissuing titles I've owned for years. How about Art Hodes? Most of his material has never been out on domestic CD. Even Bechet, although I have it all I would re-buy some kind of quality RVG reissue. How about Lou Mecca? That has NEVER been re-issued in the US. The Ike Quebec small group sessions from the 40's? More gold that should be available. And George Lewis!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

How about the John Coltrane title "Like Sonny"? It has a Roulette imprint, but EMI owns the masters. Consists of two studio dates, one from 9/8/60 and the other from 11/58. The 1990 CD I have says the 9/8/60 date is "remixed from the original three-track tapes." Rudy might be able to do something nice with the sound, and the RVG imprint might make the music more widely known.