Ray Charles DVD 1963 Live in Brazil

Soul Stream

3) Anyone who has this, please listen closely to the first take of "Moanin'" and confirm for me that in his solo, Ray quotes directly and at length from "Work Song". Right from the start of his solo, I was certain that was what I was hearing, so I found a version of Work Song to play for my wife, and she applauded my ears ... but just to be sure, I'd like to hear someone from the board confirm ...

I think he quoes "Worksong" in both versions of Moanin'.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That IS fuckin' Tina Brooks!!!!!!!! Holy Shit. (Sorry, but sometime curse words are the only way I can adequately describe something this mind blowing.)

Anyway, never saw that the insert had a personel listing on the BACK of it. Went to Birth Of A Band as suggested and realized it was him right away, even before I realized he WAS listed. Well, there's no mistaking that's him. And Man!!!!, to see one of your idols for the first time in a moving pictures....wow.

O.k...I initially told everyone to "walk don't run"...now with Tina, you "should run over your grandma to get this!

..PS...Not to mention the other great musicians here....Wilbert Hogan on Drums (Fred Jackson's "Hootin' And Tootin" among other great sessions.) Also, Julian Priester on Trombone and Leroy Cooper on Bari...just to mention a few....WOW!

Edited by Soul Stream

Yeah, I'm hearing through the local grapevine that Tina Brooks is on here. Haven't had that definitively confirmed, however.

Just opened this up, and its there in black and white: Tina Brooks - tenor

Not sure why people were talking about trying to identify the members of the band, and whether its Tina or not.

It was a case of people who hadn't yet gotten the DVD relaying information from those who had.

Sometimes accidents happen, and misinformation gets passed along as fact. Glad that that is not the case here.

Oh yeah....Dan, that is Work Song in case you weren't sure.  Nice how he worked that in. 

Frankly, I thought it was more than "working it in"-it was the whole damn solo!

Isn't that theft?? He didn't quote a snippet of melody, he just lifted it verbatim.

Yes, he did play the whole head. Work song was so big back then I don't think hardly a blues-based solo went by without someone quoting it! But, yeah, the whole thing on top of Moanin'...guess Ray REALLY dug Work Song... ;)

I remember from the Mosaic booklet that Tina was with Ray Charles for a while, but I thought it was much earlier, and certainly not in Brazil in 1963.

I had NO idea there was any footage of Tina Brooks out there. I'm not a huge Ray Charles fan, but I will HAVE to get this. Holy crap.

Bertrand.

OK, so I'm late to the party on this, but I got it today. It's as good as everyone has said.

Who's the fourth trumpeter? Credits only list Beener, Burrows, Guilbeau.

Mike

I was wondering the same thing myself. Which trumpeter is it that takes the muted solos on Moanin'?

Also, does anyone know whatever happened to the guitar player? His tone seems very much out of the T-Bone Walker school, but it looked like he had some nice jazz chops, too.

Also, the Brazilian commercials are a trip. One of them is for export quality wool textiles--not finished clothes, just the fabric and how it was everyone's choice for exporting. Made me wonder if most of the Brazilians who owned TVs in 1963 were rich businessmen who dealt with such things.

Edited by Big Wheel

Also, the Brazilian commercials are a trip. One of them is for export quality wool textiles--not finished clothes, just the fabric and how it was everyone's choice for exporting. Made me wonder if most of the Brazilians who owned TVs in 1963 were rich businessmen who dealt with such things.

My thoughts exactly. Just who the hell WERE those commercials aimed at? Seems like they were giving away cars to boot!

And the commercial for the Polygram LP at the end is just TOO sweet. That "hi-fi" has "Record Eater" written all over it...

One other humorous note - anybody catch how on the opening credits of the first show it's "The Realettes"?

Not that I'd argue - Margie Hendrix seems plenty real to me!

Edited by JSngry

• 5 months later...

I'm bringing this back up to ask a question re: Tina Brooks with Ray Charles. I just received a private recording of Ray Charles from 1966. The info I have is:

Ray Charles

Palais des Sport

Paris, France

10-22-66

Is there any chance that Tina was still with Ray at this point?

I played this for a couple of friends about a month ago, one of them a badass guitar player with really eclectic tastes. They were both impressed but sorta lost interest after a few tunes..."yeah, it's Ray Charles, of course the band is tight and the playing really soulful..."

I showed them the tenor battle on "Birth of a Band," then we started chatting over the video and not paying close attention. You should have seen them both suddenly transfixed and gaping once Ray started soloing on alto...

I'm bringing this back up to ask a question re:  Tina Brooks with Ray Charles.  I just received a private recording of Ray Charles from 1966.  The info I have is:

Ray Charles

Palais des Sport

Paris, France

10-22-66

Is there any chance that Tina was still with Ray at this point?

Not a chance! The Brazilian gig with Ray Charles was just a one time occasion. It seems that this was the only time he traveled out of the USA! He played mostly in the New York/Bronx area in the sixties according to Michael Cuscuna's liner notes in the Mosaic set...

That IS fuckin' Tina Brooks!!!!!!!! Holy Shit. (Sorry, but sometime curse words are the only way I can adequately describe something this mind blowing.)

BUT ARE YOU REALLY SURE THIS IS TINA? I was under the impression that it might be TEXAS TENOR DON WILKERSON who was in the band for a while, no? Doesn't really SOUND like Tina to me. Oh well.

ANYWAY - it is a delightful dvd - more big band jazz and blues than anything else...a real gem. And those fabric commercials from Brazil ARE FREAKY!

This DVD IS a MUST! :tup

• 2 months later...