Herbie Hancock

frank m

I need help from you guys who know lots about Herbie Hancock.please. I've only recently become addicted to Hancock after hearing "The Piano" . Would you please advise me on what lps or cds for me to get next, bearing in mind that I go beserk when I hear electric piano. I hate it,,it maddens me, it makes me crazy,, ......----- Ok I'm better now, again, would you please tell me what to get by Herbie, then?????? :rolleyes:

What Noj said, and don't forget "Maiden Voyage", which may be his best album ever.

"Takin' Off" and "Speak Like a Child" are also great. Then there's all those Blue Notes where he was a sideman, his work with Miles......

Be careful, "Prisoner" and later Miles containes el. piano.

Hancock the composer is heard best on "Maiden Voyage" and "Speak like a child". Maybe two of the greatest albums ever on the same level (or close) to "Kind of Blue".

To hear him play is best on Miles second great quintet, all the live shows they recorded.

His recent Gershwin's world is great too.

It's a shame you don't like el. piano. Herbie recorded wonderful "fusion" albums (not only "Headhunters").

Spring

Royal Flush

Feelin' The Spirit

Maiden Voyage

My Point Of View

Empyrean Isles

Inventions & Dimensions

Takin' Off

Damn, that's an amazing lineup. I couldn't live without Feelin' The Spirit, Royal Flush, Maiden Voyage and Empyrean Isles, but the others are not far behind IMHO.

Guest akanalog

personally i do not like herbie hancock's version of "funk". especially the stuff with mike clark on the kit-i just don't find it pleasant to listen to.

however if you can get over your prejudice of e-piano, you might want to check out the warner brothers double disc album which included hancock's "fat albert rotunda" "mwandishi" and "crossings" albums. the fat albert album is pleasantly funky jazz with some good soloists and the other two albums are exciting and experimental electric jazz.

also "the prisoner" only contains minimal e-piano and is one of his best so i don't think you should pass it by.

• 1 month later...

I'm in an inexplicable Herbie Hancock mood tonight. To my ears, his piano is very stylish, modern, wandering, and crisp. Herbie's piano has the swing of jazz, the meditative-like nature of new age, and the class of classical. Herbie is really talking to me this evening. I'm playing EMPYREAN ISLES as I type these words.

Check out also Sam Rivers 'Contours' for some wonderful solo work from Herbie, real 'on the edge of your seat' stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I purchased CONTOURS when it was recently released as a Connoisseur. However, it's still in the shrink wrap. I'm thinking, now, that I should open the CD and listen to Herbie. :wacko:

His one handed solo on Miles Smiles is worth the album price alone.

It's true! But his best solo on "Miles Smiles" is with both hands on "Circle".

Herbie's solo on "Circle" is indeed awesome!

Now let's hope for some HSHB official release (a tree is just being distributed, as I understand). In this company, Herbie shines, too, as does Shorter (though I think I slightly prefer Shorter's own quintet).

ubu

Interesting Ubu, what's HSHB?

What may sound cryptical is simply the touring all star package of Hancock-Shorter-Holland-Blade, sorry! I heard a couple of broadcasts (saw one on TV, too), and they're taking almost as many risks as the Shorter quartet takes. Fascinating to see/hear Herbie in that context (though he fails to always convince me in this group, I have to admit).

ubu

I need help from you guys who know lots about Herbie Hancock.please. I've only recently become addicted to Hancock after hearing "The Piano" . Would you please advise me on what lps or cds for me to get next, bearing in mind that I go beserk when I hear electric piano. I hate it,,it maddens me, it makes me crazy,, ......----- Ok I'm better now, again, would you please tell me what to get by Herbie, then?????? :rolleyes:

I would definitely pick up the Headhunters record.

B-) :g:bwallace::bwallace: