Verve OOP titles available as downloads

Aftab

Clearly, they just tossed the downloads on there without any thought to quality control.  I've no problem buying individual tracks, but if this is what downloaded CDs are like, I'm not getting any more.

Any idea who or how these cuts were remastered? Are they just straight "rips" from the CD reissues / issues?

And another thing... Rhino / Scorpio just released Mo' Rock on an LP reissue so I guess it's not technically out of print.

Edit: The Dusty Bastards list both the LP reissue and a Japanese CD reissue.

Edited by spinlps

I was just looking the Verve downloads and they've got some albums like the Charlie Barnet Harlem album which was quite available until recently. I was hoping they'd put out some real unavailable items. There's also Listen to Art Farmer, which is at least available on the Mosaic. There's not a lot of nuggets there from the vault.

There's not a lot of nuggets there from the vault.

This one looks like a nugget ...

088011be-2362-4c00-90ec-e9255345f6a6.jpg

Was it ever available as tangible product?

yes. shiny and black, biggish, with orange circle pasted onto it, and with a hole in the centre.

very nice quartet album with some "out" playing.

Yusef Lateef's Impulse! output needs a Mosaic box.

The way I see the download album Verve situation: we're unlikely to see these sessions AS cds, so I'm glad they found a way to make them available. I don't have a lot of time either, but I make time for things like this if I want the material. . . . I'll probably be working on these when I have the right equipment next year. And personally I like making covers etc, it's a fun creative diversion. For instance I made several hundred sets of artwork last year for over 100 Hendrix titles that I received without art and almost more than that even cdrs of live broadcast material. I developed a sort of house style for both projects and had fun!

Yes, I don't begrudge them for doing it, for reasons you indicate, but would just prefer the "lazy man's" way - Verve Elites! ;)

Man, I dig 1984 - and all the Impulse! Lateefs...they do cry out for a Mosaic, but I've never gotten a nibble from them on this when I've e-mailed the suggestion. I would say they are all essential, I like his Savoys in a different way but these just seem so masterful and as Lon indicates infused with a healthy dose of humor a la the best of Roland Kirk's stuff from around the same era.

For the Russell, however, I don't see a solution, because I think the six tracks were created with the abrupt halt between 'Chromatic Universe I' and 'Dimensions' (there is a second or two of 'Universe' at the beginning of 'Dimensions'). I burned it to a CD, and the break is still there. The only thing I can think of is to import the tracks from the CD I made, using the join while importing, then make a new CD. But I would have to risk wasting a second blank disk, plus I don't really want to risk over-writing the tracks I actually bought.

If you burned the disc through iTunes (the only way I think you *can* burn it), there is an option to remove the 2 second gap between tracks. It took me a while, but I figured it out. I believe it's in under "preferences" or such like. I was able to burn an uninterrupted copy of Brad Mehldau's "Live In Tokyo."

Was it ever available as tangible product?

Yes. shiny and black, biggish, with orange circle pasted onto it, and with a hole in the centre.

What on earth are you talking about? "Shiny and black"? "Orange circle"? Some kind of cookie? No, wait — pizza? Could you eat it? Why would you eat music?

You've got me stumped.

Still would like to eat ... hear it though.

JSngry  Posted on Dec 20 2004, 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Late @ Dec 20 2004, 02:02 PM)

Why would you eat music?

To shit eighth notes?

Thank you for that lovely picture, Jim, really...next time I read some reviewer gushing about a player "eating up the changes," I won't be able to get that image of the "downstream" effect out of my head! :blink::P

• 3 months later...