Jerry Orbach dies.

Craig23

Jerry Orbach dead at 69.

From CNN:

Jerry Orbach dead at 69

Actor best known for 'Law & Order'

NEW YORK (AP) -- "Law & Order" star Jerry Orbach has died of prostate cancer at 69, a representative of the show said Wednesday.

Orbach died Tuesday night in Manhattan after several weeks of treatment, Audrey Davis of the public relations agency Lippin Group said.

When his illness was diagnosed, he had begun production on NBC's upcoming spinoff "Law & Order: Trial By Jury," after 12 seasons playing Detective Lennie Briscoe in the original series. His return to the new show had been expected early next year.

On Broadway, the Bronx-born Orbach starred in hit musicals including "Carnival," "Promises, Promises" (for which he won a Tony Award), "Chicago" and "42nd Street."

Among his film appearances were roles in "Dirty Dancing," "Prince of the City" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors."

There are some actors, performers, that one perhaps inexplicably, feels an attachment to. In my case, Jerry Orbach was definitely one of them. From what one could gather from interviews both in print and on TV, he seemed to be a real mensch. In all the films and stage appearances that I was fortunate to see him, he had a real presence. I'll miss seeing him.

Edited by MartyJazz

I hope Jerry is sitting in a corner somewhere in heaven. Then again, nobody puts Jerry in a corner.

RIP Jerry Orbach. Watching your show helped me pass Crim Law.

From MSNBC

In late May,Lennie Briscoe collared his final criminal on NBC’s “Law & Order.” After 12 years of playing the quip-spewing, world-weary detective, Jerry Orbach hung up his badge and gun, opening a time of mourning for crime-show addicts.

Though Briscoe wasn’t original to the series — he followed both George Dzundza as Max Greeley and Paul Sorvino as Phil Ceratta — he came to define the quintessential television detective. He didn’t feel the need to dominate every scene; he just slyly stole them, with the perfect quip and perpetually raised eyebrows. His quips are one of the most enjoyable parts of the show. In one episode, when commenting on a decapitated victim, Briscoe chimed in with, “Hope his parents weren't getting him any hats for Christmas.” Then there was this exchange between Briscoe and Detective Ed Green (Jesse L. Martin):

Green: “Did anyone find any type of weapon in Peter Rubin’s home?”

Briscoe: “Not unless you count the world’s most boring record collection.”

Not a cop, but he plays one on TV

It's very easy to imagine Lennie Briscoe on the job. Much like the guys who used to populate “Barney Miller," he actually seems like a cop. Orbach played Briscoe with the wryness of someone who’s seen it all — he’s been on the job about a decade too long, and yet it still remains the center of his life.

His quips reflect someone who’s lost patience with people who play games and with those who just can’t seem to keep up with him. When a limo driver asked him if the model he was looking for was beautiful, Briscoe snapped back, “Right. Not one of those ugly models.” Anyone who deals with someone who seems remotely not to get it in their own workplace will find themselves grinning over Lennie’s latest snappy comeback.

And it’s not just laypeople who adore Briscoe. Even real cops seem to love his character. Orbach told the Philadelphia Inquirer that police officers in New York treat him well, sometimes even offering him a ride in their squad cars if it’s raining. Orbach has also been decreed a Living Landmark (along with Sam Waterston) by the New York Landmark Conservancy.

Getting to know you

“Law & Order” isn’t the kind of show where you learn a lot about the characters’ personal lives — but when you do, it’s through a casual conversation and not through soap opera. When a viewer gets a tip about Briscoe, it feels as earth-shattering as the time when you learned your high-school science teacher had a life outside of the classroom. I love those little tidbits because they give me a chance to play detective.

When a viewer gets a tip about Briscoe, it feels as earth-shattering as the time when you learned your high-school science teacher had a life outside of the classroom.

What we learned about Lennie wasn’t much. Divorced twice, he was more than a little bitter about ex-wives and divorce lawyers. His comments tended to be along these lines: “My second wife always wanted a walk-in closet. Now I finally got one. Trouble is, I live in it” or “Crazy don’t mean stupid — my ex-wife’s living proof.” There’s also this classic exchange between Rey Curtis (Benjamin Bratt) and Briscoe on the topic of prostitution:

Rey: “You ever pay for it, Lennie?”

Lennie: “I was married, wasn't I?”

We also learned about Briscoe’s two daughters, Julia (who never actually made an appearance on the show) and Cathy, who was murdered after testifying against her drug dealer ex-boyfriend.

From crossover episodes with “Homicide: Life on the Street,” we learned that Briscoe had once slept with one of John Munch’s (played by Richard Belzer) ex-wives, which infuriated Munch to no end. Beyond that, we didn’t hear too much about Briscoe’s love life. He once quipped that the last time he “got lucky” was 1986.

Lennie was also a recovering alcoholic. In one episode he commented, “After I traded in the Chivas bottle for the Grecian Formula, I became a saint.” He went off the wagon in the classic didn’t-follow-the-formula episode, “Aftershock,” where cast members reacted to the execution of one of the criminals. The episode ended with Claire Kincaid (Jill Hennessy) losing her life in a car accident. An intoxicated Briscoe was a passenger in her car.

Irreplaceable

The “Law & Order” shows have a well-worn revolving door for cast members. Can anyone out there name all the assistant district attorneys, both male and female? How about naming Munch’s original SVU partner (he was one of the many actors to migrate from “Oz” to “L&O” and I don’t mean Chris Meloni)? There are those fans who think there’s no ADA like Claire Kincaid or that Sam Waterston’s Jack McCoy doesn’t hold a candle to Michael Moriarty’s Ben Stone. There are even those who were never able to move beyond Chris Noth’s Mike Logan as Briscoe’s partner.

Up until now, I’ve always enjoyed all the changes that Dick Wolf threw at us. I liked the reality of seeing someone adjust to a new boss or partner. Logan was even more gruff than Briscoe; conversely, Curtis seemed like a boy scout next to him. When he was partnered up with Curtis, Briscoe quipped, “I got ties older than him. Few pairs of shoes, too.” And his most recent partner, Ed Green, may have been Briscoe’s best.

But the idea of replacing Lennie Briscoe is a bit too much for this “Law & Order” fan. Dennis Farina of “Crime Story” fame replaced Orbach. My own suggestions would have been Robert Forester (“Jackie Brown”) or yet another paroled “Oz” actor, like Kirk Avecedo or Terry Kinney. But let’s face it, there’s really no replacing Orbach.

After all, not that many actors can deliver a deadpan line like, “New Hampshire. I spent a year there one weekend.”

Briscoe was always the anchor of “Law & Order.” He kept the show grounded in the reality that we imagine real cops go through. Despite his gallows humor, when you watch “Law & Order,” you can't help but notice that Lennie always gives the friends and families of the victims a reassuring pat on the shoulder. He also does this with his partners when the cases get tough.

Maybe above all else, this is what truly endeared this television detective to the fans. Dick Wolf may find an actor who can spout off cynical lines with the best of them, but it will be tough to find an actor who can imbue his character with the humanity of Orbach.

There are some actors, performers, that one perhaps inexplicably, feels an attachment to. In my case, Jerry Orbach was definitely one of them. From what one could gather from interviews both in print and on TV, he seemed to be a real mensch. In all the films and stage appearances that I was fortunate to see him, he had a real presence. I'll miss seeing him.

That's always the way I felt about him, too. Guess he first came to my attention when I was a pre-teen in small-town Wisconsin and saw "The Fantasticks" on TV -- then listened to the original cast album over and over. Then I noticed he was one of the Sharks or Jets in the original "West Side Story" too. Later there was Crimes and Misdemeanors, among so many other things.

Living in New York, I see a lot of "famous people" (something my family always asks me about!) -- encountering Jerry Ohrbach was one of the sweetest:

I was leaving work one May evening, walking my usual route along 17th Street to First Avenue when -- halfway down the block from my job -- I see a smiling gentleman sitting on a stoop, surrounded by 5 star-struck junior-high girls. Jerry Ohrbach was signing autographs for them -- his attitude was so kind and courtly, with this twinkle in his eye that seemed delighted WITH them about their excitement in meeting a "celebrity" while at the same time expressing a little bit of "who, ME?" He also seemed so father-ly, gently resurrecting their "little girl" sides by saying "Did you see the Disney movie, Beauty and the Beast? Do you remember the talking candle? Yeah, that was me!" and sketching the candle with his autograph. I stood to the side, taking it all in, and when the girls left it was my turn to gush about "Fantasticks, West Side Story, Crimes and Misdemeanors..." He was so sweet -- asked if I'd seen "The Fantasticks" live back in the day -- just very real, like he really loved his work and the people who appreciated it. Very cute, too -- seemed smaller and more delicate in person than on either screen -- just a beautiful guy, physically and -- well, the word "spiritually" seems too pretentious for him -- but with a beautiful social spirit. Charming, that's it. The kind of lovely New Yorker who crops up as a Con Ed repairman, your kid's orthodontist, your friend's tax lawyer, a fireman or policeman (yes, they do exist, the lovely ones, along with the other kind), or a Broadway hoofer...

RIP, Jerry Ohrbach. :wub:

I just learned, over the weekend, that Jerry Orbach was a friend and neighbor of my cousin Cheryl (an actress herself). Very sad to hear of his passing. That would be the second family connection I have to L&O. My cousin Sadie went to high school with Jesse L. Martin (Detective Greene on the show).

Here is the first time I've heard about this :( It turns my stomach cuz I've been a relentless L&O viewer the past year and Briscoe is one of the main reasons I tune in to the original.

Damn! I remember reading an article in the Star a couple weeks ago about his ailment but he was expected to pull through it.

Oh well...RIP.... I'll still tune into the reruns on TNT. I'd like to see Benjamin Bratt come back and work with Jesse L. Martin rather than the dude they have on now, though apparently scuttlebutt has it that he may take Vincent D'Onofrio's place on CI cuz of some dirt between he and the producers.

At least SVU is going strong, IMO. This season has been a dooozy!

Peace and Happy Holidays!

Edited by Templejazz

Sometime during the Benjamin Bratt years of L&O, maybe around '96, I read Jerry Orbach's obituary in the Atlanta Journal & Constitution! It was devoted almost entirely to The Fantastiks. No mention of Law & Order.

I thought to myself, Isn't that the guy in Law & Order? I wasn't sure. I thought that maybe I was confusing two Jerrys.

No telling why the mistaken publishing of the obit was made. I wonder if he knew!

This is terrible, just terrible. Practically the first thing I heard on the news when I got up this morning. What a shock! I'd heard he was going to be working on some new spinoff series, and thought that would be a good retirement job for him, maybe 5 or 10 years depending on how the show went over. I had no idea he had prostate cancer.

There's something about Orbach that I've always found very likeable...he's one of those beloved character actors who, when you see them in a movie, it's like spotting an old friend. Damn, damn, DAMN!!!

This is the worst.

Up, because I just happened across THIS PAGE about a Broadway benefit for Gay Men's Health Crisis held on October 26 -- where Jerry Orbach performed (just 2 months ago, in the midst of his own illness). Of all the performers pictured, check out his eyes connecting with the photographer -- and any viewer. Just so sweet, and really THERE -- as MartyJazz said, a real mensch.